Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By wunderbar
  • 1 Post By mathelm
  • 1 Post By mathelm
  • 1 Post By mathelm
  • 2 Post By MJKearney
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Headset Static While Charging at 100%

If I leave my Nexus 7 plugged into the charger after it's reached 100% charge, or even if it's closing in on 100%, in the upper 90% range, there is very bad static while listening to any audio through a wired headset. Once I unplug the charger, the static goes away. This happened on my first two N7 units from July and August, which were returned for screen lift and a blown speaker, respectively, as well as my current unit that I've had since August. Therefore, I suspect it's simply a design limitation and not defective units.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Default Re: Headset Static While Charging at 100%

Wall or car charger?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Miss View Post
    Wall or car charger?
    The standard charger that comes with the N7.

Yea that's normal. My guess is that the electrical flow is changed once the battery is charged and there's some flow near the sound card causing some interference.
    liljew likes this.

No static here. But will add it to my things to test list for when my replacement (blown speaker) arrives next week...

3g model..
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    No static here. ... 3g model..
    Interesting. Perhaps the 3G model is configured slightly differently in terms of shielding and electrical circuitry.

Doubtful... You probably just have better earphones than me.....

But it is the first I've heard of it...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Doubtful... You probably just have better earphones than me.....
    Well, this is the reason I just ordered a Bluetooth stereo headset. That should solve the problem, plus free me from my N7 tether. My current solution is to unplug my N7 after it's fully charged, but then I have to reach two feet to do it, which disturbs my couch potatoism mode.

Be aware, have been reading about bluetooth issues with the latest JB update here, something about studdering... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    No. Nothing like that on my 16gb purchased last September.

Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    Yea that's normal. My guess is that the electrical flow is changed once the battery is charged and there's some flow near the sound card causing some interference.
    You're kidding, right?

No. Nothing like that on my 16gb purchased last September.

You're kidding, right?
    The NExus 7 is not the first device i've encountered this on. Interference is actually fairly common if electrical current isn't shielded properly. I can make this happen on demand on my N7, just charge the battery to 100% while listening to anything on any set of headphones I've tried.

If you have interference from a DC charging circuit you have a grounding issue.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

If you have interference from a DC charging circuit you have a grounding issue.
    Interesting thought. I'll experiment with different outlets and if that doesn't work, then in a different house.

Problem with that thought is that there is no ground on the charger.....

Of course it could just be the CIA satellites reading your thoughts again..... Tin foil anyone?....
    Last edited by mathelm; 01-20-2013 at 04:32 PM.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Problem with that thought is that there is no ground on the charger.....
    Of course it could just be the CIA satellites reading your thoughts again..... Tin foil anyone?....
    I have no thoughts of much interest to myself, let alone the CIA, so I'm not too worried. However, it's still worth a try to check different outlets and without an extension cord.

Have you tested different earphones? Many are made to act as antennas (not used by the nexus 7) and could be picking up or amplifying the noise from the charger.....

or possibly the neighbor's microwave....

But yes, test everything...

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    Interesting thought. I'll experiment with different outlets and if that doesn't work, then in a different house.
    It would be interesting to hear what you're hearing. Do you have an audio input on your computer that you could connect the output of your Nexus to, so that you could record the output?

It would be interesting to hear what you're hearing. Do you have an audio input on your computer that you could connect the output of your Nexus to, so that you could record the output?
    Are you saying the noise could just be a distorted echo created because of the unique distance between the cranial bone structure (skull) and actual grey matter (brain)?

liljew likes this.

What I am saying is that the word "static" has been used to describe pink/white noise, TIM distortion, hum components, break up, and countless other audible aberrations.

The more one knows what the problem sounds like, the more accurate will be their prognosis.

ahhh.... so you more of a proctologist then....

What kind of accident did the proctologist have?

He was rear-ended!
    liljew likes this.

Are you just by nature, the loud mouthed joker at the party, or are you purposely trying to provoke me?

Diffidently not going for the provoking thing... just a giggle on a slow night....

Google music is slowing my net connection while it uploads my collection....

A man went into the proctologist's office for his first exam.
    The doctor told him to have a seat in the examination room and that he
    would be with him in just a few minutes. Well, when the man sat down
    in the examination room, he noticed that there were three items on a
    stand next to the doctor's desk: a tube of K-Y jelly, a rubber glove,
    and a beer.
    When the doctor came in, the man said, "Look Doc, this is my
    first exam... I know what the K-Y is for... and I know what the glove
    is for... but what's the BEER for?"
    At this instant, the doctor became noticably outraged and
    stormed over to the door. The Doc flung the door open and yelled to
    his nurse, .....

"Dammit all!!! I said `a **** LIGHT'!!!"
    liljew likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

I suppose I could try this, but when I graduated from college two years ago (alright, it was 28 years ago, but feels just like yesterday... oh who am I kidding, it feels like a million years ago), I swore that was the end of my education because I hated homework, and especially hated not being paid to go to school. They actually charged me a whopping $400 per semester fee to go to a California State University. Highway robbery, that was!

Anyway, because I loathe homework so much, I think I'll skip the recording assignment. Give me an F, I don't care! But it's classic static, with hissing and popping and crackling and all that good stuff. Ongoing, but random in pattern and intensity. No white noise here, just very annoying distortion. Sometimes it quiets slightly, but if I open an app or touch the screen, it seems to disturb my N7 even more.
    Are you saying the noise could just be a distorted echo created because of the unique distance between the cranial bone structure (skull) and actual grey matter (brain)?
    Interesting theory, but when I bang my head against the wall every morning, all I hear is an echo, then a voice asking, "What do you want?"
    mathelm and liljew like this.

Found you sound... well heard it anyways... Plugged my nexus into my PC's "line in" for better sound last night. This morning I added the usb data cable (nexus at 100% charge) and heard a low but regular blip blip sound with nothing playing. New one (N7 replacement for blown speaker) will be here this morning. I'm sure it will do the same thing, but will let you know.

Not sure what the fix would be, but do you have a ups you could plug into for cleaner sine wave to you charger?

I have the same problem and I do too believe it is a hardware issue by design.