Books purchased on Google Play - can they be read on any reader??

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a book through Google Play, but it seems only the Play Books app can be used to read it. Is this correct? Or is there some way to allow other readers to access it? (Mantano, Aldiko, Ebook Reader, etc.) I can't find the book file anywhere on the Nexus.
Thanks

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No, your information is not correct. You can log into play using your computer and then download an epub/pdf version.

You are right! Sorry I had forgotten about that. I don't believe *every* book is made available for that, but I remember doing it in the past, just not for a while obviously.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well the other thing is that for a non negligible period of time, this feature was broken but last time I checked, it was working again. Also, depending on the book, these downloads may be drm infected so you will need to handle them accordingly...

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all! I was able to get it visible in Aldiko and Mantano, but not the Ebook Reader app. I saw no way to import books in that app.

EDIT: I had talked with the Google Play people on the phone earlier, and they did not know about the ability to download the ePub and/or PDF formats!

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all! I was able to get it visible in Aldiko and Mantano, but not the Ebook Reader app. I saw no way to import books in that app.

Reading ebooks on any device is dependent on what that device allows by way of format / application and there are many many formats. The kindle app and kindle devices only allow by default .azw, .mobi, .prc, .txt, .pdf files but NOT .ePub. Because the Nexus 7 has the latest Android OS, you may use as many eReader applications you like and there are many more good ones than you have fingers and toes. Some of the best ones can read most all of the most common ebook formats like ePub as well as those employed by the kindles, like CoolReader. More on eBook formats here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book formats

Second, eBook converter / DRM removal tools are also as common as leaves on trees and I would never say one is best. However, the freeware Calibre is very widely used in the eBook community and has versions for PC, Mac, Linux and Android. Hamster is the converter subset of Calibre. Much more info here: MobileRead Wiki - E-book conversion

some more useful links:
calibre - E-book management --> Calibre home
Calibre: a single place to view, tag, and manage your ebook collection - freewaregenius.com
Hamster Free Ebook Converter: converts ebooks across a wide range of formats - freewaregenius.com
MobileRead
614 Places for Free eBooks Online ---> currently 600+ places for free books online
Best Free eBook Reader for Android ----> reviews of some of the best Android eReader Apps
Top Apps for Reading Ebooks on Android Devices | VikiTech.com -----> same as above reviews
Comparison of Android e-book reader software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ----> real nice comparison tables

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Wow, thanks! I'll get busy with these options and will hopefully figure it out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
No, your information is not correct. You can log into play using your computer and then download an epub/pdf version.

How exactly do we do this? I logged onto my Google Account and didn't see an option to download a epub/pd version of my books I purchased...

Thanks!

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
How exactly do we do this? I logged onto my Google Account and didn't see an option to download a epub/pd version of my books I purchased...

Thanks!

one way is to use the "Share" choice to a text file which will save the link to the file.

You may then use the "google book downloader" [available on CNET download.com] to capture a PDF image of the book to your Desktop. From there you can do what you like.

otherwise, if you press and hold on the book cover, you can select "make available offline" (pin the book) and this can supposedly be used for reading in Chrome

even more info in this vid: (I just found it but did not watch it, you might find easier ways in it)
How to transfer your purchased Google eBook to your eReader - YouTube

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!

Once at your Google Play site, choose 'My Books', then click on one of your books. From there click on the tab 'How to Read'. On that page, scroll down to 'eReaders and Other Devices' where you'll see the options to download the ePub or PDF versions of the book. HTH

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1