1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to get Google Music working in Canada

I'm not sure if this has been discussed anywhere (I couldn't find anything on it via a search) so I thought I would share.

US users have been able to use Google Music since it came out a while ago but up here in Canada we have been shut out and it really sucks. I have managed, quite easily, to implement a work-around and now it is working flawlessly and I love it.

The first thing to do is download an app both on your Nexus 7 and your PC called "Hot Spot Shield". Once enabled this will route your network traffic through a VPN and make it appear as though you are in the States. (Forgive my lay-mans terms as I am not overly versed in the fine details of just what is happening here.) Once you run the app on your N7, go to Google Play and download the Google Music app. On your PC, login to your Google Play account where you will now be able to download Google Music desktop software. Once you download that software, fire it up and you will be prompted to enter credit card information to start your music account...fill this out and you only have to worry about charges if you purchase music through Google Play. Once you have a Google Music account set up you can then upload your local music files (up to 20,000 of them!) using the desktop software.

I have finished uploading 57GB worth of songs and now I can access all of them on my Nexus 7 through the Google Music app. You don't need to use Hot Spot Shield anymore to play music on your N7 or on your PC to upload future music as it is only necessary to set up the initial Google Music account.

This is a pretty fantastic service as now I have no need to keep files locally on my N7 as I can play my music collection over wifi which frees up space for videos and other documents.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

Default Re: How to get Google Music working in Canada

i think waiting until its officially released in Canada and using an other service in the meantime is a lot easier
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I haven't found anything easier than this...it's stupidly easy.

THis will not work anymore, you need a US credit card to verify your location.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Did they just change this in the past week? I used my Canuck credit card just over a week ago no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I just tried this morning and couldn't because of the credit card check. Guess I'll have to wait for it. Thanks for posting the how-to though Stranger.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Have you tried using your credit card but with an american zip code rather than your postal code?

No, I stopped as soon as I came to the cc step. I'm just going to leave it until its available here, not in any rush.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I just put in my normal address and it all worked fine. How does Google know you are not in the states visiting your american cousin and setting him/her up with a Google account using your credit card. Perfectly legit and legal there.

I'm not really contributing to the original question but as a UK resident I'm intrigued to all the references of credit cards. We got access to Google Music last November but I didn't have to enter any credit card info at all. I assume it's different in the US?

This method doesn't work anymore. I can't set up an account with my credit card.

**edit**

I changed my Credit Card that was on file to a US address (The address for the Buffalo-Niagara Airport), and it worked. Uploading my music right now and then I'll try google music again on my phone and see if it shows up!
    Last edited by jimrebello; 01-24-2013 at 07:49 PM.

I couldn't get it to work how the OP did it. I think its because I already had google wallet setup with a Canadian address.

Anyways this is the way that worked after a bunch of trial and error:

1) download and install hotspot shield on PC (not needed on android device)
    2) Install and turn on hotspot shield (ensuring USA ip address - shoulkd be this by default anyways)
    3) Goto google wallet ( ). Delete credit card information
    4) Goto and click on the money amount to add money to google phone. Add a your credit card. I put in my own CC with a name and a postal code of 90210 (don't need to enter a whole address). Once the credit card info is entered and saved cancel so you don't have to put money on google phone. *

5) Goto play.google.com/music and install the music client for Windows. Follow the sinstructions and set it up.

Cleanup
    6) Once it starts downloading the music from your computer you can uninstall Hotspot shield
    7) Go back to google wallet to either delete the credit card or update the proper address

Voila... done!

*for step 4 I assume that you could have probably just added the new credit card info in google wallet.... but this was how I did it

Thanks OP!

Global Posts
    764 Global Posts

it worked!!!

I skipped step 4 and it worked fine, just prompted me for a CC when I went to download music manager.

Worked perfectly for me here in Colombia. Thank you, very much. I used TunnelBear as my proxy provider, and followed your instructions. Google Music now playing here!!!

Worked perfectly with Tunnelbear; thanks for the walkthrough!

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Here to report that this is not working anymore. I bought a month of hotspot shield (wasted), I Change my cc info, I tried us unblock, restarted my PC etc.
    Somehow google knows I'm in Canada no matter what. I even created a new fake google sign in.
    Grrr I want this so badly

Edit: I started a thread a while back with the same info, and a few updates and followups: How to get Google Music from Canada (As of Google's All Access service addition) walkthrough. Essentially the same content, but with some notes to help those who may be having issues.

BUMP.

I was digging around, absolutely frustrated that it worked for me before but couldn't help a friend now after a few months (after Google added that CC validation), and I found something that worked!!

The process is exactly the same as before, except for an extra instruction (For lazy people: see step 13). For clarity I might as well just repeat the instructions, modified with what I did.

1. Install the Google Chrome proxy extension called ProxMate (), although I'm sure other proxy methods work perfectly fine. This one I found was the fastest proxy methods out of the others I've tried out of web proxies, hotspot shield, Tor, so on.
    2. Activate proxy and go to the Google Music website () and sign in.
    3. First screen: Welcome To Google Play Music. I deselected the email offer and clicked "Agree and next".
    4. Second screen: Two Ways to Play. I selected "Start with Standard". I like things free
    5. Third screen: Set Up Your Standard Account. Click "Set up account" (well there isn't anything else to click anyway). Note: at this point if you have your valid Canadian credit card already inputted into the Google Wallet system, REMOVE it first ().
    6. Fourth screen: Review your purchase. You should have NO credit cards in here, otherwise remove them (see note above). Now under "pay with", choose "Add a new payment option".
    7. Fifth screen: Set up Google Wallet. Here I put in my valid Canadian credit card details, complete with expiry date and CVC code. Keep billing information option checked, and deselected the Google wallet special offers (does anyone actually use them?). Keep the Billing information country as US. Also I entered a name (don't think the name matters?), and 98108 as postal code (Probably doesn't matter either, just needs to be in the US). Click "Save and continue".
    8. Sixth screen: Review your purchase. $0 for Google Music, what a great price! Click "Buy".
    9. Seventh screen: Uh oh. There was a problem. Don't worry, this expected. Click "Close".
    10. Eighth screen: Set Up Your Standard Account. Yep we've seen this before. Here's the trick: Press F5 or reload your page.
    11. Ninth screen: Welcome to Google Play Music. BACK TO SQUARE ONE??? Not quite. Deselect that email offer and click "Agree and next".
    12. Tenth screen: Two Ways to Play. Yep, I haven't changed my mind. Click "Start with Standard".
    13. Eleventh screen: Add your music. BAM. It says standard account activated. And now you have the option of "Skip" or "Download Music Manager". Pretty much done and good to go at this point!

If a moderator sees fit to sticky this or whatnot, it would probably be of great benefit to some fellow Canadians, but otherwise hopefully it has helped some people get this quite frankly excellent service!

Note that I tried this on two different Google accounts (and while writing this, a third one), all with complete success. However this was done on June 21st, and Google has a habit of killing workarounds, so this may eventually be plugged. If this works for anyone or everyone, let me know how it goes
    Last edited by jambamochi; 09-12-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Additional info in another thread

Work around is still working! July 25th!

Thanks! Still working Aug 1. Just signed up to this forum to thank you.
    After successfully completing your steps I ran the Installer but seemed to hang with message Connecting to Internet. Thought maybe the installer was updated to check your IP or country somehow but it was just my anti-virus. Once disabled the install worked fine. Thanks!!