Very Slow Charging

Jimbob2705

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I am finding that my Nexus 7 is charging very slowly. I left it on charge for 7 hours and it is only 70% charged.

For example I can plug it into charge and still use it on the internet - and it will still lose battery!!

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

James

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I also had the same trouble when I used a different USB/micro USB *cable*. Just the cable mind you--the wall plug unit is the same as always. I wanted something different than the tiny (3', maybe) one that's supplied with the unit. So I got a 10-footer off ebay, but it was pretty crappy.

I don't know if it was just a POS cable, or if the actual length somehow increased resistance and allowed less charge to make it to the N7. When I went back to the original tiny cable, it works fine.

Did you make a change like this?

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You need a 2.0 amp or higher I believe

It *can* charge on a 1amp charger but it'll be really slow, and if you're watching streaming video while charging it via that it basically doesn't charge at all. You can also use a USB port on a computer in a pinch, but at 500mA it'll only charge at all if it is on standby/off and if you're doing anything on the tablet it's using more power than it is pulling in, so the battery will still drop, though more slowly.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It *can* charge on a 1amp charger but it'll be really slow, and if you're watching streaming video while charging it via that it basically doesn't charge at all. You can also use a USB port on a computer in a pinch, but at 500mA it'll only charge at all if it is on standby/off and if you're doing anything on the tablet it's using more power than it is pulling in, so the battery will still drop, though more slowly.

Is there a *max* amperage it can take, or is everything that outputs 5VDC kosher?

holmes6

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Don't overlook defective hardware. This has happened to me with 2 N7's now. No combination of chargers and cords makes any difference, nor does factory reset, factory rom, custom rom, etc etc..
Asus will RMA it, but their speed is horrendous and they may just send it back after weeks in the same condiditon.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
It could be an app thats eating all your battery... Mine used to lose 10-15% Overnight when it should only use around ~2-4% and i had to charge it ever like 4 hours
Found out it was the battery app I had... went back to normal after I uninstall it. .

Arya Assemi

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Don't overlook defective hardware. This has happened to me with 2 N7's now. No combination of chargers and cords makes any difference, nor does factory reset, factory rom, custom rom, etc etc..
Asus will RMA it, but their speed is horrendous and they may just send it back after weeks in the same condiditon.

I did the same thing with mine and i just got mine a few days ago and STILL its in the same condition. I dont have much of a choice but to call them again and tell them that it seems like it never was repaired in the first place. Nightmare...

pixelsyndicate

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to get this feature back, and it may be due to an app I had previously installed, but the was for a time a time to charge indicator in my upper left pull down menu where I could very specifically see how long the predicted charge time as I switched between chargers, PC USB ports and cables. May be that I uninstalled fancy widgets or something like that, because I haven't seen this feature for some time. Charger and USB port type strongly influenced my charge time.

niconj

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I just had the same problem... I was wandering if my cable was the problem but I borrowed a charger (not via USB) and pluged it to the electrical socket... It charged 50% of battery in 7 minutes...

Hope it helps you...

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I just had the same problem... I was wandering if my cable was the problem but I borrowed a charger (not via USB) and pluged it to the electrical socket... It charged 50% of battery in 7 minutes...

Hope it helps you...

Not good to charge too fast. DEFINITION : C= Battery Capacity in milliamp-hours. So if you charge in one hour you are charging at rate of one C. Provided charger charges at less than 0.5 C. They don't want you to charge too fast because charging produces heat for one thing and heat is the enemy of battery life. Also the process of charging involves ion movement and chemical reaction in the battery which takes time. Charging 50% in 7 minutes amounts to 4.3 C. Way too fast. Surprised that the N7 allowed such a high rate. It also should have a temperature shutoff to prevent dangerously high temperatures and possible battery fire or explosion.

Charging a cell phone at twice the standard rate might decrease battery lifetime some.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop

Last edited:

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Hope it helps you...

Sounds pretty fast. What was the voltage output of the borrowed charger? The Nexus will control the current, and I'm surprised you charged so fast if the charger was 5 volts.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Sounds pretty fast. What was the voltage output of the borrowed charger? The Nexus will control the current, and I'm surprised you charged so fast if the charger was 5 volts.

Good question because some chargers may be 12 volts. The BB Playbook Rapid Travel Charger operates at 12 volts using the magnetic charger port and the PB uses a special circuit which involves rapid clipping action to ensure that voltage never reaches too high a level at the battery. Wonder what protection the N7 has against too high a voltage at the USB port? There should also have been protection against such a high charging current as was reported. Would like to see more data such as provided by Battery Graph or Gauge Battery.

From my N7 or BBPB or HPTP or HP Laptop