Cracked! How Bad?

sirbry

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I cracked my Nexus 7 tablet last Sat.
I didn't drop it! But I have a few small radial cracks on the left side.

The screen below the glass looks fine.
But. I can't use the numeric unlock feature to tell if there is more damage, than to the glass.
Screen rotates, tablet wakes itself up, for the alarm, too.

How can I determine, if this is just a glass screen replacement or what I've read, something called a digitizer replacement?

Thanks

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I cracked my Nexus 7 tablet last Sat.
I didn't drop it! But I have a few small radial cracks on the left side.

The screen below the glass looks fine.
But. I can't use the numeric unlock feature to tell if there is more damage, than to the glass.
Screen rotates, tablet wakes itself up, for the alarm, too.

How can I determine, if this is just a glass screen replacement or what I've read, something called a digitizer replacement?

Thanks

You're saying that the touchscreen doesn't function (or function correctly) while the backlight (display) itself is turned on? If so, it's likely that it's been damaged as well.

If on the off chance you haven't restarted it yet, do that.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Glass (digitizer) and screen (LCD) are not separable as far as I know. So I guess to answer your question... Very...

I've read it's a $160 dollar repair via asus. Best bet may be to part it out on ebay to help fund a new one or find an older one (8 or 16 GB) on craigslist with a good screen for yours....

sirbry

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
You're saying that the touchscreen doesn't function (or function correctly) while the backlight (display) itself is turned on? If so, it's likely that it's been damaged as well.

If on the off chance you haven't restarted it yet, do that.

Are you saying to do a factory reset or a bootloader reset.
I have stuff on there, I'd like to recover, before a factory reset.

It's locked, so it won't power down, just goes into sleep mode and when awakened, it just reboots itself.
I tried, hooking it up to my laptop with no success!

I tried my new one and it does work.

How do I unlock a damaged touch screen?

sirbry

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow,

Ok,

But why do venders offer a glass replacement for $15 and a Digitizer for $147 or so?

Not an expert by any means, but I've seen both for sale?

I still want to remove stuff from the old one.
It has facial and numeric locks on!

Thanks!

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Yea I've seen them too. They are of course manufactured separately and I've read about people using heat guns and such to separate the two on certain phones. But everything I've seen and read about the nexus says that it is not only a tighter bond, but depends on a fairly perfect seal between the two, to prevent light bleed. Haven't seen a successful repair yet, but I don't guess it would hurt for you to try...

I haven't/don't use the lock screen, and this is my first android device (not an ex apple anything either) so...? But does the USB port not work when it's locked? I haven't tried that so I don't know. sorry...

sirbry

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks,

I got the facial recognition to kick in and unlock it.
Now once it is unlocked the usb connection works and I xfer-ed all of the nexus data off it or at least I hope so.

All I need now is to order the glass, I'll part it out and also need to keep the SD card.

Thanks for the reply!

kayaditi

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
This is a kind of fix but you can operate your tablet with a mouse. You need a Micro USB to USB 2.0 Adapter. I bought this one for cheap.
Amazon.com: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter: Cell Phones & Accessories
I got a thin line crack across the bottom & the entire touchscreen died. Once I used the adapter to attach a mouse, I could unlock the tablet & use it. Jellybean had an update at the time and (perhaps coincidence) the touchscreen started working. All except that small area near the crack. I just rotate the screen to get to what I need. Better than using it as a pricey coaster.
I was just hoping to use it with the mouse. Having the touchscreen reboot was an incredible surprise. Hope this helps someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair