Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

Here is the story. I got a 7 from my local Sam's club. I had signed up for the pre-order, but while the tabs were showing up at Gamestop and Sams and Walmart, I was still waiting for my preorder for weeks. So I cancelled and got the device from Sams. After a few returns for horrendous light leaks I got a good one and despite the hassles it was love. Until a couple weeks ago. The tab decided it would boot to the Google logo, then crash with static, and try to boot again. It would do this until the battery died. I called Google support and they led me through the reset. That didn't do anything. It still tries to start, crashes and starts over. No way to stop it.

Google says that since I didn't buy it through Google Play,. I had to contact Asus. OK. One removed gall bladder later (that's the delay time between talking to Google and Asus. Not recommended) I just called Asus. I don't have the box. There are no markings on the device. I talked to Asus and they asked for the SN. I told them sorry, no box, no markings. They said get the serial number AND HUNG UP.

Now what? Do I throw away $250 I spent on a 5 month old machine? I am dismayed by this level of support. Or non-support.

Default Re: Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

never taken the back off of mine but I'm wondering if the SN is inside the case?
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Support useless - I guess I'm throwing out my tab and buying something else

I was going to say something stupid, like doesn't that void the warranty. But it looks like the warranty isn't worth anything anyway.

can you boot the thing into recovery and try to flash a stock ROM onto it?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No. It won't do anything but cycle from the Google logo to what looks like a 1970s TV between stations - all snow and static - then a hard crash back to ground zero. Lather, rinse repeat until your battery is dead. Which can take a LOOOOOOONG time, let me tell you. There is no way to stop it doing that.

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts

Just sell it, I am sure someone will buy it and fix it
    Galaxy Note II
    Nexus 7

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

I've bought and handled five N7's and every one of them has a sticker next to the USB port with the serial number on it. Did you remove that from yours?
    Ry likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by plumberdv View Post
    I've bought and handled five N7's and every one of them has a sticker next to the USB port with the serial number on it. Did you remove that from yours?
    No.

Did you try the suggestions in this thread?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ss-screen.html

[edit]: Specifically, this is exactly what you need to try to do:

- Assuming your unit can boot long enough to do this, press and hold all the buttons (I'm not sure on the exact button combo) to give the device a hard reset.
    - Keep holding the buttons till it reboots to the bootloader.
    - Cycle through the menu selections and choose to power off the device.
    - Unplug then re-plug the charger.
    - You should now see the battery-charging icon. It shouldn't boot up on its own anymore. Just let it sit and charge to full capacity.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    No.
    Then, did you offer that serial number when you called?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Then, did you offer that serial number when you called?
    You are not getting this. There is no sticker or marking of any kind on the device. None. Not by the USB port, not anywhere. On the devices I returned for light leaks there were. There is not on one this device.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Did you try the suggestions in this thread?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ss-screen.html

[edit]: Specifically, this is exactly what you need to try to do:

- Assuming your unit can boot long enough to do this, press and hold all the buttons (I'm not sure on the exact button combo) to give the device a hard reset.
    - Keep holding the buttons till it reboots to the bootloader.
    - Cycle through the menu selections and choose to power off the device.
    - Unplug then re-plug the charger.
    - You should now see the battery-charging icon. It shouldn't boot up on its own anymore. Just let it sit and charge to full capacity.
    Yes. Both alone and with Google. All that happens is my device continues it's endless reboot loop until the battery dies. You never see the bootloader, you never see anything but logo and static.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    You are not getting this. There is no sticker or marking of any kind on the device. None. Not by the USB port, not anywhere. On the devices I returned for light leaks there were. There is not on one this device.
    OK, no need to get pi**y about it. Everyone, including a brand new one I got just last week had the sticker. When you said "no" when I asked if you removed it, I figured maybe you just hadn't noticed it was there.

This is a great example of why I never throw away the boxes for gadgets. At the very least, the serial number and other pertinant info should always be recorded before discarding the box.
    1812dave and eyeCandyx like this.

If the device was registered in the play store, the SN has to exists on google servers some where. What is listed under devices on your dashobard? https://www.google.com/dashboard
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysus View Post
    If the device was registered in the play store, the SN has to exists on google servers some where. What is listed under devices on your dashobard? https://www.google.com/dashboard
    I thought of that. The 7 is listed, but no S/N is with it.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

OK, no need to get pi**y about it. Everyone, including a brand new one I got just last week had the sticker. When you said "no" when I asked if you removed it, I figured maybe you just hadn't noticed it was there.

This is a great example of why I never throw away the boxes for gadgets. At the very least, the serial number and other pertinant info should always be recorded before discarding the box.
    Yup, up, sorry. I less pi**sy than just plain PI**ED. To have them just hang up was appalling. There was no heat to the exchange. They were collecting facts - name, address, phone, all very matter of fact. Then oops, no s/n. Click. Google didn't care about the S/N, they just tried to help. What difference does it make anyway? ALL units are still in that warranty window.

Go to Settings/About tablet/Status. The serial number should be listed there.

Edit--oh wait, stupid suggestion, since you can't even get the unit on. Sorry!
    Ry likes this.

Pop the back off and check/reseat your battery connection....

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

My Nexus 7 has the serial number on a sticker on the inside of the back cover. The back cover is really easy to remove, you can pry it off with your finger nails, or use a plastic pry tool if you prefer. There are no seals on the Nexus 7, so as long as you are careful they won't be able to tell you have opened it.

btw, google play only wanted the "CSSN" number off mine, so maybe Asus can use that instead. It can be found on the box ( which u don't have) or inside as the N7 listed as "UUID" (16 digits) to the right of the circled battery plug in the pic above. Just don't refer to it as the UUID or they might know you've opened it...

Quote Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
    My Nexus 7 has the serial number on a sticker on the inside of the back cover. The back cover is really easy to remove, you can pry it off with your finger nails, or use a plastic pry tool if you prefer. There are no seals on the Nexus 7, so as long as you are careful they won't be able to tell you have opened it.
    Any thin piece of plastic will do, guitar pic, tab from hotdog buns bag.. etc.. Check youtube for vids..

I bought my Nexus 7 when they first came out and it did not have a sticker on it with the serial number. I guess the newer ones do?

Fortunately I still have my box and was able to get the serial number from the box when I needed it.

Google knows your s/n. Call them back and tell them you need it for the ASUS warranty repair.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by pete_lockwood View Post
    Google knows your s/n. Call them back and tell them you need it for the ASUS warranty repair.
    I'll give that a try. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by pete_lockwood View Post
    Good luck with that. I have been trying since Monday (now Friday) to get a replacement from Google (bought mine from Google store). My wife threw away the box before I knew it. Anyway, they wanted the SN and CSSN number. Told me I could get it from the Nexus 7. Only problem my Nexus 7 is dead, have tried all the things posted with no luck. Goggle apparently can't find the numbers in their system, have talked to 3 reps. On the road this week and remembered I might have taken the stickers off the package that had the numbers and stuck them in the warranty book, got home today and sure enough they were there. Called and hopefully I can get the ball running on the replacement.

To the OP, the only way to get the numbers for you will be to carefully take the back off. They are on the inside of the back cover. Not really that hard just be careful and take your time. MIne did not have the sticker by the USB connector either.

On the Nexus 10 it has an access panel on the back that lets you see the SN. Too bad the 7 doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Go to Settings/About tablet/Status. The serial number should be listed there.

Edit--oh wait, stupid suggestion, since you can't even get the unit on. Sorry!
    You need to apply for a job with Google support That is what they told me to do after I told them I didn't have the box and the Nexus 7 was dead.
    MikeLip, B. Diddy and mr_nobody like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast