Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TomsAndroid
  • 1 Post By crowrb29
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Tab 7.7 and Nexus 7 Comparison

I am considering picking up my first ever tablet. I think I have it narrowed down to the Tab 7.7 and N7. I wanted to know if anyone has had any hands on experience with both. I searched around a lot and found a bunch of threads on these two, but they are old. The price of the Tab 7.7 was very high then and most people factored that into their choice. Now I can get a Tab 7.7 for around $200-$250. So just figure that I can get the Tab and N7 for the same price in your opinions.

I really don't care too much about network compatibility. I currently have a Galaxy S3 from Verizon and would just connect either tablet via wifi (from home or phone). I feel like the 10 inch tablets out there are too big and that is why I am looking for something in the 7" range. I just feel like the 7" may be too small and the 7.7 might hit my sweet spot a little bit better. My uses will include; ebook reading (I have a Kindle Touch that I still plan to use at times), web browsing, email, social media and maybe a few games here or there. I also plan on using it for work (use for hvac tech and sales).

I will probably end up rooting and flashing roms on either device. I know that the N7 would be the clear winner in dev support. If I go with the Tab 7.7 will I be able to keep getting upgrades in OS for the next year or two from the existing dev support? I usually like to find a rom and stick with it also. I don't need to keep flashing a new one every other week.

I am leaning more towards the Tab 7.7 as of now. The main factor is the slightly larger screen. I just feel like I that extra .7 in will make a big difference.

Default Re: Galaxy Tab 7.7 and Nexus 7 Comparison

The screen on the 7.7 is the best thing I see about my 7.7 and the thickness but android updates are almost nonexistent and not to many apps like to work well on it. The N7 will be getting android updates for some time yet. The 7.7 tablet is a very old tablet and the N7 is old but much newer. The 7.7 does have a rear camera the N7 does not. The 7.7 has nice speakers the speakers on the N7 well they are just speakers. There is a problem with volume to the speakers or the BT or earphones right now on movies and music that I have not figured out with the N7 yet. I just wish I could get that figured out. If you plan on taking care of your own updates I would like the 7.7 the best as well but I don't do that at least at this time.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned I plan on flashing roms to get the most up to date OS that is available. I am mainly concerned that the Tab 7.7 hardware is out of date. I know it is only duel core, but I have heard that it is still pretty quick. I do not plan on doing any really hardcore gaming on either device. I am really interested in the screen size in people who have both. I don't like the 10 inch tablets because they are not as comfortable to transport around and use to read in bed. Does the Tab 7.7 seem uncomfortable to hold compared to the N7?

The 7.7 is comfortable to hold while using. I like the 7.7 best myself which is the reason I gave the N7 to my son to use. You will be making a good choice with the 7.7 screen. I have no problem with the quickness of the 7.7. I also like the fact the 7.7 has the slot for the mini sd card which the N7 does not. On another note, there are many Verizonwireless customers unhappy with the 7.7 right now as VZW is having a rough time getting them upgraded from 3.2 to 4.04 Android and may be willing to part with their 7.7 for cheap. This is the issue with my 7.7 right now. I am giving them a while longer and then I will do something with it myself. Good luck with what ever you decide

Loved my 7.7" until I bricked it...now I am waiting for the GT-N5100 to be released - hopefully at MWC in February since it was a no show at CES. The hope is the 5100 has either a 7.7" or an 8.9" screen replacing either the current Galaxy Tab 7.7" or 8.9" with a mid-size Galaxy Note (the N in N5100 is the typical prefix for a Note device) tablet and Jellybean.

ROM
    Stockness

Quote Originally Posted by Aspi914 View Post
    Loved my 7.7" until I bricked it...now I am waiting for the GT-N5100 to be released - hopefully at MWC in February since it was a no show at CES. The hope is the 5100 has either a 7.7" or an 8.9" screen replacing either the current Galaxy Tab 7.7" or 8.9" with a mid-size Galaxy Note (the N in N5100 is the typical prefix for a Note device) tablet and Jellybean.
    +1, we shall see though.

I don't have the Galaxy but I have a Nexus 7 and I love it! It's super fast, runs pure android out-of-the-box and is very nice to hold. Even if you don't do much hardcore gaming, I think the speed of the N7 is nice to have. I use it for reading, browsing and watching as well as occasional gaming and I feel that it excels at all of these things.

Good luck with your decision :-)

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    crowrb29 likes this.

I would think the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is more of a direct comparison
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

The main reason I am comparing the N7 and Tab is because of the screen size. I want to know if anybody feels like the extra 10% of screen size on the Tab is noticeable. If it is, is that a good (more screen realty), or a bad (too big to handle comfortably)?

I already know the N7 has the better hardware and speeds. I am wondering if for my basic uses would that hardware discrepancy even be noticeable. I mentioned that I plan on rooting so I hope to have updated OS on both for at least a little while. I don't need to flash a ton of custom roms all the time either. Really just 1 per OS update.

Since I am now able to get both for the same cost I am considering them both. If the hardware won't make much difference for what my needs call for and cost is the same, then really only screen size, screen display and expandable storage matter. Boiled down to that, does it make the Tab the better choice? I am afraid that 7" would be to small for my needs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_11 View Post
    The main reason I am comparing the N7 and Tab is because of the screen size. I want to know if anybody feels like the extra 10% of screen size on the Tab is noticeable. If it is, is that a good (more screen realty), or a bad (too big to handle comfortably)?

I already know the N7 has the better hardware and speeds. I am wondering if for my basic uses would that hardware discrepancy even be noticeable. I mentioned that I plan on rooting so I hope to have updated OS on both for at least a little while. I don't need to flash a ton of custom roms all the time either. Really just 1 per OS update.

Since I am now able to get both for the same cost I am considering them both. If the hardware won't make much difference for what my needs call for and cost is the same, then really only screen size, screen display and expandable storage matter. Boiled down to that, does it make the Tab the better choice? I am afraid that 7" would be to small for my needs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    As I said before, I use my Nexus 7 for the same things you want to and the screen size is great for those things. Also, the screen size difference isn't going to be huge as both tablets are the same ratio. Comparing these to the iPad mini with it's 4:3 ratio is a bit different and in that case, the size difference would be big.

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The nexus seven feels awesome in my hands.it works great for everything and had no apps that it is currently incompatible with. Also if you do like games its good to take terra into consideration seeing how there are a lot of games made specifically for tegra systems. I think its awesome. Best bang for your buck I would say. The last time I saw a g tab or g 7 it was going for at least 250 and that was for the 8 gb model. Yes you can use an sd but you may run into issues with certain apps that way.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    TomsAndroid likes this.