Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is the story. I got a 7 from my local Sam's club. I had signed up for the pre-order, but while the tabs were showing up at Gamestop and Sams and Walmart, I was still waiting for my preorder for weeks. So I cancelled and got the device from Sams. After a few returns for horrendous light leaks I got a good one and despite the hassles it was love. Until a couple weeks ago. The tab decided it would boot to the Google logo, then crash with static, and try to boot again. It would do this until the battery died. I called Google support and they led me through the reset. That didn't do anything. It still tries to start, crashes and starts over. No way to stop it.

Google says that since I didn't buy it through Google Play,. I had to contact Asus. OK. One removed gall bladder later (that's the delay time between talking to Google and Asus. Not recommended) I just called Asus. I don't have the box. There are no markings on the device. I talked to Asus and they asked for the SN. I told them sorry, no box, no markings. They said get the serial number AND HUNG UP.

Now what? Do I throw away $250 I spent on a 5 month old machine? I am dismayed by this level of support. Or non-support.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I was going to say something stupid, like doesn't that void the warranty. But it looks like the warranty isn't worth anything anyway.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
No. It won't do anything but cycle from the Google logo to what looks like a 1970s TV between stations - all snow and static - then a hard crash back to ground zero. Lather, rinse repeat until your battery is dead. Which can take a LOOOOOOONG time, let me tell you. There is no way to stop it doing that.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I've bought and handled five N7's and every one of them has a sticker next to the USB port with the serial number on it. Did you remove that from yours?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you try the suggestions in this thread?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...creen-goes-dead-pixels-fly-across-screen.html

[edit]: Specifically, this is exactly what you need to try to do:

- Assuming your unit can boot long enough to do this, press and hold all the buttons (I'm not sure on the exact button combo) to give the device a hard reset.
- Keep holding the buttons till it reboots to the bootloader.
- Cycle through the menu selections and choose to power off the device.
- Unplug then re-plug the charger.
- You should now see the battery-charging icon. It shouldn't boot up on its own anymore. Just let it sit and charge to full capacity.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Then, did you offer that serial number when you called?

You are not getting this. There is no sticker or marking of any kind on the device. None. Not by the USB port, not anywhere. On the devices I returned for light leaks there were. There is not on one this device.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Did you try the suggestions in this thread?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...creen-goes-dead-pixels-fly-across-screen.html

[edit]: Specifically, this is exactly what you need to try to do:

- Assuming your unit can boot long enough to do this, press and hold all the buttons (I'm not sure on the exact button combo) to give the device a hard reset.
- Keep holding the buttons till it reboots to the bootloader.
- Cycle through the menu selections and choose to power off the device.
- Unplug then re-plug the charger.
- You should now see the battery-charging icon. It shouldn't boot up on its own anymore. Just let it sit and charge to full capacity.

Yes. Both alone and with Google. All that happens is my device continues it's endless reboot loop until the battery dies. You never see the bootloader, you never see anything but logo and static.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
You are not getting this. There is no sticker or marking of any kind on the device. None. Not by the USB port, not anywhere. On the devices I returned for light leaks there were. There is not on one this device.

OK, no need to get pi**y about it. Everyone, including a brand new one I got just last week had the sticker. When you said "no" when I asked if you removed it, I figured maybe you just hadn't noticed it was there.

This is a great example of why I never throw away the boxes for gadgets. At the very least, the serial number and other pertinant info should always be recorded before discarding the box.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, no need to get pi**y about it. Everyone, including a brand new one I got just last week had the sticker. When you said "no" when I asked if you removed it, I figured maybe you just hadn't noticed it was there.

This is a great example of why I never throw away the boxes for gadgets. At the very least, the serial number and other pertinant info should always be recorded before discarding the box.

Yup, up, sorry. I less pi**sy than just plain PI**ED. To have them just hang up was appalling. There was no heat to the exchange. They were collecting facts - name, address, phone, all very matter of fact. Then oops, no s/n. Click. Google didn't care about the S/N, they just tried to help. What difference does it make anyway? ALL units are still in that warranty window.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings/About tablet/Status. The serial number should be listed there.

Edit--oh wait, stupid suggestion, since you can't even get the unit on. Sorry!

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Pop the back off and check/reseat your battery connection....

1572_4634652516833_169432474_n.jpg

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 has the serial number on a sticker on the inside of the back cover. The back cover is really easy to remove, you can pry it off with your finger nails, or use a plastic pry tool if you prefer. There are no seals on the Nexus 7, so as long as you are careful they won't be able to tell you have opened it.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
btw, google play only wanted the "CSSN" number off mine, so maybe Asus can use that instead. It can be found on the box ( which u don't have) or inside as the N7 listed as "UUID" (16 digits) to the right of the circled battery plug in the pic above. Just don't refer to it as the UUID or they might know you've opened it...

My Nexus 7 has the serial number on a sticker on the inside of the back cover. The back cover is really easy to remove, you can pry it off with your finger nails, or use a plastic pry tool if you prefer. There are no seals on the Nexus 7, so as long as you are careful they won't be able to tell you have opened it.

Any thin piece of plastic will do, guitar pic, tab from hotdog buns bag.. etc.. Check youtube for vids..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude