Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Default Re: Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

Cool, does that mean I get to eat at their cafeteria?
    MikeLip likes this.

Default Re: Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

MikeLip-- throw it my way when you throw it out... I'll take a chance!

When i bought my nexus, i went to staples and purchased their 1 year warranty with easy tech. 55 bucks covers pretty much all the incidents that im hearing about on the forums.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,390 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

I'm surprised anyone would buy from Google and expect anything other than terrible support. Google is known for having some of the worst consumer-level support in the industry.

It's part of the reason why I would never - ever - buy anything from the Play Store that isn't a $0.99 App or Album Track.

Certainly not hardware.

If you value support, it's worth paying $50-100 elsewhere just to make sure you'll get decent warranty support or easy replacements (insurance) than to save money getting it from the Play Store.

I'd buy from Microsoft, Sony, RIM, Apple. Never Google or Samsung. They're both super bad.
    Ry likes this.

ROM
    UD 2.0

Mine done this exact same thing although I lost all data I was able to fix it. When it starts to reboot and shows Google hold down the power button and the down arrow key and hold until it goes to the android on its back. If you can get there not only will the reboots stop but you also have a way to turn it off instead of it draining itself through boot loops. Here is what I done to fix mine http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2517249
    Brief instructions :
    1. Put it into fast boot which is the android on its back
    2. Downloaded the newest stock ROM out there
    3. Downloaded and install nexus 7 toolkit
    4. Followed the steps within it to flash N7
    5. Breathed a sigh of relief when I rebooted and went straight through boot to set up my device.

If you have any questions I'll be more than lad to help

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    I'm surprised anyone would buy from Google and expect anything other than terrible support. Google is known for having some of the worst consumer-level support in the industry.

It's part of the reason why I would never - ever - buy anything from the Play Store that isn't a $0.99 App or Album Track.

Certainly not hardware.

If you value support, it's worth paying $50-100 elsewhere just to make sure you'll get decent warranty support or easy replacements (insurance) than to save money getting it from the Play Store.

I'd buy from Microsoft, Sony, RIM, Apple. Never Google or Samsung. They're both super bad.
    Ah. I knew I'd see a troll. I just was hoping for a better quality example of one. Gather round, kids. This then is the Trollus Minorcus - the common or lesser troll. Note the implicit assumption of superior intelligence with no actual information applied to the thread. Note the veiled insult to anyone dumb enough to do anything HE wouldn't do. These trolls are unfortunately common, and I apologize to the group for not putting out my TrollTraps(tm). It was a small specimen anyway, not worth the taxidermy charges.
    Thanked by:
    Groid 
    dancing-bass and tr-1 like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Quote Originally Posted by droidfrk View Post
    Mine done this exact same thing although I lost all data I was able to fix it. When it starts to reboot and shows Google hold down the power button and the down arrow key and hold until it goes to the android on its back. If you can get there not only will the reboots stop but you also have a way to turn it off instead of it draining itself through boot loops. Here is what I done to fix mine http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=2517249
    Brief instructions :
    1. Put it into fast boot which is the android on its back
    2. Downloaded the newest stock ROM out there
    3. Downloaded and install nexus 7 toolkit
    4. Followed the steps within it to flash N7
    5. Breathed a sigh of relief when I rebooted and went straight through boot to set up my device.

If you have any questions I'll be more than lad to help

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I've never been able to get it to get to the dissected android. It's only response to the power and down is to jump to static and recycle. But thanks.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by Zapflashgone View Post
    MikeLip-- throw it my way when you throw it out... I'll take a chance!
    I may do that. Actually I think the answer was earlier in the thread - I'm hoping the SN is inside. I just need to get back to the office and rip it open.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Cool, does that mean I get to eat at their cafeteria?
    Now THAT would be a good perk! I wonder if they have doggie bags?

Default Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    Ah. I knew I'd see a troll. I just was hoping for a better quality example of one. Gather round, kids. This then is the Trollus Minorcus - the common or lesser troll. Note the implicit assumption of superior intelligence with no actual information applied to the thread. Note the veiled insult to anyone dumb enough to do anything HE wouldn't do. These trolls are unfortunately common, and I apologize to the group for not putting out my TrollTraps(tm). It was a small specimen anyway, not worth the taxidermy charges.
    Whilst I don't disagree that trolling is an ugly forum parasite, the underlying points are somewhat valid.

As someone who has come from owning iOS devices for the last 4-5 years I can't fault the support I received from Apple. Normally I would excuse other companies for having poorer CS because they are globally smaller as a company or don't have the retail space Apple does, in Googles case, they're a wealthy, massively global company and you'd expect their support to be top notch. I've walked in to an Apple store with a busted or faulty device and walked out within the hour with a replacement or fixed one numerous times across four generations of iPhone's and two generations of iPad.

Now I have a Nexus, I have to admit, their is a greater desire and more thought put into taking out third party warranty to cover all eventualities. Seemingly evident we can't trust in Google or ASUS alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Flowers View Post
    Whilst I don't disagree that trolling is an ugly forum parasite, the underlying points are somewhat valid.

As someone who has come from owning iOS devices for the last 4-5 years I can't fault the support I received from Apple. Normally I would excuse other companies for having poorer CS because they are globally smaller as a company or don't have the retail space Apple does, in Googles case, they're a wealthy, massively global company and you'd expect their support to be top notch. I've walked in to an Apple store with a busted or faulty device and walked out within the hour with a replacement or fixed one numerous times across four generations of iPhone's and two generations of iPad.

Now I have a Nexus, I have to admit, their is a greater desire and more thought put into taking out third party warranty to cover all eventualities. Seemingly evident we can't trust in Google or ASUS alone.

While it's true I don't know apple (from a user experience), I do know business. One great truth in business is that great service requires great profit. With that in mind, and relative to the markup on apple hardware, shouldn't they be coming to your house? Except for the fact that they have you locked in, so aside from the competition from the likes of google and others, they would probably/eventually tell you to go f yourself. Fact is apple has you coming and going, and everywhere in between as best they can. You never own a apple product, it owns you.

The OP's problem seems to be Asus quality control more than google's customer support. Google doesn't have people locked in to their "profit area" (music, movies, apps, etc.. from the playstore) like apple and itunes. Plus sam's and asus are the seller's here (as in they saw the profit from the hardware). It would be like buying a nexus/apple phone at sam's club, popping a straight talk sim in it and calling straght talk when your phone broke. Google just try's to offer a good enough service that you will buy from them, as apposed to locking you in. Keep in mind also that if it had worked as planned, you would only be able to buy your I-apple at a apple store.

My experience with the play store is that they're new at this, but trying. I haven't been on hold on the phone for long periods and they respond to emails with in minutes most times (depending on what day/time it is). They are sending a new one to me first (advance replacement, they put a hold on your credit card like is done when you buy gas, but do not charge it) and I have 21 days to return the old one. All free of charge.

Don't get me wrong, google is not some panacea of love and caring, far from it. They too are after profits as all companies should be. But they are doing it via customer service, or in other words building a better mouse trap. As oppose to trying to create a monopoly to where the customer takes what we give them because they have no other choice. Which is how it would be if everyone bought apple....
    tr-1 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  

I'm not too bright for answering both you and the troll, but the struggle to understanding never ends. Besides, you seem well-intentioned, so, onward. None of the points are pertinent. My beef is not with Google. I did not buy the device through Google Play, as My Troll said. I bought it at SAMS as I clearly stated in the first post. Second, Google is the only entity that helped me. They tried to recover the machine and failed. Since I did not buy it via Play, their responsibility ended there for whatever reason and they gave me all the contact info for ASUS. ASUS then, with out the slightest effort to help, hung up on me. They could have said contact Google to obtain your SN, or take the back off or anything. But as soon as they heard those words, they hung up. Not even a good bye. Just "Get the SN." Click.. THAT is my beef. Thanks to the people who took the time to understand my problem without parading their superiority, I now know how I can recover from this problem, or at least have leads to pursue. That's what the net should be. That is far more than was supplied by the troll who apparently read the last few posts and thought he knew the entire chain of events.
    Last edited by MikeLip; 01-20-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Default Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    While it's true I don't know apple (from a user experience), I do know business. One great truth in business is that great service requires great profit. With that in mind, and relative to the markup on apple hardware, shouldn't they be coming to your house? Except for the fact that they have you locked in, so aside from the competition from the likes of google and others, they would probably/eventually tell you to go f yourself. Fact is apple has you coming and going, and everywhere in between as best they can. You never own a apple product, it owns you.

The OP's problem seems to be Asus quality control more than google's customer support. Google doesn't have people locked in to their "profit area" (music, movies, apps, etc.. from the playstore) like apple and itunes. Plus sam's and asus are the seller's here (as in they saw the profit from the hardware). It would be like buying a nexus/apple phone at sam's club, popping a straight talk sim in it and calling straght talk when your phone broke. Google just try's to offer a good enough service that you will buy from them, as apposed to locking you in. Keep in mind also that if it had worked as planned, you would only be able to buy your I-apple at a apple store.

My experience with the play store is that they're new at this, but trying. I haven't been on hold on the phone for long periods and they respond to emails with in minutes most times (depending on what day/time it is). They are sending a new one to me first (advance replacement, they put a hold on your credit card like is done when you buy gas, but do not charge it) and I have 21 days to return the old one. All free of charge.

Don't get me wrong, google is not some panacea of love and caring, far from it. They too are after profits as all companies should be. But they are doing it via customer service, or in other words building a better mouse trap. As oppose to trying to create a monopoly to where the customer takes what we give them because they have no other choice. Which is how it would be if everyone bought apple....
    I'm not here to turn this thread into an Apple vs Google shambles, I was merely sharing my experience with a faultless support service offered by one company. Second, I was picking up on the one point made by the alleged troll that was actually quite understandable. Given there is no ASUS or Google high street environment like there is for Apple, it's in a buyers best interest to consider carefully, extended warranty products offered by resellers for peace of mind. I'm not from the US so forgive me for not knowing what type of store Sam's is however.

As someone who has just purchased a Nexus 7 and coming from Apple products, I was faced with the 'locked in' issue you mentioned. To be totally honest, it's a non-issue for the most part. About the only thing that you're locked 'out of' (i.e. non transferable) is apps. I can still take all my media with me from device-to-device.

Please don't take me for some Apple fanboy (I hate that word...). I've had and continue to have a great experience with various generations of iPhone and iPad, however I don't see Apple's hardware and software as the be-all-end-all. If I did, I wouldn't have bought a Nexus 7 and got an iPad mini instead. I suppose I'm fortunate enough to have user experience with both systems.

It has to be said I'm finding Android a breath of fresh air. It's something different to what I've been used to in recent years. And whilst I find the Nexus 7 and the Android system less slick, refined and polished as Apple's hardware and iOS, I am thoroughly enjoying how much more freedom there is in it's customisation.

I'm not too bright for answering both you and the troll, but the struggle to understanding never ends. Besides, you seem well-intentioned, so, onward. None of the points are pertinent. My beef is not with Google. I did not buy the device through Google Play, as My Troll said. I bought it at SAMS as I clearly stated in the first post. Second, Google is the only entity that helped me. They tried to recover the machine and failed. Since I did not buy it via Play, their responsibility ended there for whatever reason and they gave me all the contact info for ASUS. ASUS then, with out the slightest effort to help, hung up on me. They could have said contact Google to obtain your SN, or take the back off or anything. But as soon as they heard those words, they hung up. Not even a good bye. Just "Get the SN." Click.. THAT is my beef. Thanks to the people who took the time to understand my problem without parading their superiority, I now know how I can recover from this problem, or at least have leads to pursue. That's what the net should be. That is far more than was supplied by the troll who apparently read the last few posts and thought he knew the entire chain of events.
    Well my apologies for not understanding your plight exactly. Your forum demeanour is far too abrupt, blunt and confrontational for my liking and previous forum experience has taught me to bow out.

I do however, sincerely hope you get this issue sorted and your Nexus 7 back in working order

I have no idea who Sams are either, but as the ones who sold you the device, surely the're your first port of call? If my tablet stopped working due to a fault, I wouldn't be ringing Google, it'd be PC World and the Sale of Goods Act all the way. I assume legislation covers faulty products where you are as well?
    Minkey1 likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Quote Originally Posted by Indigoquilter View Post
    I have no idea who Sams are either, but as the ones who sold you the device, surely the're your first port of call? If my tablet stopped working due to a fault, I wouldn't be ringing Google, it'd be PC World and the Sale of Goods Act all the way. I assume legislation covers faulty products where you are as well?
    Sams is part of the WalMart group - they normally sell stuff like coffee by the barrel, and paper towels by the skid. You have to be a member, which costs you US$40 a year, but it's usually worth it. They have the same return policy for electronics of 90 days from date of purchase, so that sort of leaves me out. The Nexus 7 is covered for 12 months according to Google, but I have to got to Asus to get it fixed or replaced since I bought it from Sams. That policy doesn't make 100% sense to me, but it is their policy on their website, so there isn't a lot of arguing about it. I'm not even really upset that it failed. Electronics fail. That's life. But Asus attitude really torqued my nut.

Maybe there is an upside to the (often) higher prices in the UK - consumer protection here is much better. No retailer selling tech could turn you away after 90 days. They have a legal responsibility. And our Sale of Goods Act can offer protection way beyond the maker's warranty, as the goods have to be "fit for purpose". None of this helps you Mike, but I hope you get sorted out. I have dealt with ASUS UK direct for an accessory, and it's not an experience I care to repeat.
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

Global Posts
    5,167 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

MikeLip, this might be a long shot for you by now, but it worked for me recently with a smartphone.
    Just go into the store and tell them that your device is not working and what can they do to help you.
    My local Sam's replaced my phone on the spot. I had bought the phone about 6 or 7 months prior.

I seriously hope they can do something for you.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    MikeLip, this might be a long shot for you by now, but it worked for me recently with a smartphone.
    Just go into the store and tell them that your device is not working and what can they do to help you.
    My local Sam's replaced my phone on the spot. I had bought the phone about 6 or 7 months prior.

I seriously hope they can do something for you.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums
    That would be too simple to work But hey, I'm gonna try it! How do you REALLY feel about Motorola? :P

Sam's sounds like a wholesale type affair then? Like Costco? I'm surprised at only 90 days, I had no idea things differed so much between the US and UK. Even Costco in England has a year or two warranty in which time you just take it back for a replacement. A colleague of mine had a TV which he took back to Costco about two years after buying it, they exchanged it for a brand new model as the model he bought originally was no longer manufactured!

To be honest if I was paying a membership for the privilege of shopping there, I'd have chanced my luck and gone back in there regardless of 90 days and requested a replacement.

Anyway, this is not addressing your main point of dissatisfaction with ASUS. I remember owning an ASUS motherboard years ago and attempting to get support from the Taiwanese company was tricky and involved a lot of Engrish correspondence. Their online forums at the time were dire too and the drivers section of their support site was a bit of a mess to be frank.

Would seem they haven't done much improving in the customer service area.

Banned

Global Posts
    4,390 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Your responses actually make me smile at your transgressions.

Sams is part of the WalMart group - they normally sell stuff like coffee by the barrel, and paper towels by the skid. You have to be a member, which costs you US$40 a year, but it's usually worth it. They have the same return policy for electronics of 90 days from date of purchase, so that sort of leaves me out. The Nexus 7 is covered for 12 months according to Google, but I have to got to Asus to get it fixed or replaced since I bought it from Sams. That policy doesn't make 100% sense to me, but it is their policy on their website, so there isn't a lot of arguing about it. I'm not even really upset that it failed. Electronics fail. That's life. But Asus attitude really torqued my nut.
    I have been dealing with ASUS for over 20 years on Motherboards and other products they produce with the ASUS brand name and I was never treated that way by ASUS. The NEXUS 7 was a surprise to me that they produced it for Google. When I heard about them producing it I at first thought the quality would have been much better than what I am hearing here. The one I own has not given me any trouble as yet. I can only think the person you talked to at ASUS was either having a bad day or what ever but that still is not an excuse for that kind of service to its customers. Did you get that persons name? I'm sure you did not or they likely would not have hung up on you. The last time I dealt with ASUS NA they were in SFRAN bay area and everyone I talked with were very nice to me. I just hope they give you better service on your next call when you go back with the needed information in hand.
    Chris Flowers likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by japetty View Post
    I have been dealing with ASUS for over 20 years on Motherboards and other products they produce with the ASUS brand name and I was never treated that way by ASUS. The NEXUS 7 was a surprise to me that they produced it for Google. When I heard about them producing it I at first thought the quality would have been much better than what I am hearing here. The one I own has not given me any trouble as yet. I can only think the person you talked to at ASUS was either having a bad day or what ever but that still is not an excuse for that kind of service to its customers. Did you get that persons name? I'm sure you did not or they likely would not have hung up on you. The last time I dealt with ASUS NA they were in SFRAN bay area and everyone I talked with were very nice to me. I just hope they give you better service on your next call when you go back with the needed information in hand.
    I concur on the 'bad day' point. It does just sound like that was the case for the OP.

Only those with an issue will take to forums etc. there are no doubt millions of very happy and satisfied customers you don't hear from of course.

ASUS products and in particular their mobo's are quality though. As you say, disappointing to hear their support is lacking at times.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Your responses actually make me smile at your transgressions.
    I've never in my life transed any gresses :P
    mathelm likes this.

I concur on the 'bad day' point. It does just sound like that was the case for the OP.

Only those with an issue will take to forums etc. there are no doubt millions of very happy and satisfied customers you don't hear from of course.

ASUS products and in particular their mobo's are quality though. As you say, disappointing to hear their support is lacking at times.

I have to agree the OP is dealing with some bad luck, I have been building computers with Asus products for over a decade and I have never personally had issue with any of them. Literally 1000's of motherboards I have touched and installed in custom systems. I have also never had any issue with a laptop or display from them and as well my nexus 7 has been awesome. Always sucks to hear about these things though and that is the most common reason for a forum post.
    Nexus 7 16GB JB 4.2.2/Xoom 32GB JB 4.1.2
    Chris Flowers likes this.

I've never in my life transed any gresses :P
    Perhaps, but you have to admit that you handle could be seen as a tad tranny....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast