N7 WiFi Capacity Usage

groberts0

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Since getting my N7 early last December my WiFi data usage has gone through the roof - what is everyone's experience of this?

My BT contract is for 10GB per month, which 3 out of every four months I stay within. On the occasional time I do exceed the limit it rarely goes above 15GB for which I pay a ?5 surcharge per 5GB. This month I have apparently used 25GB, what is going on + how can I monitor the N7 WiFi use of WiFi Capacity? Yes. I do use the internet a bit more than before but only a little and do not carry out any major downloads, such as films. I have bought a couple of e-books on Kindle - are these WiFi hungry?

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
There are network monitoring apps on the market, so you can try those.

But here are some other tips:

1. Go into your WiFi settings and set it to Keep WiFi on during sleep: Never. This means anytime you aren't using your tablet, the WiFi is turned off.
2. Turn off WiFi when you aren't using network apps, games, books, etc.
3. Use Advanced Power Toggles to easily toggle WiFi, sync, aGPS data sync, etc.
4. In settings, go to Accounts and turn off sync for things that you don't use so when things do sync, it is only the things you want.

Kindle does use the wifi every time you open and close a book. It isn't WiFi heavy once you download the book, but it syncs your progress in the book. If you don't read books anywhere other than on the N7, you don't need that to happen, so you can turn WiFi off when reading.

Griff88

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I use an app called My Data Manager which is excellent - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...android.mdm&feature=nav_result&token=OYen1gjW.

It allows you to see how much data you're using over an hour, day, week etc and also see which apps are using data and how much.

Some sample screenshots from my Nexus 7 -

Screenshot_2013-01-24-15-01-39_zps6299b6ac.png

Screenshot_2013-01-24-15-01-58_zpsdc8c5a79.png

Screenshot_2013-01-24-15-02-17_zps11277d3e.png

DavdEBSmith

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
When I was playing around with a wifi hotspot device I found that Google Books ate up a huge amount of bandwidth. I had a couple of books that were public domain scans of old books so they were large files - like 50 MB - and for some reason they got transferred multiple times and it ate up 500 MB of bandwidth real quick.

Also there is a data usage app built in to the N7 - go to Settings, Data Usage. Perhaps the Data Manager app will give you more detail, though.

groberts0

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Have installed Data Manager but can not understand how to set-up the format shown above by month, day, app etc. I suspect I'm missing something obvious or are these layouts from a paid for version - I'm using the free download. Can anyone help (Griff88)? Thanks.

Last edited:

Griff88

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Have installed Data Manager but can not understand how to set-up the format shown above by month, day, app etc. I suspect I'm missing something obvious or are these layouts from a paid for version - I'm using the free download. Can anyone help (Griff88)? Thanks.

Scroll/swipe the page left and right to change between various display options.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE