Nexus7 turns itself off with cover closed ...

BritBlokeNJ

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry if this has been posted before, but:

I have a Nexus7 and one of those covers with a magnet which turns off the screen when closed.

Until now, the N7 stayed on permanently, closing the screen when the cover was closed and turning the screen on when the cover was opened. Now, however, if the cover is closed for say, an hour, or over-night, the device just turns off and requires a cold start from the ON button when I next want to use it. This is irritating and I can't see why it's started to do this.

OS is 4.1.2, and although I'm occasionally offered a system upgrade (?) which I accept, the OS remains 4.1.2, if that means anything.

ty

--

bbnj

dave1nyc

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
How much free space do you have on your device? I'm wondering because the obvious answer to the sleep problem would be to see if it persists in 4.2, and the fact that you keep trying to let it upgrade and it won't makes me wonder if there's a space problem.

If space isn't the problem, then you can google the technique for downloading and updating, but it's not nearly as easy as just upgrading in place.

BritBlokeNJ

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
It checks and says I have the latest software/firmware.

The settings still show 4.1.2

The device is getting more and more temperamental about switching on too.

BritBlokeNJ

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to reply to myself, but ...

After yesterday's 3rd Factory Reset, the N7 became extremely difficult to switch on. However, after writing the last message the unit did turn on. I went immediately to:

Settings >>> About Tablet >>>System Updates

which informed me it was downloading a firmware update of 80.6Mb. I watched the progress until it started installing.

When the unit switched itself back on it seemed to be working as its old self (good) although Android Version still shows as 4.1.2.

It's a mystery ...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08