• 2 Post By nrm5110
  • 3 Post By Chris Flowers
  • 1 Post By Suntan
  • 1 Post By mathelm
  • 1 Post By mr_nobody
  • 1 Post By NealJ777
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Let it run or turn it off?

Given the N7's great battery life when it's sleeping I'm thinking about never turning it off, except for charging. It's convenient to always have it ready to go, but I thought long run times might wear it out prematurely, since it is a complex computational device (but without the spinning hard drive).

Does anyone have info on whether it's better for the N7 to leave it on, or turn it off when it's not going to be in use for awhile (like overnight)?

I'm hoping for some fact-based replies here, rather than "gut feelings" or unfounded opinions. I already know many simple devices run all the time without problems, but the N7 is NOT a simple device.

Many thanks...

Roy

Default Re: Let it run or turn it off?

Sorry, the N7 is a simple device. One little SoC with solid state memory, a screen and a battery.

Theoretically, the most wear a CE device like this will see is during transients. Turning off/on, going from full load to idle ect.

Realistically, powering it full off each night isn't going to do anything one way or the other. Maybe it would make your power button wear out a little sooner.

Lastly, shutting down to charge is pointless. The device will automatically boot up once it is plugged in.

-Suntan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

....Lastly, shutting down to charge is pointless. The device will automatically boot up once it is plugged in.

-Suntan
    You sure about that? When I plug it in when it's off, It briefly shows a charging icon, but no bootup or unlock screen.
    Last edited by 1RoyR; 01-13-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

I pesonally own and use three of the N7's and not a single one "boots up" when I plug in the charger. As the last poster stated, it shows that it's charging, then goes black again.

I never leave any of mine running or sleeping when not in use.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

The hardest thing on electronics is powering on.

Its much easier on the device itself to leave it on. Charging while powered is fine as current tech normally stops the flow of power to the battery after its charged. As for the os it will clear out ram and stuff but honestly that's more of a hindrance as well since the os will need to fill it back up. Honestly powering down when you don't need to is counter productive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    badbrad17 and GKWANNABE like this.

I always keep mine on all the time and only turn it off fully 2-3 times a week. That way its always ready to go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

keep it ON all the time. its meant to be that way just like a phone.

also no point in shutting down when charging. all you get is it become full charge 5 minutes earlier.

Why would you ever turn it off? I mean it nice n all to look at these things as precious little jewels that we'll keep forever and ever. But the fact is that they have a lifespan of 1 to 3 years, not hardware wise, but it's usefulness. IMO, (and the way I use it) the only reason to turn it off is to save the battery or when it just needs to be rebooted ( lockups n what not)....

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

I suppose it's just a matter of what you use the N7 for and where you use it. I never, or rarely ever, use one of mine at home. I take it with me where ever I go and since I eat out usually twice a day (alone), I do most of my reading on it then and some web surfing.

They're very cool gadgets, but for home use, they'll never replace my home computers for anything, so I see no point in them being left on or sleeping all the time.

I do leave my Galaxy S3 on all the time even when charging next to my bed at night, but that's only because it's a phone and I want folks to be able to reach me in an emergency.
    Different strokes as they say.

Tablets are arguably designed to be left on (with the occasionally restart to flush out any memory resident burdens). It's their major selling point over notebooks to be honest. A major pull towards tablets is their 'instant on' or 'always on' nature. You can pick it up and within seconds be on the internet looking up that actor in that TV show who you recognise but can't remember's name! Clock screensaver's, alarms and docks are another clue to it's intended usage in that it doubles as a bedside alarm clock.

I rarely turn my touch screen portable devices off (iPad 2, iPhone 5, Nexus 7). However, each to their own. It's your device at the end of the day, and you use it in whatever means you seen fit.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by 1RoyR View Post
    You sure about that? When I plug it in when it's off, It briefly shows a charging icon, but no bootup or unlock screen.
    Sorry, should have been more specific, but what do you think happened right before it showed that battery icon? ....Yeah, the system powered up, and the SoC started displaying the battery icon image that is stored on the flash memory.

Just because it doesn't go through a full boot and present you with a lockscreen, doesn't mean that it isn't at pretty much the same run state as if it did, at least from a component power-on standpoint.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by plumberdv View Post
    I pesonally own and use three of the N7's and not a single one "boots up" when I plug in the charger.
    It is booting up when it shows you that batt icon. Just because it isn't loading the full android OS, doesn't mean that the system is awake and using power.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

It is booting up when it shows you that batt icon. Just because it isn't loading the full android OS, doesn't mean that the system is awake and using power.
    -Suntan
    I have no idea how to take that statement, it makes no sense to me.

It appears that there are at least two definitions of "booting up".
    Last edited by plumberdv; 01-13-2013 at 04:16 PM.

I have no idea how to take that statement, it makes no sense to me.

It appears that there are at least two definitions of "booting up".
    The process of "booting" is not just one step. It is multiple steps. Loading the OS is just the last step.

In any case, believe whatever you like about the little battery image that appears when you plug in the device. If it makes sense to you that little elves hold up a card with a battery picture just under the screen, I'm fine with that.

-Suntan
    mr_nobody likes this.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Just re-read the sentence that I highlighted in red and explain it to me. I suspect that you have a typo in it and that it doesn't say what you meant it to say.

Perhaps that's your definition of booting up but mine has always been when it starts up and goes into operating status.

I hate to wade into this, but think of it like your PC. First the bios loads, then the OS (windows or whatever). Even without a OS, or rather before, everything that consumes power is running (cpu, fans etc..). It's a little different with the N7, but not much. For instance we now know that the side pogo pin contacts (for dock charging and sound) are controlled via software. This couldn't happen without the bios booting. So yes it does "boot" to the bios when off and a charger is connected. But at a relatively low (or lower than booted to OS) power state...

btw, it also still draws power when off and with nothing connected to it....
    Thanked by:
    GKWANNABE likes this.

If it makes sense to you that little elves hold up a card with a battery picture just under the screen, I'm fine with that.

-Suntan
    I think those damn elves are responsible for my screen lift also. ;-)
    CGleas85 likes this.

The process of "booting" is not just one step. It is multiple steps. Loading the OS is just the last step.

In any case, believe whatever you like about the little battery image that appears when you plug in the device. If it makes sense to you that little elves hold up a card with a battery picture just under the screen, I'm fine with that.

-Suntan
    You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. (sorry, it just had to be said!)
    plumberdv likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. (sorry, it just had to be said!)
    No more rhyming, I mean it!

-Suntan

Just re-read the sentence that I highlighted in red and explain it to me. I suspect that you have a typo in it and that it doesn't say what you meant it to say.

Perhaps that's your definition of booting up but mine has always been when it starts up and goes into operating status.
    Apologies for using double negatives. I will state it as such, The SoC and other components in the device can all be powered up and running even if you don't have a lock screen pop up.

-Suntan

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts

Like a new printer, even when plugged in and turned off, it is still using juice. Now, sleep mode does use considerably more juice than turned off. The remaining variable is the powering up and down phase. This phase uses more juice then you simply seeing your installed apps. But even this won't really cause mortals wear on the device, let's say within five years. What may get worn out within this time is the battery. Maybe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

To sum up then, leave it switched on
    Tabpimps.com
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by dddougal View Post
    To sum up then, leave it switched on
    Sounds like a wise decision.
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Roy