Buying apps for child's nexus 7

DanRrrr

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the total newbie style question. Basically my 7 year old daughter has a nexus 7 and want's an app that costs 0.69p. If I logged into her device with my Google login, would the app be there under her account? I really don't want to put my card details onto a 7 year old's Google wallet. But there really just doesn't seem to be a way to buy apps without associating payment with the user.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

DanRrrr

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Setting up multiple acounts on the nexus is easy enough, but it seems you get your own areas, (but I haven't bothered logging into hers with my account yet). So it looks like the apps are account specific. It seems ridiculous that google expect all their users to be carrying credit cards and only accepts payment via google wallet for the account that's looks at the app for sale. I felt a bit odd setting her up with a google account, but it's required to operate the nexus. There is no way I'm addning my card details to it though, and I bet I'm not the only one.

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
What you need to do is set up the tablet as you the owner.

Example:
We have to Nexus7 tablets in the house and this is how I set it up.

My Nexus 7 I'm the only user with my gmail and wallet account.

My wife's Nexus 7 has two users, me the owner with my gmail and wallet account and her as the second user with just a gmail account so she can receive her own mail, because her tablet is used at times by our two granddaughters I put a password on the play store on her tablet, all app purchases are done either using my tablet or my PC at the Google play store, once I buy an app it asks me what tablet to download, once that app is paid for I can also send it to the other tablet because it is own by the account.

On her tablet she can get free apps and will not ask her for a password, my portion of her tablet is clean, no apps, no widgets just empty, the gmail in her tablet only checks her gmail account, her calendar is also independent of mine although we share the calendar so anything I add on mine shows up on her calendar widget and vice versa so we know what each other has on the agenda.

Hope this answer your question.

Sent from planet earth

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
You can add multiple accounts for a single user in the Play Store, but I think that means your daughter will be able to access the email on that account. You could perhaps try installing a paid app from your account then removing your account to see if it will let you keep using that app, if it does that might be an option.

You can set a pin for purchases on the Play Store which should stop your daughter buying things with your credit card details if you choose to add them to her account or it is actually quite easy to delete card details from the Google wallet website, a bit ridiculous adding and deleting card details for a single 69p purchase, I know, but safer than just setting a pin.

I don't think Play Store gift card are available in the UK yet (assuming that's where you are from the currency), but according to this article last month, it doesn't look like it will be too long before they are.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

repligation

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Easiest way is simply add a PIN to your Google Play account, then she can't buy stuff herself.

Yes, first add a pin to your account. I also have Kids Place installed which allows you to select the apps you want them to be able to access and is pin protected to exit and change settings.

Nothing can substitute for proper parental supervision though. We don't allow either of our children to use internet connected devices unless they are in the same room with us.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the total newbie style question. Basically my 7 year old daughter has a nexus 7 and want's an app that costs 0.69p. If I logged into her device with my Google login, would the app be there under her account? I really don't want to put my card details onto a 7 year old's Google wallet. But there really just doesn't seem to be a way to buy apps without associating payment with the user.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

buy a google play gift card for $5 or $10 and add it to her account. Google Play ? Google
make the purchase and lock the play store with a pin so that purchases can only be done with that pin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463