WiFi won't turn off while in sleep mode

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed that my battery on my N7 has been draining a lot more recently and I was looking at my usage and my WiFi never turns off. Under WiFi advanced I have it set for WiFi to turn off while in sleep mode unless its plugged in. However its been in sleep mode and unplugged for the past 12 hours and that WiFi bar is solid blue.

I've tried changing the setting around turning my tablet on and off. Nothing has changed it. And I never changed the setting either.

I've also tried turning on and off WiFi optimization as well but no change with that either. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

1RoyR

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I also have mine set to, supposedly, turn wifi off when in sleep mode, but it seems to keep running. Under the setting "keep wifi on during sleep" I have it set to "Never", so wifi should be off during sleep.

To verify what's going on, I turn wifi on, then put the Nexus to sleep. I logged into my wifi router using my laptop...and the Nexus still appears as connected.
I then wake up the Nexus, turn wifi off, then refresh the router screen...Nexus has disappeared and is no longer connected to the router.

So...unless I'm missing something here, wifi remains on during sleep mode in spite of the setting I applied to never keep wifi on during sleep. (BTW, in the above test, I'm not actively running Maps or Navigation, and GPS is off.)

Maybe this is a bug in Android 4.2?

--Roy

[edit]: I disabled Location Access to see if that might be keeping wifi on during sleep. After disabling location access, wifi was still on during sleep.

Last edited:

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Hahaha right I want it to turn off while in sleep and it doesn't not turn off.

According to your OP, the reason it's not turning off is because you have it set to stay awake.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I also have mine set to, supposedly, turn wifi off when in sleep mode, but it seems to keep running. Under the setting "keep wifi on during sleep" I have it set to "Never", so wifi should be off during sleep.

To verify what's going on, I turn wifi on, then put the Nexus to sleep. I logged into my wifi router using my laptop...and the Nexus still appears as connected.
I then wake up the Nexus, turn wifi off, then refresh the router screen...Nexus has disappeared and is no longer connected to the router.

So...unless I'm missing something here, wifi remains on during sleep mode in spite of the setting I applied to never keep wifi on during sleep. (BTW, in the above test, I'm not actively running Maps or Navigation, and GPS is off.)

Maybe this is a bug in Android 4.2?

--Roy

[edit]: I disabled Location Access to see if that might be keeping wifi on during sleep. After disabling location access, wifi was still on during sleep.

This is what i was thinking because i did not have this problem when i first got my N7 and it was only on 4.1. I'll have to try changing it to the "Never" setting as well tonight and see if that makes a difference, If it doesn't like on yours i'll have to agree that its a 4.2 bug.

Also for anyone else wanting to comment on my OP i fixed it. I Have my wifi to turn off during sleep unless its plugged in.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Update on this: I have set the WiFi advanced setting to have WiFi never on when the tablet is in sleep mode.

The battery page shows that it never turns off.

However I notice that when I'm looking at the status bar up top thew WiFi symbol is not "filled in" so I'm assuming off.

Either way there is a bug with this setting. Where do you go to report bugs like this?

1RoyR

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Update on this: I have set the WiFi advanced setting to have WiFi never on when the tablet is in sleep mode.

The battery page shows that it never turns off.

However I notice that when I'm looking at the status bar up top thew WiFi symbol is not "filled in" so I'm assuming off.

Either way there is a bug with this setting. Where do you go to report bugs like this?

How can you see the wifi symbol at the top is not filled in, if the tablet is asleep??

Indigoquilter

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I too am trying to work out exactly how you would know if your tablet is keeping the wifi on when it's asleep. I'm also trying to work out why you'd need the wifi on when the tablet was asleep, come to that.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
On the battery page there are bars for when the screen and WiFi and GPS are on or off. So I can easily tell if WiFi is off while asleep. Also i meant I can see the WiFi symbol after I hit the lock button and it is not filled in. As soon as I unlock the tablet it starts showing how many bars as normal.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
You're not alone!!! It was working as it should till a week ago.

Have you installed any apps recently? There is a property that an app can set in power management API that effect what happens when the device "goes to sleep". This can adversely effect battery life. I noticed some issue with Google Now, but the big app that sucked battery life was TabletTalk.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have my wi-fi set to always stay on during sleep and I only lose 3-4% overnight. There is an app in Play called 'Wakelock Detector' that can show which apps are using wi-fi even if wi-fi is set to be off during sleep. It may help people find out what is really keeping wi-fi on and using excessive battery. I think it is an app, not wi-fi that is the problem.

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, My android 4.1.2 really turns off the wifi when in sleep mode. I see it in the battery monitor.
But after I formated the cell phone, It started with the bug of not turning off the wi-fi in the sleep mode :/
Maybe some app that I installed before has changed the settings!
Before, my battery was lasting almost 4 days... now 2 days... and I have sure that it's because the wi-fi.

Any solution here?
Thanks

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have my wi-fi set to always stay on during sleep and I only lose 3-4% overnight. There is an app in Play called 'Wakelock Detector' that can show which apps are using wi-fi even if wi-fi is set to be off during sleep. It may help people find out what is really keeping wi-fi on and using excessive battery. I think it is an app, not wi-fi that is the problem.

Wakelock Detector is not yet compatible with Kitkat 4.4.2.

Sent from my SM-N900P using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1