Buying a Nexus 7 from Craigslist

Lotuse

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Tomorrow I am meeting a guy from Craiglist at a local starbucks to buy a Nexus 7 8gb for $160.
Can you give me any tips on how I should check the Nexus if everything is working properly. He says there are some cosmetic scratches on the things around the screen but not the actually screen.

yes, I'm also bringing a friend.

dbrides

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Shell out the extra 100.00 and buy a brand new 32gb...Just my opinion

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Tomorrow I am meeting a guy from Craiglist at a local starbucks to buy a Nexus 7 8gb for $160.
Can you give me any tips on how I should check the Nexus if everything is working properly. He says there are some cosmetic scratches on the things around the screen but not the actually screen.

yes, I'm also bringing a friend.

Too much $$

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Shell out an extra $39 and get a new 16 GB Nexus 7.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
That's WAY too much for an 8GB in my opinion. Especially a used one with "cosmetic" scratches. That gives a bit of insight into how it's been handled and treated.

Last edited:

Lotuse

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Okay. You see guys, the economy has hit my family hard and on Monday is my son's Bday so I've been saving enough money to get something he wanted.
i wish i could just "shell" out 40-100 bucks. I know it sounds like another sob story but its true =/ Anyways i talked to the guy and said he lower it down to 150
If this is still too much can you show me where I can get it for cheaper online, If local then near the Los angeles Area?

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Okay. You see guys, the economy has hit my family hard and on Monday is my son's Bday so I've been saving enough money to get something he wanted.
i wish i could just "shell" out 40-100 bucks. I know it sounds like another sob story but its true =/ Anyways i talked to the guy and said he lower it down to 150
If this is still too much can you show me where I can get it for cheaper online, If local then near the Los angeles Area?

I can't help you find one but that doesn't alter the fact (my opinion) that even $150 is too much for a pretty much obsolete model. I just hate to see you spend that much for it. A $100, maybe, but no more in my opinion.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I think what you're seeing here is the fact that nobody wants a 8gb version, and I'm one of em. But hardware wise, the only difference is the 8gb part, so it's not "obsolete". That being said, you should still look at it that way for buying purposes. Personally on cragslist, I like to low ball an offer with a "and I can pick it up today". Even though you've already set up a meet you can still low ball him. Either go to a staples, or say you did, and tell him that you just can't pay that much for a used damaged one when you can get it new for X amount. I myself wouldn't pay $100 for it, but if I were in your situation, I would probably go $130. But whatever you end up paying, so long as it works, he'll be happy with it....

Speaking of it working, check the speakers! Play a song wide open and listen for any cracking for the speakers. That's a minimum $35 on ebay IF you can find them. Be sure you're near a wifi access point to check the wifi (mcdonalds comes to mind). Speaking of going by staples, you should just to get a feel of what it looks and feels like so you'll know the difference (if any)....

Good luck and happy Bday to your kid....

Spinnaker15136

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Buy a gift certificate and let. your son make up the difference. Check for certificates that have a long term. That is too much money for a used 8g nexus plus he wont be happy with 8g.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, hope I didn't sound too cavalier or callous before. In addition to what mathelm suggested above, I would also do the following:

1. Test the touchscreen as thoroughly as you can. Do this by selecting various app shortcuts in different areas of the screen, and also bringing up the keyboard (easiest to do this by tapping the Google search bar) and typing something like "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

2. Look for screenlift--this is where the glass screen has lifted a little, usually on the left side when viewing in portrait orientation. This is a known issue with many units, and often is minor and inconsequential, but in some cases can lead to noticeable screen artifact. If it isn't obvious, try pressing down on the glass on the left side and compare it to the right--if it feels squishy on the left, there's probably some screenlift. As I said above, though, it is often inconsequential.

3. Test out the microphone. This is best done using voice commands or voice search (the microphone icon on the Google Search bar), but this requires an internet connection.

4. Test the charger--plug it in and make sure the unit confirms that it is charging. Ideally, you should get the charger that came with the Nexus 7 (the charging block and USB cord should both have "ASUS" on them).

Good luck!

opteron7

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Offer him 140.00 everyone on Craigslist low balls, so he shouldn't be surprised. Also items on Craigslist start at higher price point than ebay, but sell way cheaper on Craigslist.

As a rule I always low ball on Craigslist and I make it known they should not get offended and it's worth a try most of the time I end up getting the item close to my low ball offer. Recently got a Asus matrix hd 7970 platinum for 350.00, :-D.

Good luck....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Vaibhav Sharma1

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
go for brand new items always, first of all why would someone agree to see a n7 so soon i mean its been some 4-5 months since its been released plus. If the n7 stops a working in a month it will hit u harder so go for tab2 or kindle fire or hd or any other economy tab but go for a brand new tab.If u can buy a new brand new 8/16/32gb n7. You'll have less problems.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
go for brand new items always, first of all why would someone agree to see a n7 so soon i mean its been some 4-5 months since its been released plus. If the n7 stops a working in a month it will hit u harder so go for tab2 or kindle fire or hd or any other economy tab but go for a brand new tab.If u can buy a new brand new 8/16/32gb n7. You'll have less problems.

The OP already noted that the economy has hit them pretty hard, and it would be difficult to afford a brand new device right now. I'm not sure you can find a Galaxy Tab or Kindle Fire HD for $150 or under. Maybe an original Fire, but that's a more limited experience than the Nexus 7.

I don't think it's too surprising that someone is selling an 8 GB Nexus 7--it may be that he or she bought a 16 or 32 GB device, and has no need for the 8 GB now. I can certainly imagine many people on this forum doing the same.

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't do it...

An 8gb, if they still sold them, would only be 150 NIB... This is used and comes with no warranty... The Tablet Holder probably bought it before they phased out, so they paid 200 NIB...

The value of their Tablet went down unfortunately.... 150 for a used 8gb is a ripoff... In my area, Detroit Metro, Craigslist has N7 16gb for about 150/160

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
It's a shame that the OP lives about 200 miles from me. I have an 8GB model with very little use and not a mark on it that I would have sold for $100 and throw in a case and stylus. Since getting my first 32GB a couple of weeks after the 8GB, it's seen no use at all.

Vaibhav Sharma1

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The OP already noted that the economy has hit them pretty hard, and it would be difficult to afford a brand new device right now. I'm not sure you can find a Galaxy Tab or Kindle Fire HD for $150 or under. Maybe an original Fire, but that's a more limited experience than the Nexus 7.

I don't think it's too surprising that someone is selling an 8 GB Nexus 7--it may be that he or she bought a 16 or 32 GB device, and has no need for the 8 GB now. I can certainly imagine many people on this forum doing the same.

ive had really bad experiences with second stuff so I wound not recommend buying it also there plenty of economy tabs(dunno about US) but there a few India, dunno about the US but they might be available there too. See, he might save 50$ or so now but what if it stops working in a month or a week, a brand new one will have warranty or else look at other options

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis