Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe there is an upside to the (often) higher prices in the UK - consumer protection here is much better. No retailer selling tech could turn you away after 90 days. They have a legal responsibility. And our Sale of Goods Act can offer protection way beyond the maker's warranty, as the goods have to be "fit for purpose". None of this helps you Mike, but I hope you get sorted out. I have dealt with ASUS UK direct for an accessory, and it's not an experience I care to repeat.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
MikeLip, this might be a long shot for you by now, but it worked for me recently with a smartphone.
Just go into the store and tell them that your device is not working and what can they do to help you.
My local Sam's replaced my phone on the spot. I had bought the phone about 6 or 7 months prior.

I seriously hope they can do something for you.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
MikeLip, this might be a long shot for you by now, but it worked for me recently with a smartphone.
Just go into the store and tell them that your device is not working and what can they do to help you.
My local Sam's replaced my phone on the spot. I had bought the phone about 6 or 7 months prior.

I seriously hope they can do something for you.

Sent from my Photon 4G that Stupid Motorola will not upgrade to ICS or any other newer form of Android because they're a bunch of lying bastards (and deserve to go to hell!) using Android Central Forums

That would be too simple to work :) But hey, I'm gonna try it! How do you REALLY feel about Motorola? :p

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Sam's sounds like a wholesale type affair then? Like Costco? I'm surprised at only 90 days, I had no idea things differed so much between the US and UK. Even Costco in England has a year or two warranty in which time you just take it back for a replacement. A colleague of mine had a TV which he took back to Costco about two years after buying it, they exchanged it for a brand new model as the model he bought originally was no longer manufactured!

To be honest if I was paying a membership for the privilege of shopping there, I'd have chanced my luck and gone back in there regardless of 90 days and requested a replacement.

Anyway, this is not addressing your main point of dissatisfaction with ASUS. I remember owning an ASUS motherboard years ago and attempting to get support from the Taiwanese company was tricky and involved a lot of Engrish correspondence. Their online forums at the time were dire too and the drivers section of their support site was a bit of a mess to be frank.

Would seem they haven't done much improving in the customer service area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too bright for answering both you and the troll, but the struggle to understanding never ends. Besides, you seem well-intentioned, so, onward. None of the points are pertinent. My beef is not with Google. I did not buy the device through Google Play, as My Troll said. I bought it at SAMS as I clearly stated in the first post. Second, Google is the only entity that helped me. They tried to recover the machine and failed. Since I did not buy it via Play, their responsibility ended there for whatever reason and they gave me all the contact info for ASUS. ASUS then, with out the slightest effort to help, hung up on me. They could have said contact Google to obtain your SN, or take the back off or anything. But as soon as they heard those words, they hung up. Not even a good bye. Just "Get the SN." Click.. THAT is my beef. Thanks to the people who took the time to understand my problem without parading their superiority, I now know how I can recover from this problem, or at least have leads to pursue. That's what the net should be. That is far more than was supplied by the troll who apparently read the last few posts and thought he knew the entire chain of events.

Your responses actually make me smile at your transgressions.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Sams is part of the WalMart group - they normally sell stuff like coffee by the barrel, and paper towels by the skid. You have to be a member, which costs you US$40 a year, but it's usually worth it. They have the same return policy for electronics of 90 days from date of purchase, so that sort of leaves me out. The Nexus 7 is covered for 12 months according to Google, but I have to got to Asus to get it fixed or replaced since I bought it from Sams. That policy doesn't make 100% sense to me, but it is their policy on their website, so there isn't a lot of arguing about it. I'm not even really upset that it failed. Electronics fail. That's life. But Asus attitude really torqued my nut.

I have been dealing with ASUS for over 20 years on Motherboards and other products they produce with the ASUS brand name and I was never treated that way by ASUS. The NEXUS 7 was a surprise to me that they produced it for Google. When I heard about them producing it I at first thought the quality would have been much better than what I am hearing here. The one I own has not given me any trouble as yet. I can only think the person you talked to at ASUS was either having a bad day or what ever but that still is not an excuse for that kind of service to its customers. Did you get that persons name? I'm sure you did not or they likely would not have hung up on you. The last time I dealt with ASUS NA they were in SFRAN bay area and everyone I talked with were very nice to me. I just hope they give you better service on your next call when you go back with the needed information in hand.

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been dealing with ASUS for over 20 years on Motherboards and other products they produce with the ASUS brand name and I was never treated that way by ASUS. The NEXUS 7 was a surprise to me that they produced it for Google. When I heard about them producing it I at first thought the quality would have been much better than what I am hearing here. The one I own has not given me any trouble as yet. I can only think the person you talked to at ASUS was either having a bad day or what ever but that still is not an excuse for that kind of service to its customers. Did you get that persons name? I'm sure you did not or they likely would not have hung up on you. The last time I dealt with ASUS NA they were in SFRAN bay area and everyone I talked with were very nice to me. I just hope they give you better service on your next call when you go back with the needed information in hand.

I concur on the 'bad day' point. It does just sound like that was the case for the OP.

Only those with an issue will take to forums etc. there are no doubt millions of very happy and satisfied customers you don't hear from of course.

ASUS products and in particular their mobo's are quality though. As you say, disappointing to hear their support is lacking at times.

HisSvt76

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I concur on the 'bad day' point. It does just sound like that was the case for the OP.

Only those with an issue will take to forums etc. there are no doubt millions of very happy and satisfied customers you don't hear from of course.

ASUS products and in particular their mobo's are quality though. As you say, disappointing to hear their support is lacking at times.

I have to agree the OP is dealing with some bad luck, I have been building computers with Asus products for over a decade and I have never personally had issue with any of them. Literally 1000's of motherboards I have touched and installed in custom systems. I have also never had any issue with a laptop or display from them and as well my nexus 7 has been awesome. Always sucks to hear about these things though and that is the most common reason for a forum post.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
That would be too simple to work :) But hey, I'm gonna try it! How do you REALLY feel about Motorola? :p

Try it, the phone I'm talking about is a SGS3 that I got for my sister and Sam's didn't give a hard time about it.

About Motorola, I was fine until they began their stupid road to broken promises and not caring about their customers :mad: Solid devices, but I'm not getting on their bandwagon any more!

Lauren Avery

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,
So I was at a loss a few weeks ago.
Since getting my Nexus [from Currys/PC World, UK] on the day it came out [32GB version 30th September] it has refused to update to 4.2. It kept prompting me to update, and whenever I said ok, the droid guy would fall over with a red triangle and exclamation mark. Every single time. I finally got annoyed with it [if I didn't click okay, it would just ask again 30mins later].
I contacted Asus. Very mixed review of their customer service.

Person 1: I gave them the serial number that's featured under settings on the device. I was informed this was the wrong SN, that the one I had provided was the Android SN, not the Nexus SN. I told them what was wrong with my device anyway, and they told me I could return it to them for repair under my warrenty. As long as I could find the SN.
Didn't keep the correct part of the box. SN number was no where to be seen.
Person 2: I explained that I couldn't find my SN number anywhere. They told me to open the back of my Nexus, and that if I couldn't find the SN, I couldn't return it. They then ended the call.
I even removed the back of the device under the instruction of a customer support rep from Asus. Even then, no SN number. Lots of stickers, none of them with an SN number.
Person 3:: I called them, explained that I was at a loss, and didn't know what to do. I explained that I had even looked at the inside of my Nexus for the SN, and couldn't find it. She asked me for the SN from settings.. so I gave it to her and told her that I had been told this wasn't the correct one, and she said "That's fine, I can use it to find your serial number on the system" which she promptly did.

I'm sure you can imagine how annoyed I was at Person 2! And the SN that Person 3 provided me was no where to be seen on the device.
Device was picked up on the 21st Feb, received by them on the 22nd [in the Netherlands!] and is due back by FedEx tomorrow. Fixed [Hopefully!]

Bev M

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings/About tablet/Status. The serial number should be listed there.

Edit--oh wait, stupid suggestion, since you can't even get the unit on. Sorry!

Thanks a bunch, this suggestion didn't help the OP, but I didn't know it was there and I immediately went to my N7 and made a note of the SN. Might save me some heartburn in future, as my N7 doesn't have a sticker either.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This is why (in the UK) I like to register any appliance or gadget I buy, or my ownership of such an item, with the manufacturer, if they offer the facility. It's recorded in their system then so any problems further down the line aren't dependent on still having the box or being able to turn the item on. Also means they can contact you for product news, recalls etc.

In the N7's case, I'm looking at the box, and it shows a P/N, a CSSN, and a SSN. For the purposes of the ownership/device registration page, it was the CSSN they wanted, and that was duplicated in Settings, About tablet, Status, Serial number. Here's the URL:

https://account.asus.com/loginform.aspx?skey=be997f4aef004570803e433041fda920

An unexpected bonus. After I registered the device, ASUS sent me a 10% voucher for accessories, which I used for the rubber travel case and the official dock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1