Nexus 7 turned itself off at 44% and said it was at 0%

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Was watching Netflix and looked at my phone, and then all of a sudden in realized my nexus turned itself off and it said it was at 0%

I quickly grabbed the charger and restarted it and it says 44%

I have been having an issue in which I charge my nexus and it stays at 100% for a long time unless I play a game or something, then the battery actually starts to decrease

So maybe the battery wasn't giving me the correct reading but then again, aren't we supposed to get a warning message before the battery gets too low?

I'm running Aokp 4.1.2 with it's stock kernel

Can anyone help please, thx

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you only experienced this when the device is charging while also under heavy load (videos, gaming, etc.)?

It is possible that the issue is the kernel, even running the stock kernel. I'd download the stock kernel, or a replacement such as Leankernel, and flash that. I'd wipe the battery stats when you do so. These types of incorrect battery readings are often caused by kernel hiccups or otherwise just odd behavior. I've seen it multiple times on multiple devices, and in every case a good old reset, re-download (important), full wipe, and re-flash solved the issue.

If that doesn't solve the problem, however, it is still entirely possible that the battery has been damaged in some way.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you only experienced this when the device is charging while also under heavy load (videos, gaming, etc.)?

It is possible that the issue is the kernel, even running the stock kernel. I'd download the stock kernel, or a replacement such as Leankernel, and flash that. I'd wipe the battery stats when you do so. These types of incorrect battery readings are often caused by kernel hiccups or otherwise just odd behavior. I've seen it multiple times on multiple devices, and in every case a good old reset, re-download (important), full wipe, and re-flash solved the issue.

If that doesn't solve the problem, however, it is still entirely possible that the battery has been damaged in some way.

This was the first time it happened, I recalibrated the battery last night and will test it today

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Now the screen is just showing lines across it

Edit : after plugging and unplugging a few times, I was able to get it to boot up

Why did this happen? I guess either the battery calibration did not actually work, or maybe it truly wasn't charged to 100% because the indicator was still wrong

I'm thinking its possible that what I assumed to be 100% on the charging indicator,wasn't truly 100%,so when the battery got to 48%,it was really 0? Idk

Update : decided to wipe everything and take it from there

If I still have the issue, I'm going to return to stock and see if it still persists, and if it's done, i will see about my staples warranty

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Turned it off all night at 66%, just turned it on, and it's now at 6%

I think I read somewhere last night that this is supposed to happen when u have this issue, not sure tho

Also, it actually gave me a real low battery warning this time, with no auto shutdown

londonham

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Turned it off all night at 66%, just turned it on, and it's now at 6%

I think I read somewhere last night that this is supposed to happen when u have this issue, not sure tho

Also, it actually gave me a real low battery warning this time, with no auto shutdown

did you ever figure this problem out? the exact same thing is happening to me now.