Textbooks?

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
So I will be buying a couple of reference books for my MBA if the books in my public or university library are not enough for citing material but renting an ebook is way more cost effective for an ebook than renting a physical book. It would have saved me over $500 this semester.

Yea I guess also it depends on your major. The majority of books that I'll use on my way to get a PsyD will be useful in practice or as reference so I actually would keep mine. Now classes that don't matter or really general text I do rent but things that are core to certain majors especially science and probably IT I'd guess retain their value after school. I like ebooks for casual reading but I just can't seem to get used to em.

I wouldn't ever get a macbook air either. Now a macbook pro I shall have soon again lol. Ahhh I must have macs on the brain to have automatically thought macbook air instead of masters in business administration(that is right, right?)

rkeenan

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I am thought about buying a Mac but I can't justify a decent one costing about the same as a gaming laptop. They look nice but I have no reason to buy one. I spent $380 on a HP laptop with Windows 8 and I couldn't be happier.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I am thought about buying a Mac but I can't justify a decent one costing about the same as a gaming laptop. They look nice but I have no reason to buy one. I spent $380 on a HP laptop with Windows 8 and I couldn't be happier.

spoken like a true biz major. good luck with your studies and finding ebooks to rent --- some profs want you to buy THEIR book -- I wonder why ?? lol

anyway, if you buy an android, OS tablet like the N7 you have access to the full range of eReaders and their formats, so makes no diff.

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
spoken like a true biz major. good luck with your studies and finding ebooks to rent --- some profs want you to buy THEIR book -- I wonder why ?? lol

anyway, if you buy an android, OS tablet like the N7 you have access to the full range of eReaders and their formats, so makes no diff.

Exactly I had two classes that were taught using a book the professor had just written and was only available in the bookstore. Go ahead and try taking a 4000 lvl philosophy class without a book lol.

Another reason I got a macbook is that half of the computers on campus are imacs so it makes logging on and using thumbdrives or the cloud blah blah much simpler.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Not if you plan on citing it you can't. You're going to be using books, whether its an ebook or physical. You can't cite some random ass website in a case study or research paper or a critique.

It may vary by program / school, but you can cite websites --- if you can find it, you can cite it. BibMe: Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian - Free is a great tool -- supports MLA, APA, Chicago Manual of Style, and Turabian bibliographies. You'll have to decide if the website is germane and whether or not you can defend it, but you can certainly attribute the work to the author and cite it.

on a side note: OORAH ! thank you for serving. Good luck with your studies!

whymista

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
It may vary by program / school, but you can cite websites --- if you can find it, you can cite it. BibMe: Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian - Free is a great tool -- supports MLA, APA, Chicago Manual of Style, and Turabian bibliographies. You'll have to decide if the website is germane and whether or not you can defend it, but you can certainly attribute the work to the author and cite it.

on a side note: OORAH ! thank you for serving. Good luck with your studies!

Oh I agree you can cite websites, I was more meaning along the lines that you have to be sure its a website that is considered academic. You most likely wouldn't get away with citing an article on yahoo if you're doing a research paper on something scientific whereas if you are doing something on business it may be considered academic because the requirements are different.

I know our school uses I think refworks or something like that where you just plug in any website or article into it and it will automatically cite it for you, which is so much better than when I was in high school having to manually cite stuff lol.

I'm actually considering taking a break from school to go back over but this time as a civie for a few years to save up money then finish up and work on my PsyD. Civilian life is so boring at times ha.