View Poll Results: Smart flip phone and with tablet tethered to it, over standard smart phone?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

    7 46.67%
  • Nay

    8 53.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Basically, what I'm saying is a flip phone that can act as a wifi access point for your tablet (like a lot of smart phones can now).


    I was just googling the subject and found a lot more interest than I thought. For me this would be the perfect combo, and with the aging population (think eyesight) I think tablets are the future as apposed to 4 and 5 inch smart phones.


    edit: please excuse the slight typo in the poll.....
    Last edited by mathelm; 01-25-2013 at 02:44 PM.
  2. #2  
    PWC Realtor's Avatar

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    At that point why not have the phone built into the tablet like the upcoming Samsung Note 8

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Mostly because you always need to have a phone on you. And the smaller the better. I work on a lot of things in a lot of places and am almost always by my lonesome. So I've tried to keep my phone on me (Under cars, topping 40 feet off a 80 ft tree, etc... ). Even with that phone being a military spec flip phone, I've gone threw a few. Which is why I've never owned a "smart phone" and this Nexus is my first android experience. All I know for sure is that the bigger the phone, the more chance of it being broke. The best phone I've ever had was the old motorola startac, except for the flimsy antenna it was perfect...



    Oj467 likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Nope. I don't own a smartphone because it would double my phone bill and I don't really need facebook access from anywhere. The tablet is perfect for me because I am at work or at home most of the time, so I almost always have internet. And when I don't have internet and I am out and about, I still have plenty of offline content if needed.

    Even if I did own a smart phone, I would not want this kind of functionality because it would requiring having your tablet with you at all times.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diknak View Post
    Nope. I don't own a smartphone because it would double my phone bill and I don't really need facebook access from anywhere. The tablet is perfect for me because I am at work or at home most of the time, so I almost always have internet. And when I don't have internet and I am out and about, I still have plenty of offline content if needed.

    Even if I did own a smart phone, I would not want this kind of functionality because it would requiring having your tablet with you at all times.
    Do you have a cell phone now?

    Not sure you're understanding the concept. Basically, what I'm saying is a flip phone that can act as a wifi access point for your tablet (like a lot of smart phones can now). And what you said, I don't need both a smart phone and a tablet...
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    A small flipphone simply wouldn't house a large enough battery to allow it to operate as a wifi hotspot for any really functional duration.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy8000 View Post
    A small flipphone simply wouldn't house a large enough battery to allow it to operate as a wifi hotspot for any really functional duration.
    Why not? I mean sure, the size of the needed battery would dictate the actual size of the phone. Which would still be smaller and less fragile than a normal smart phone is now...
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    What...you mean you didn't want to take your n7 up that tree?!?
    mathelm likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    What...you mean you didn't want to take your n7 up that tree?!?
    That's just it. I DID want too......
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    do flip phones(feature phones) even have the capabilities to tether? I dont think so. I havent found one that can.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    do flip phones(feature phones) even have the capabilities to tether? I dont think so. I havent found one that can.
    My point exactly....

    Back in the day I did hack my sprint flip phone so I could plug my laptop into it like a modem for internet connection. I remember sprint actually wanted $10 bucks a month more for me to have the privileged to use my minutes in a different way... Reminds me of apple....
  12. #12  

    Default Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    I don't see the point. If you just wanted connectivity in a small form factor, why not just go for a 3G/4G WiFi dongle? Calls and messages via multiple IP call apps, messengers etc.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Because I wouldn't always have the N7 on my person. And if I did, it simply wouldn't last very long......

    btw, mines a 3g so...
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Do you have a cell phone now?

    Not sure you're understanding the concept. Basically, what I'm saying is a flip phone that can act as a wifi access point for your tablet (like a lot of smart phones can now). And what you said, I don't need both a smart phone and a tablet...
    Ah, I misunderstood what you were suggesting. I thought you were saying that you needed the tablet at all times as the phone would just be a bluetooth connected device.

    I would be down for your suggestion now that I get your concept. If I was willing to part for a data plan, that is.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Why not? I mean sure, the size of the needed battery would dictate the actual size of the phone. Which would still be smaller and less fragile than a normal smart phone is now...
    And being a flip phone, with the battery being only located in the main part of the body, you'd lose the potential volume afforded to the housing of the display part.
    A compact 'bar' phone would be a lot less hindered by this, but even then you'd be asking a manufacturer of such to integrate a function at additional manufacturing expense on a model that would have generally lower sales volume to add a feature that it could not perform sufficiently to make it marketable as truly being able to fulfill that need for any viable period of time.

    Fragility is one issue (which, right off the bat, is substantially increased in any flip-phone versus any bar-style phone), but that's why companies like Otterbox do well, providing for those willing to add a degree of additional bulk for substantial added protection.

    It would be great to have an indestructible smartphone with hotspot, nfc, LTE, 2 week battery life that could be embedded in a wristwatch and transmit a 50" display to your sunglasses, but (exaggeration to enhance my point) the engineering requirements of a number of these characteristics are directly in conflict with those of others. All in all, phones are capable of getting smaller, more battery efficient, etc through technology innovations, but at the current stage of the game you have to compromise on your 'dream' phone and take one that can be realistically manufactured (i.e., not just technologically feasible but profitably marketable). And, of course, the market as a whole is demonstrating a preference for purchasing phones with larger screens.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    That may be the biggest bunch of nothing I've ever tried to read in my life...

    I wouldn't even know where to start to point out your fantasized misconceptions in the above....
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    That may be the biggest bunch of nothing I've ever tried to read in my life...

    I wouldn't even know where to start to point out your fantasized misconceptions in the above....
    Then find a place. Your post, frankly, was rude, added nothing constructive to the thread, and failed to specify any errors in mine or points in which mine did not reference the issue you raised.

    Sorry if you had difficulty reading my post; I'll try to boil it down for you.

    1. You said you wanted a flip phone. Flip phones are comprised of two parts: the main body, and the display. The battery by conventional design can only be housed in one part, the body. That means a greater limitation to the size of the battery as a % of the volume of the entire phone when compared to a bar style phone.

    2. You said you wanted a more durable phone. Flip phones have categorically been less durable than bar phones.

    3. You said a sufficient battery could fit in a flip phone and still be notably smaller. Battery requirements to drive a wifi hotspot are substantially higher than those required by normal phone data usage. "Large" phones now, which have substantially larger capacity batteries than would fit in a smaller flip phone, already have a pretty limited duration for which they can operate as a hot spot (especially if running on LTE), meaning that while a company could make a compact flip phone that had the capability, it would not have the utility to make it worthwhile for enough people to warrant its inclusion from a cost perspective, as the company still has to pass along that cost to the majority who would not be interested in the feature given that limitation.

    You asked "why not" in your response, and I gave reasons. I've summed them up here again in the hope you'll be able to see my reasoning. If you don't like someone's response when you open up a conversation, try to be civil and provide counterpoints. If I mistook your initial question (though that seems unlikely from your initial response), that's fine - say so and provide clarification.

    That said, I too would love the option of a small flip phone that could effectively do all these things, be more durable and compact, etc, but the reasons above are "why not."

    And once again, let's try to keep this friendly. These forums should not be the place for malignant posts.
    Flashfox and Chris Flowers like this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    1. I've got a tiny little straight talk samsung flip here running bluetooth who's battery last 3 days. Nexus is 10 hours at best. And it would only need to be a 5' hotspot, 10mw at most...

    2. Stop talking out of your a$$. There is no one who doesn't KNOW that a flip is more durable than any bar phone. I ran over my old I580 with a truck... 2 different times. Have dropped this cheap samsung 40 feet, with it open even...

    3. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I couldn't even finish the paragraph....

    I didn't want to answer because your points are so far from reality that it's a waste of time...

    This is friendly, I have a high tolerance for a lot of things. But BS isn't one of them, especially while trying to debunk one of my ideas...

    Save yourself, delete your post....

  19. #19  

    Default Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Mathelm you seem to have a strange understanding of how an amicable discussion works. You can't float an idea, and then expect praise without criticism. Worse you don't seem to know how to handle criticism without replying and adding a large dose of sarcasm and dismissal.

    It was a valid point about battery consumption. Most MiFi dongles have somewhere in the region of 4-5 hours before a recharge. Couple that with other basic mobile phone features and you're squeezing the battery life.

    Certainly from personal experience with tethering to a smart phone, it hammers the battery, and I tether a lot due to work commitments. Lodging in hotels with no WiFi, I've tethered tablets and laptops many a time. Where possible I tend to keep the smart phone on charge if I'm tethering.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sent from my Alienware M17X laptop - ooh look at the pretty coloured lights!
  20. #20  
    Channan's Avatar
    Keyboard Warrior

    Posts
    572 Posts
    Global Posts
    573 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Why a flip phone? Why not just any dumbphone? My sister's old LG Vu could Bluetooth tether for free. That was neat, since unlimited data only cost like $10/month on dumbphones.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Bluetooth would be fine if you could get the bandwidth up a bit. Not sure about the 4.0 standard, but BT= 800k where as wifi is 11M, which makes it around 14 times slower....

    Flip phones seem to be the only design missing from the wifi capable lineup. Other shapes are already available. Plus there design is naturally tougher ( think armadillo)...

  22. #22  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    1. I've got a tiny little straight talk samsung flip here running bluetooth who's battery last 3 days. Nexus is 10 hours at best. And it would only need to be a 5' hotspot, 10mw at most...

    2. Stop talking out of your a$$. There is no one who doesn't KNOW that a flip is more durable than any bar phone. I ran over my old I580 with a truck... 2 different times. Have dropped this cheap samsung 40 feet, with it open even...

    3. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I couldn't even finish the paragraph....

    I didn't want to answer because your points are so far from reality that it's a waste of time...

    This is friendly, I have a high tolerance for a lot of things. But BS isn't one of them, especially while trying to debunk one of my ideas...

    Save yourself, delete your post....

    It's difficult to debate with someone when their stance is evidently based on desire rather than facts. I'm hoping further responses on your part will consider providing some foundation on which you are building your argument.

    1. You don't support your argument by using a non sequitur. Your 'tiny little straight talk samsung flip' with a battery lasting 3 days isn't continually and actively running WiFi - power requirements for bluetooth are relatively trivial. And that's not 3 days of running data. Also, it is unlikely that a manufacturer would want to offer a hotspot that didn't provide what they deemed sufficient range for the bulk of the clients they expect would want it. That you would be fine with a 5' range does not make it the norm - I, for example, appreciate the fact that I can have my phone at my desk and take my tablet into the next room with no issue.

    2. Show me evidence beyond your own assertion that flip phones are inherently more durable. I've owned several flip and slide style phones over the past 20 years, and in my experience have found that the hinge mechanism wears over time as the material is fatigued, making it prone to loosening or breaking. I'm not saying they're not durable, but you don't have that type of built-in predisposition towards damage (not to mention that of dropping it open, where the hinge isn't designed to take a high level of shock in that position, sitting on it, etc). If you are prone to running over your phones with trucks and drop-testing from 40', though, you should probably consider some sort of heavy duty 3rd party protection for any electronics you may have. The single most durable phone I've ever owned was a Nokia 5160, closely matched by a BlackBerry 7290. Far, far more durable than any flip I've owned (including the StarTac, Phone of the Broken Antenna).

    3. I'm no expert on phones, though 10 years working with their manufacturers and vendors leaves me far from being brandable as a novice. You have not given an actual fact or piece of evidence or even argument to counter a single item I have raised. With two posts to this effect, I'm inclined to take your emotional rather than rational response to indicate that you do not have any thing with which to begin to refute those points factually, beyond your own opinion, and prefer to call "BS" on anything counter to it.

    So I encourage you to either back up your argument with a fact, rather than an emotion based on what you would like to be a fact, or let it go. My responses weren't meant as an attack or to aggressively debunk the idea you suggested, but rather only to point out some of the technological and fiscal limitations that make it difficult and unlikely to come to market in the near future in the form you expressed.

    If you don't like that, I'm sorry, but facts are facts. If you feel you do have some you want to bring to the table, I'd enjoy the opportunity to review them - perhaps you can enlighten me to things I've overlooked (that is, for what it's worth, one of the great things that forums can offer).

    I did enjoy the cartoon, by the way. It's quite representative - someone proposing a product they might like that in essence isn't technologically feasible and wouldn't drive high enough demand for sales, and someone else indicating the issues (though I'll argue that I expounded on why rather than what the outcome would be).
    Flashfox and Chris Flowers like this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    This thread seems to be no longer active, but I'll just add that I found this thread while searching for a non-smart phone that could be used as a 4G LTE hotspot (or more accurately, a 4G LTE hotspot that could be used as a phone). No such animal seems to exit. But if it did exist, especially if unlocked and cheap enough (about $100 without a contract), I'd certainly buy one (or more).
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Good to know there's more than one of us..lol And with the latest rash of smart watches, I think my math has been proven correct.....

    Being that I went through the pocket computer phase before most "candy bar" type smart phone users ( PPC's back in the 90's m early 00's), I can only hope that the current fade dies down at some point and people get back to a more phone centered concept. While the phone part was never tied to my PPC, I know how much better an arrangement it is to have my smart phone stuff separated from my media needs. Point really is that I miss the best most convenient phone I ever owned. My little digital startac.... If you've never owned one, you have no idea what a great thing a tiny phone is...
    42... need I say more...
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Poll: Tablet Tethered to a Smart Flip Phone, Yea or Nay?

    Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    BT= 800k where as wifi is 11M, which makes it around 14 times slower....
    For what it's worth, BT4 has a theoretical maximum of 3 mbps, though speeds in practice are closer to 2.1 mbps. It is theoretically possible to use BT to negotiate a 802.11 (WiFi) connection, with a 24 mpbs theoretical maximum. Not sure what the speed is like in practice on the BT-WiFi hybrid connection.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. flip phone to activate speaker during calls?
    By fatboygixxer in forum HTC myTouch 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 09:13 AM
  2. Tethering to Android phone via Wifi hotspot
    By eps3 in forum Amazon Kindle Fire
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-22-2011, 02:18 PM
  3. Phone to tablet tethering/screen sharing
    By Stefancchristensen in forum EeePad Transformer Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 07:03 AM
  4. Tether to a Sylvania 10-inch Magni Tablet?
    By RaVen Blackehart in forum T-Mobile Optimus T
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 07:52 AM
  5. new to TB/smart phones, few questions
    By shawnn218 in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Posting Permissions

B