Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Smart flip phone and with tablet tethered to it, over standard smart phone?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

7 46.67%
  • Nay

8 53.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

Yea. I always want my phone with me. I sometimes want my tablet with me. I occasionally want to tether my tablet to my phone. I'm carrying around a 5+ year old flip phone and I'd buy one with hotspot capability in a minute. And will as soon as I find one...

Quote Originally Posted by Channan View Post
    Why a flip phone? Why not just any dumbphone? My sister's old LG Vu could Bluetooth tether for free. That was neat, since unlimited data only cost like $10/month on dumbphones.
    You pretty much said the same thing.
    A dumb phone is the same thing as a flip phone.
    Dumb phone is just a slang for a flip phone.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC Realtor View Post
    At that point why not have the phone built into the tablet like the upcoming Samsung Note 8

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    My original Note 10.1 3g is a phone too, which I think must be the biggest cellphone going! Of course it's a brilliant tablet, but I do use the phone sometimes, with my Bluetooth S. Pen, or a headset.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    583 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JoseMendoza8 View Post
    You pretty much said the same thing.
    A dumb phone is the same thing as a flip phone.
    Dumb phone is just a slang for a flip phone.
    Lol what? No it isn't. There are plenty of dumb phones that aren't flip phones. There's even a Samsung flip phone that's a smartphone now.

I like tethering my 10" tablet to my TM506 using bluetooth. Up until end of December, Gmail Java worked great for email, opera and the native browser worked great for doing a google search, and the tethering worked fine for the few times when I was not within wifi range and wanted a larger screen on-line experience.

Now that Gmail java has been turned off, and my TM506 started failing in hardware, I'm looking for another t-mobile dumbphone to replace it.

Love my Note 8" tablet with phone service. Only have to keep up with one device. Would HATE to have to link my flip phone to my tablet every time I needed to get a bit of info off the internet or check my e-mail. Easier just to turn on the tablet and have internet service available instantly along with all my texts and phone records.

ASUS has a line of 'Padfones', which are basically 4-5" phones that dock into tablets--either a 7" or a 10". A bit of a niche market, but if you don't intend on using your phone and tablet as separate smart devices, it might be worth looking into. Just curious, have you tried 5" phones? My mom has pretty bad vision due to old age, but her Note 2 has a plenty big screen (and you can always change accessibility options for larger font). There are lots of great apps (e.g. keyboards) which make them easier to use. The huge benefit of having a smartphone is that the smaller form factor allows for instant access on-the-go; I didn't think I'd use my phone as much as I would, until I got it. Of course I could live without it, but I use it all the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by roguetrader View Post
    My original Note 10.1 3g is a phone too, which I think must be the biggest cellphone going! Of course it's a brilliant tablet, but I do use the phone sometimes, with my Bluetooth S. Pen, or a headset.
    That's actually really ingenious! With a wearable bluetooth headset like this that you don't have to have constantly in your ear, there's literally no need for a separate phone--you could answer your calls without having to pull out your tablet, so the larger form factor wouldn't even be an issue. With an even more eloquent bluetooth headset design--something you could have on at all times--tablets could easily be an all-encompassing phone alternative.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12