Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Really?

So I buy a movie to watch and went out to buy a micro USB to HDMI cable and find out that you can't do this....complete garbage
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Really?

I don't think it's advertised anywhere that the Nexus 7 can connect to a TV via HDMI. Did you automatically assume it could?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Well yes I assumed...think about it everything is becoming digital and so you would think that you font always want to watch a movie on your tablet. So now I hope I can watch the movie I bought on the play store via my computer to my TV using HDMI....at least apple gets it right with tablets

Quote Originally Posted by mojosodope_2 View Post
    Well yes I assumed
    You know what they say about that...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes I do but what's the point of buying digital now?

I feel your pain.....I like many of the other N7 owners figured on miricast working wirelessly with the N7, but that hasn't happened.....I actually found a great alternative though for watching content on my HD TV...I bought an android mini computer on Amazon for $55.00 a mini wireless keyboard for $30.00 and installed XBMC watch all the movies and content I would ever want.....also surf the web, and do anything I can do on my tablet or PC.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

But can I watch Google play movies on my TV via HDMI from my computer

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Problem solved then. You don't need to watch them from your N7.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

So I can do that correct?

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

did you try to pair n7 with youtube tv? i think they want us to pair n7 to youtube tv and that way you should able to watch it on your tv. (gotta have smart tv) but i'm not sure about that.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

My mistake, I misread your "can I watch" as "I can watch". I have no idea if that will work or not.

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

i use my old galaxy 2 skyrocket to stream movies to TV... it has DLNA! LOL!

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Sad thing is my old Archos Internet 70 tablet from 2010 has hdmi output on it and I only paid $299 for it back then and it didn't even run Froyo at first. But at least I knew that the N7 didn't have it when I bought it. The thing that caught by surprise was not being able to use a headset with a mic . Thst just plain stupid.

Well yes I assumed...think about it everything is becoming digital and so you would think that you font always want to watch a movie on your tablet. So now I hope I can watch the movie I bought on the play store via my computer to my TV using HDMI....at least apple gets it right with tablets
    There's no way I'd have spent twice the price on an iPad Mini just to get the potential for video out (with an extra adapter) and end up with a device lacking in every other aspect. In any case, got a DLNA app so I'm sorted on the TV, my N7, and my Galaxy S . But I'm puzzled. If I want to watch content on my 46" Samsung, the N7 wouldn't be my first choice to deliver it? What am I missing?
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

The OP wants to be able to view a movie bought on Google Play movies on a large screen TV, and was hoping that he could play it on TV by connecting the Nexus 7 to it.

To the OP: You can play any of your Google Play Movies directly on your computer. So if you wanted to watch it on a big screen, all you need to do is hook up your computer via HDMI to your TV, go to play.google.com/movies, select your movie, and click Play. You can then expand it to full screen. Not sure about HD content, though.

I think people often lose sight of the fact that the Nexus 7 is a sub-$200 device that already packs a huge punch, and was originally intended to be a budget-friendly device, not a do-everything ultramachine. If Google/Asus loaded more things in it like microHDMI out, SD support, and rear-facing cameras, we'd be looking at a device that is closer to $300, and therefore not as phenomenal of a value.
    Thanked by:
    MJKearney likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I still like my nexus 7 but had I known that j would have purchased the movies on my iPad 4

Too bad you didn't get a Blackberry Playbook which has HDMI port. But then no Netflix or Skype and may not be able to get movies you want. Maybe Netgear Neo.

Was your computer $199?

No?

I didn't think so.

So you don't need to call the Nexus 7 garbage just because it didn't allow you to play a movie through USB to HDMI. Talk about First World Problems.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I don't think its garbage....the situation is garbage

Since it doesn't have an HDMI port an HDMI cable will never work. Maybe Google will at sometime provide an OTG solution using the USB port. Is this possible or maybe already possible if the N7 is rooted?

never assume anything
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by jpash549 View Post
    Since it doesn't have an HDMI port an HDMI cable will never work. Maybe Google will at sometime provide an OTG solution using the USB port. Is this possible or maybe already possible if the N7 is rooted?

That's what I was hoping for

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    The OP wants to be able to view a movie bought on Google Play movies on a large screen TV, and was hoping that he could play it on TV by connecting the Nexus 7 to it.

To the OP: You can play any of your Google Play Movies directly on your computer. So if you wanted to watch it on a big screen, all you need to do is hook up your computer via HDMI to your TV, go to play.google.com/movies, select your movie, and click Play. You can then expand it to full screen. Not sure about HD content, though.

I think people often lose sight of the fact that the Nexus 7 is a sub-$200 device that already packs a huge punch, and was originally intended to be a budget-friendly device, not a do-everything ultramachine. If Google/Asus loaded more things in it like microHDMI out, SD support, and rear-facing cameras, we'd be looking at a device that is closer to $300, and therefore not as phenomenal of a value.
    Thanks B. At home my AV kit is all "smart" so I couldn't visualise a scenario where I'd have content on the N7, but not on the rest. And if that was the case, I'd DLNA it over anyway, or copy it to my laptop, which does have HDMI out.

However, on a similar post, someone has pointed out that the 7" N7 format sits nicely between the phone and a laptop, and might be taken away when the laptop would be left at home. So, hotel TV with HDMI in, yes, I could see that.

I did seriously consider the 64Gb BB Playbook which is incredibly cheap over here and has HDMI out and better on-board audio. But the screen wasn't as good and as I don't have one of their phones, I had no use for the sync'ing, and just didn't want to have to learn a new OS, even ignoring BB10 coming out, which may/may not save them.

So, yes, I can see a use on the N7 and might have been ready to spend, say, 25 more to get it. But its lack is just not a deal-breaker for me. Other folks MMV.
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

To the OP, some simple research up front would have rectified this situation for you. Why would you purchased something having not done your due diligence on it? As has been mentioned previously in this thread, the reason the Nexus 7 is so affordable is that it doesn't have every bell and whistle. I weighed this out before I made the purchased and figured I could live without HDMI out, although it would have been nice. I don't regret my purchase one bit as the N7 is a pretty killer machine and I get tons of use out it.
    B. Diddy and flacousa like this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by TheStanger View Post
    To the OP, some simple research up front would have rectified this situation for you. Why would you purchased something having not done your due diligence on it? As has been mentioned previously in this thread, the reason the Nexus 7 is so affordable is that it doesn't have every bell and whistle. I weighed this out before I made the purchased and figured I could live without HDMI out, although it would have been nice. I don't regret my purchase one bit as the N7 is a pretty killer machine and I get tons of use out it.
    Never said I don't like this tablet but good looking out, have a good one chief

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast