Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've bought and handled five N7's and every one of them has a sticker next to the USB port with the serial number on it. Did you remove that from yours?

I bought my Nexus 7 when they first came out and it did not have a sticker on it with the serial number. I guess the newer ones do?

Fortunately I still have my box and was able to get the serial number from the box when I needed it.

curlysir

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Google knows your s/n. Call them back and tell them you need it for the ASUS warranty repair.

Good luck with that. I have been trying since Monday (now Friday) to get a replacement from Google (bought mine from Google store). My wife threw away the box before I knew it. Anyway, they wanted the SN and CSSN number. Told me I could get it from the Nexus 7. Only problem my Nexus 7 is dead, have tried all the things posted with no luck. Goggle apparently can't find the numbers in their system, have talked to 3 reps. On the road this week and remembered I might have taken the stickers off the package that had the numbers and stuck them in the warranty book, got home today and sure enough they were there. Called and hopefully I can get the ball running on the replacement.

To the OP, the only way to get the numbers for you will be to carefully take the back off. They are on the inside of the back cover. Not really that hard just be careful and take your time. MIne did not have the sticker by the USB connector either.

On the Nexus 10 it has an access panel on the back that lets you see the SN. Too bad the 7 doesn't.

curlysir

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings/About tablet/Status. The serial number should be listed there.

Edit--oh wait, stupid suggestion, since you can't even get the unit on. Sorry!

You need to apply for a job with Google support :) That is what they told me to do after I told them I didn't have the box and the Nexus 7 was dead.

Jopo16

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
When i bought my nexus, i went to staples and purchased their 1 year warranty with easy tech. 55 bucks covers pretty much all the incidents that im hearing about on the forums.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised anyone would buy from Google and expect anything other than terrible support. Google is known for having some of the worst consumer-level support in the industry.

It's part of the reason why I would never - ever - buy anything from the Play Store that isn't a $0.99 App or Album Track.

Certainly not hardware.

If you value support, it's worth paying $50-100 elsewhere just to make sure you'll get decent warranty support or easy replacements (insurance) than to save money getting it from the Play Store.

I'd buy from Microsoft, Sony, RIM, Apple. Never Google or Samsung. They're both super bad.

droidfrk

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine done this exact same thing although I lost all data I was able to fix it. When it starts to reboot and shows Google hold down the power button and the down arrow key and hold until it goes to the android on its back. If you can get there not only will the reboots stop but you also have a way to turn it off instead of it draining itself through boot loops. Here is what I done to fix mine http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2517249
Brief instructions :
1. Put it into fast boot which is the android on its back
2. Downloaded the newest stock ROM out there
3. Downloaded and install nexus 7 toolkit
4. Followed the steps within it to flash N7
5. Breathed a sigh of relief when I rebooted and went straight through boot to set up my device.

If you have any questions I'll be more than lad to help

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised anyone would buy from Google and expect anything other than terrible support. Google is known for having some of the worst consumer-level support in the industry.

It's part of the reason why I would never - ever - buy anything from the Play Store that isn't a $0.99 App or Album Track.

Certainly not hardware.

If you value support, it's worth paying $50-100 elsewhere just to make sure you'll get decent warranty support or easy replacements (insurance) than to save money getting it from the Play Store.

I'd buy from Microsoft, Sony, RIM, Apple. Never Google or Samsung. They're both super bad.

Ah. I knew I'd see a troll. I just was hoping for a better quality example of one. Gather round, kids. This then is the Trollus Minorcus - the common or lesser troll. Note the implicit assumption of superior intelligence with no actual information applied to the thread. Note the veiled insult to anyone dumb enough to do anything HE wouldn't do. These trolls are unfortunately common, and I apologize to the group for not putting out my TrollTraps(tm). It was a small specimen anyway, not worth the taxidermy charges.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine done this exact same thing although I lost all data I was able to fix it. When it starts to reboot and shows Google hold down the power button and the down arrow key and hold until it goes to the android on its back. If you can get there not only will the reboots stop but you also have a way to turn it off instead of it draining itself through boot loops. Here is what I done to fix mine http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2517249
Brief instructions :
1. Put it into fast boot which is the android on its back
2. Downloaded the newest stock ROM out there
3. Downloaded and install nexus 7 toolkit
4. Followed the steps within it to flash N7
5. Breathed a sigh of relief when I rebooted and went straight through boot to set up my device.

If you have any questions I'll be more than lad to help

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've never been able to get it to get to the dissected android. It's only response to the power and down is to jump to static and recycle. But thanks.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Ah. I knew I'd see a troll. I just was hoping for a better quality example of one. Gather round, kids. This then is the Trollus Minorcus - the common or lesser troll. Note the implicit assumption of superior intelligence with no actual information applied to the thread. Note the veiled insult to anyone dumb enough to do anything HE wouldn't do. These trolls are unfortunately common, and I apologize to the group for not putting out my TrollTraps(tm). It was a small specimen anyway, not worth the taxidermy charges.

Whilst I don't disagree that trolling is an ugly forum parasite, the underlying points are somewhat valid.

As someone who has come from owning iOS devices for the last 4-5 years I can't fault the support I received from Apple. Normally I would excuse other companies for having poorer CS because they are globally smaller as a company or don't have the retail space Apple does, in Googles case, they're a wealthy, massively global company and you'd expect their support to be top notch. I've walked in to an Apple store with a busted or faulty device and walked out within the hour with a replacement or fixed one numerous times across four generations of iPhone's and two generations of iPad.

Now I have a Nexus, I have to admit, their is a greater desire and more thought put into taking out third party warranty to cover all eventualities. Seemingly evident we can't trust in Google or ASUS alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I don't disagree that trolling is an ugly forum parasite, the underlying points are somewhat valid.

As someone who has come from owning iOS devices for the last 4-5 years I can't fault the support I received from Apple. Normally I would excuse other companies for having poorer CS because they are globally smaller as a company or don't have the retail space Apple does, in Googles case, they're a wealthy, massively global company and you'd expect their support to be top notch. I've walked in to an Apple store with a busted or faulty device and walked out within the hour with a replacement or fixed one numerous times across four generations of iPhone's and two generations of iPad.

Now I have a Nexus, I have to admit, their is a greater desire and more thought put into taking out third party warranty to cover all eventualities. Seemingly evident we can't trust in Google or ASUS alone.

While it's true I don't know apple (from a user experience), I do know business. One great truth in business is that great service requires great profit. With that in mind, and relative to the markup on apple hardware, shouldn't they be coming to your house? Except for the fact that they have you locked in, so aside from the competition from the likes of google and others, they would probably/eventually tell you to go f yourself. Fact is apple has you coming and going, and everywhere in between as best they can. You never own a apple product, it owns you.

The OP's problem seems to be Asus quality control more than google's customer support. Google doesn't have people locked in to their "profit area" (music, movies, apps, etc.. from the playstore) like apple and itunes. Plus sam's and asus are the seller's here (as in they saw the profit from the hardware). It would be like buying a nexus/apple phone at sam's club, popping a straight talk sim in it and calling straght talk when your phone broke. Google just try's to offer a good enough service that you will buy from them, as apposed to locking you in. Keep in mind also that if it had worked as planned, you would only be able to buy your I-apple at a apple store.

My experience with the play store is that they're new at this, but trying. I haven't been on hold on the phone for long periods and they respond to emails with in minutes most times (depending on what day/time it is). They are sending a new one to me first (advance replacement, they put a hold on your credit card like is done when you buy gas, but do not charge it) and I have 21 days to return the old one. All free of charge.

Don't get me wrong, google is not some panacea of love and caring, far from it. They too are after profits as all companies should be. But they are doing it via customer service, or in other words building a better mouse trap. As oppose to trying to create a monopoly to where the customer takes what we give them because they have no other choice. Which is how it would be if everyone bought apple....

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm not too bright for answering both you and the troll, but the struggle to understanding never ends. Besides, you seem well-intentioned, so, onward. None of the points are pertinent. My beef is not with Google. I did not buy the device through Google Play, as My Troll said. I bought it at SAMS as I clearly stated in the first post. Second, Google is the only entity that helped me. They tried to recover the machine and failed. Since I did not buy it via Play, their responsibility ended there for whatever reason and they gave me all the contact info for ASUS. ASUS then, with out the slightest effort to help, hung up on me. They could have said contact Google to obtain your SN, or take the back off or anything. But as soon as they heard those words, they hung up. Not even a good bye. Just "Get the SN." Click.. THAT is my beef. Thanks to the people who took the time to understand my problem without parading their superiority, I now know how I can recover from this problem, or at least have leads to pursue. That's what the net should be. That is far more than was supplied by the troll who apparently read the last few posts and thought he knew the entire chain of events.

Last edited:

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
While it's true I don't know apple (from a user experience), I do know business. One great truth in business is that great service requires great profit. With that in mind, and relative to the markup on apple hardware, shouldn't they be coming to your house? Except for the fact that they have you locked in, so aside from the competition from the likes of google and others, they would probably/eventually tell you to go f yourself. Fact is apple has you coming and going, and everywhere in between as best they can. You never own a apple product, it owns you.

The OP's problem seems to be Asus quality control more than google's customer support. Google doesn't have people locked in to their "profit area" (music, movies, apps, etc.. from the playstore) like apple and itunes. Plus sam's and asus are the seller's here (as in they saw the profit from the hardware). It would be like buying a nexus/apple phone at sam's club, popping a straight talk sim in it and calling straght talk when your phone broke. Google just try's to offer a good enough service that you will buy from them, as apposed to locking you in. Keep in mind also that if it had worked as planned, you would only be able to buy your I-apple at a apple store.

My experience with the play store is that they're new at this, but trying. I haven't been on hold on the phone for long periods and they respond to emails with in minutes most times (depending on what day/time it is). They are sending a new one to me first (advance replacement, they put a hold on your credit card like is done when you buy gas, but do not charge it) and I have 21 days to return the old one. All free of charge.

Don't get me wrong, google is not some panacea of love and caring, far from it. They too are after profits as all companies should be. But they are doing it via customer service, or in other words building a better mouse trap. As oppose to trying to create a monopoly to where the customer takes what we give them because they have no other choice. Which is how it would be if everyone bought apple....

I'm not here to turn this thread into an Apple vs Google shambles, I was merely sharing my experience with a faultless support service offered by one company. Second, I was picking up on the one point made by the alleged troll that was actually quite understandable. Given there is no ASUS or Google high street environment like there is for Apple, it's in a buyers best interest to consider carefully, extended warranty products offered by resellers for peace of mind. I'm not from the US so forgive me for not knowing what type of store Sam's is however.

As someone who has just purchased a Nexus 7 and coming from Apple products, I was faced with the 'locked in' issue you mentioned. To be totally honest, it's a non-issue for the most part. About the only thing that you're locked 'out of' (i.e. non transferable) is apps. I can still take all my media with me from device-to-device.

Please don't take me for some Apple fanboy (I hate that word...). I've had and continue to have a great experience with various generations of iPhone and iPad, however I don't see Apple's hardware and software as the be-all-end-all. If I did, I wouldn't have bought a Nexus 7 and got an iPad mini instead. I suppose I'm fortunate enough to have user experience with both systems.

It has to be said I'm finding Android a breath of fresh air. It's something different to what I've been used to in recent years. And whilst I find the Nexus 7 and the Android system less slick, refined and polished as Apple's hardware and iOS, I am thoroughly enjoying how much more freedom there is in it's customisation.

I'm not too bright for answering both you and the troll, but the struggle to understanding never ends. Besides, you seem well-intentioned, so, onward. None of the points are pertinent. My beef is not with Google. I did not buy the device through Google Play, as My Troll said. I bought it at SAMS as I clearly stated in the first post. Second, Google is the only entity that helped me. They tried to recover the machine and failed. Since I did not buy it via Play, their responsibility ended there for whatever reason and they gave me all the contact info for ASUS. ASUS then, with out the slightest effort to help, hung up on me. They could have said contact Google to obtain your SN, or take the back off or anything. But as soon as they heard those words, they hung up. Not even a good bye. Just "Get the SN." Click.. THAT is my beef. Thanks to the people who took the time to understand my problem without parading their superiority, I now know how I can recover from this problem, or at least have leads to pursue. That's what the net should be. That is far more than was supplied by the troll who apparently read the last few posts and thought he knew the entire chain of events.

Well my apologies for not understanding your plight exactly. Your forum demeanour is far too abrupt, blunt and confrontational for my liking and previous forum experience has taught me to bow out.

I do however, sincerely hope you get this issue sorted and your Nexus 7 back in working order ;)

Indigoquilter

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea who Sams are either, but as the ones who sold you the device, surely the're your first port of call? If my tablet stopped working due to a fault, I wouldn't be ringing Google, it'd be PC World and the Sale of Goods Act all the way. I assume legislation covers faulty products where you are as well?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea who Sams are either, but as the ones who sold you the device, surely the're your first port of call? If my tablet stopped working due to a fault, I wouldn't be ringing Google, it'd be PC World and the Sale of Goods Act all the way. I assume legislation covers faulty products where you are as well?

Sams is part of the WalMart group - they normally sell stuff like coffee by the barrel, and paper towels by the skid. You have to be a member, which costs you US$40 a year, but it's usually worth it. They have the same return policy for electronics of 90 days from date of purchase, so that sort of leaves me out. The Nexus 7 is covered for 12 months according to Google, but I have to got to Asus to get it fixed or replaced since I bought it from Sams. That policy doesn't make 100% sense to me, but it is their policy on their website, so there isn't a lot of arguing about it. I'm not even really upset that it failed. Electronics fail. That's life. But Asus attitude really torqued my nut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2