Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Default New Nexus 7 owner with a question or two

Greetings, just got a Nexus 7 32gb and love it! Sold my iPad for it so I could have only one ecosystem to buy into (have a Galaxy S3 as my phone) and so far I can't see myself going back to anything Apple. Couple questions though:

1) It comes with like 5 blank pages, no icons on them, and these are simple to remove on the GSIII, but I can't figure out how to delete them on the Nexus.

2) As this device only has 1GB of RAM, I would like to monitor it closer and make sure that when it gets low, I know it, and can quickly close apps that are running. Does anyone know of any notifications or widgets that bring RAM usage onto the screen so I don't have to go into Settings everytime?

3) The wife is getting annoyed at being woken up by email notifications in the middle of the night. On my GSIII, I just have to swipe down from the notification bar and there is a "mute" feature. I can't find one on the Nexus 7 and I really don't want to have to turn my volume down every night. There has to be a better way.....right?

Default Re: New Nexus 7 owner with a question or two

I can't help with 1 and 2 but there is a separate volume slider for notifications so you could just "mute" them during the night rather than muting all sound from the tablet completely.
    Thanked by:
    jblank 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Yeah, kinda want the "quick and easy" route, lol. I figure somewhere, there is some "mute" setting, I just gotta find it.

Quote Originally Posted by jblank View Post
    Yeah, kinda want the "quick and easy" route, lol. I figure somewhere, there is some "mute" setting, I just gotta find it.
    If you hold down the power button for about a second you get the option to put the tablet into "Silent mode".. Maybe that's more suitable for your needs?
    Thanked by:
    jblank 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Ah, that will be perfect. I don't have it with me here now, but I will test it when I get home tonight. Now if I could just get some help with #1 and #2. Thanks Griff!

I am by no means a android expert, but it's my understanding that it does such a good job at managing ram that it's not an issue. But if you go to the play store and type in something like "ram manager", it comes up with several apps. I personally have ES Task Manager installed, but have never "had" to use it, even though I do from time to time...

I don't know that you can dump the extra pages, but double tapping the home button brings up the main (center) one....
    Thanked by:
    jblank 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Does that ES Task Manager come with a Widget? I would kind of like to monitor the memory usage anyway, so even if I decide to let the OS control the memory, I still would like to monitor it on the main screen.

Yes, I believe it does. Small one...

Thanked by:
    jblank 

The Nexus 7 uses the stock Android launcher for the home screens which doesn't allow you to add or delete the home screens, but you can install a different launcher if you want extra features, Nova Launcher will let you do what you want, but there are other launchers.
    Thanked by:
    jblank 
    cjones likes this.

2) As this device only has 1GB of RAM, I would like to monitor it closer and make sure that when it gets low, I know it, and can quickly close apps that are running. Does anyone know of any notifications or widgets that bring RAM usage onto the screen so I don't have to go into Settings everytime?
    Android is designed to operate with memory full...there is no advantage to clearing out memory manually. Android will auto-close apps as needed...
    Thanked by:
    jblank 
    Ry likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Oh, ok. Well, it's not a huge deal, I'm just anal about my devices being as tidy as possible, and I hate having all that extra space/pages. I thank you for the information though.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

That's interesting. I still would like to have a widget on the front screen to monitor it (it just is the tech in me coming out lol). I am a convert from Apple and am still learning Android. Love it though, thanks for the information!

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

elixer widget can display ram usage and tons of other "techy" info you may want.
    Thanked by:
    jblank 

Oh, ok. Well, it's not a huge deal, I'm just anal about my devices being as tidy as possible, and I hate having all that extra space/pages. I thank you for the information though.
    If you want to get rid of the extra home screens (I always do this on my devices) just install another launcher like apex or nova. There are free versions and by default they will be pretty much identical to stock EXCEPT you can easily blow away the extra screens. Well worth the effort, IMO...
    Thanked by:
    jblank 

You could use a widget like Power Toggles, which is a highly customizable widget bar, including a volume mute.
    Thanked by:
    jblank 
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Cool, gonna check that out this evening.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

If it doesn't change things too much, I might look into it then.

Before I go to bed I swipe down on right side of the screen and tap the airplane, no more annoying e-mail alerts

Sent from planet earth
    Thanked by:
    jblank 
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Hmm, ya know, I didn't think about that. Good battery saver as well I would imagine.

Airplane mode doesn't save you a whole lot of battery if you only have the wifi version of the Nexus 7. If you keep your wifi and Bluetooth on all the time, Airplane mode will shut both of them off, but that's about it. If you have the HSPA+ version, Airplane mode would also turn off the mobile data, which would be more of a battery savings, but you can do all of this with Power Toggles, just with more fine control

If you change the volume there's a settings button on the volume bar that comes up and if you press the button it will bring up the notification volume as well.

Greetings, just got a Nexus 7 32gb and love it! Sold my iPad for it so I could have only one ecosystem to buy into (have a Galaxy S3 as my phone) and so far I can't see myself going back to anything Apple. Couple questions though:

1) It comes with like 5 blank pages, no icons on them, and these are simple to remove on the GSIII, but I can't figure out how to delete them on the Nexus.

3) The wife is getting annoyed at being woken up by email notifications in the middle of the night. On my GSIII, I just have to swipe down from the notification bar and there is a "mute" feature. I can't find one on the Nexus 7 and I really don't want to have to turn my volume down every night. There has to be a better way.....right?
    On 1 are you talking about the homescreen panels?

2 not sure

3 silent mode or go into whichever email app you use and go to the settings and turn off the notification sounds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I don't know if this closes apps or not but in the multitasking menu on the bottom right of the screen you can swipe away apps and they disappear. I always clean up my open apps there just to keep things neat...

And congrats on your new N7!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 2:

Yea, you don't have to bother closing apps with a memory cleaner on android. And actually on newer versions forcing some apps to close could cause some instability, and/or they'll just re-open in the backround anyway. Don't worry too much about it.

I'm a big fan of Nova Launcher, use it on both my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7. I keep it looking almost exactly like stock Android, except that I disable wallpaper scrolling(i hate it) and I set the app drawer to be transparent to I can see the wallpaper in the app drawer. That is probably the *only* think I like about Touchwiz UX on the GS3. But you can also change other things like homescreens, etc.

And for turning off sounds/notifications, there are about a thousand toggle widgets that will do that for you. I personally use Beautiful Widgets. I use it for both a clock/weather widget as well as toggle widgets for wifi, bluetooth, auto rotate, and silent mode.

#1: You can install an alternate launcher, such as Nova Prime and change the number of screens.

#2: You don't have to close apps. ICS and JB do a great job of managing available memory.

#3: There are apps available. Take a look at these and see if they meet your needs:

Silent Widget

Silent on charge (just as it says, plug it in to charge and then it silences itself).

I also use AutomatIt Pro and wrote an action that when the device is turned face down, then it silences.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast