Nexus 7 wont turn on

markeee

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I bought a nexus 7 2 weeks ago and at first everytihng was fine - until a week ago when It ran down entirely and couldn'tr get it to come back on

I kept getting lines going up /down the screen when the charger was plugged in / and also the screen flashing on and off - I assume when this happens it's not charging as it isnt making proper contact with the battery? ended up getting it to stay backlit and left it like this fior a few hours came back and it was working

fast forward a few days copied a lecture video onto it, took it to work and when I got there it was dead ..nothing

since then (3 days)i havent managed to get it back on , ive got it plugged into the mains atm and it's backlit

my question is:

when it's charging what SHOULD be visible? does it being backlit mean its charging??? or should I see a battery with %s or some other icon?!

any help appreciated

M3anD3an

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
From what I've been reading around here, you want to avoid completely draining your N7. With that said, when the N7 is charging (when off), you should see a battery symbol in the middle of the screen with a blinking gauge. I unplug it when the battery icon is fully white. When on, the battery icon on the upper right corner should have a "lightning" symbol inside the battery icon.
I don't think it's charging properly if it's backlit. You may have to send it back to get the battery replaced, but hopefully someone else may have better insight.

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem. My Nexus 7 was working today, but tonight it will not come back on. I got it three days before Christmas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

markeee

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
From what I've been reading around here, you want to avoid completely draining your N7. With that said, when the N7 is charging (when off), you should see a battery symbol in the middle of the screen with a blinking gauge. I unplug it when the battery icon is fully white. When on, the battery icon on the upper right corner should have a "lightning" symbol inside the battery icon.
I don't think it's charging properly if it's backlit. You may have to send it back to get the battery replaced, but hopefully someone else may have better insight.
Thanks mate that helps a ton - I wasn;t sure what I should see when its chargng but off - previously when it was working I'd charged it while it was on /in use

I take it the flashing pixels when I plug it in to the charger also means isnt probably isn't charging?!

I had this problem a few days ago, I plugged the nexus7 into the mains charger , left it, came back a few hours later and the battery symbol had appeared and it came on..but before that I was getitng either the backlit screen or just flashing pixels

this is so annoying i can't tell what it's doing!!

I read that it may be stuck in a boot cycle?!

markeee

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem. My Nexus 7 was working today, but tonight it will not come back on. I got it three days before Christmas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi mate, what happens when you plug the nexus into the charger in the mains- backlit /flashing pixels?!?!

Secondly, have you tried to force it to go off i read :

. hold the power button down for 30seconds --- this didn't work for me, it came back on still with a backlit screen/flashing pixels
. hold down power and volume down (-) for 30seconds which will allow you to get into the boot menu

Keep holding the buttons till it reboots to the bootloader.
- Cycle through the menu selections and choose to power off the device.
- Unplug then re-plug the charger.
- You should now see the battery-charging icon. It shouldn't boot up on its own anymore. Just let it sit and charge to full capacity.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...creen-goes-dead-pixels-fly-across-screen.html

I've tried everything I've read and nothing..held power down for 30secs..held down power and vol - and all that happened was it went off then came back and it was still just a black backlit screen

cert15z

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine too come back on. I had to hold the power button and the volume down button and restart it that way. :)

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've tried everything I've read and nothing..held power down for 30secs..held down power and vol - and all that happened was it went off then came back and it was still just a black backlit screen

You have a new Nexus 7 that you can't power up. What are you waiting for? Send it back and get a new one already!

EDITED TO ADD: My Nexus 7 is a half a year old. If this was happening to me, I would do whatever I could to get it to work, including opening up the back and reseating the battery connector. But the power up behavior on my tablet has been flawless. On a new unit, however, replacement is the best option.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

michap

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I've had that happen to me a couple of times if I've let it discharge completly, but only when using other cables and/or chargers than the ones that came with the tablet. I guess that if the amps aren't high enough the high consumption when starting up makes the voltage drop so much that the 7 can't start properly.

/Micha

JockTheScot

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
To charge a dead Nexus 7:

1. Plug-in your dead N7 to a wall charger. (Jump immediately to step 2.)
2. Immediately after plugging it in, press Volume Down and Power at the same time.

*This should get you into the bootloader menu. You may have to try this with different chargers or test out the timing in order to get it to work.

3. Once in the bootloader menu, use Volume Down until you see ?Power Off Device.?
4. Choose that option with the Power button.
5. Once your device is off, unplug the charger and then plug it back into the device.
6. You should now see the battery meter (pictured above) with your device returning to life.

Chris_C1

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
This has happened to me a couple of times. I suspect in my case there is a loose battery connection (battery was at 90%+). My quick fix is to tap (NOT BANG :) ) the nexus sharrply with the heel of my hand on the left hand side of the device in portrait mode.

I'll try opening the case up and try to fix it permanently though.

LoveMyNexus

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much!
I accidentally drained my battery and tried everything above (and from other forums) and was dubious when I saw this suggestion but YES, the "bump" (not bang) to the bottom left corner worked a treat for me! The battery charge symbol appeared on the screen right away.
Cheers!
LoveMyNexus

merlingeorge

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Help, missing my nexus already!! After putting my nexus down last night I returned to it this morning to be greeted with a blank screen and couldnt get it to power up. The screen was backlit whilst plugged into mains charger. Tried to hold down power on......nothing but some static across screen. I have finally mananged to get the green android on the screen by holding down volume - and power on. The only option I can select is fastboot mode. I tried this and all I got was a blank green screen...waited patiently for something to happen, which it did not. Not sure what I am doing now.....have the android back on my screen now after trying many times again...what next?

UPDATE..............managed to find the power off option......it is now powered off.......going to plug her back in now! Nope still the same...just backlit screen!

John Henline

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, I spent most of the day doing all kinds of things to get my nexus to come back on and something this simple worked great. GOOGLE LET ME GIVE YOU A FREE FIX ITS CALLED RECALL . THANKS JOHN TO FIX JUST TURN IT ON THE SIDE AND SHARPLY TAP THE CORNER A TIME OR TWO IT CAME BACK ON. ALL FOR A LOOSE BATTERY COME ON GOOGLE, I HAVE SOLD 17 PEOPLE A GOOGLE 7 BECAUSE OF THE WAY MY 1ST ONE WORKED,I LIKED IT SO WELL I GAVE MY KINDLE FIRE HD AWAY WHEN I BOUGHT MY 2ND. BY THE WAY MY KINDLE WAS LESS THAN 1 MONTH OLD. HOPE IT WAS WORTH IT....

Last edited:

vatoloco91

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
hey guys i have a huge freaking problem. okay so i'm gonna go a little ranty but i hope i can get some advice.
i was using my nexus 7 when i thought it was acting a slight bit glitchy. so i thought i'd turn it off and start it back up and see if that fixes it. turned it off. wouldnt turn back on, and i dont remember the battery being too drained at all. so i thought i leave it charging for a bit while i did a little research. so i read the 30 second power button hold. didnt work. i tried using power and down volume to get into the booting options. didnt work. i tried connecting it through usb to my pc and holding power and both volume buttons to completely wipe it. didnt work. i read it might be my battery. so i opened it but got a little worried so just sealed t back up. i let it charge for a while and tried powering it again. no dice. so i decided to open it back up and remove the battery and reinsert it to the connector to see if that fixed it. problem is i dont have very much sensitive feeling in my left hand fingers (guitar). heres why it was a problem. i was holding the nexus with my right and was trying to as gently as i could slip it back into the connector with my left index finger. finger slipped and knocked off a little tiny piece of metal that sticks out (1 of 4) that seems to make contact with the back cover. now im freaking out cuz i'm not sure if that was incredibly important! i have a week still to return it to walmart. should i return it if it doesnt power on tomorrow? btw i rooted my nexus, is that a problem? i really hope u guys can get back to me.

vatoloco91

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
okay. sounds good. i think thats my best option. i was freakin out so bad earlier, but since that seems the best option and the doesnt seem like they would have any reason not to take it back it should work ive calmed a bit. but is there a problem with google later finding out it was rooted if they get it back since my accounts on it? or that the little metal bit is missing?

usetheforce

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I purchased a nexus 7 at the beginning of Feb, and was impressed, no issues until the first time I turned it off with about 60% battery left, and then when I tried to turn it on again - nothing happened, plugged in the charger and again nothing, blank screen no charging indicator etc... Tried all sorts and then finally pressing the power button for ages then sprang it back to life, but every time it was turned off it would not turn back on or charge unless power button was long pressed, contacted Google and a replacement was sent out.
I've had the replacement for about a week, faulty one was sent back last week, and disappointingly exactly the same problem, first time turning it off unable to turn it back on again or charge unless power button is held down until it turns on, it works fine if its not turned off and left to just sleep with smart case of left to timeout, I can't believe I have had 2 faulty nexus 7`s and with the same fault.
Have contacted Google and another replacement is on its way but have told them if it is faulty then a refund will be my next request, I had a good chat with the customer agent and explained its as if there is no quality control happening with these units, its a simple thing to check before it leaves the factory, can you turn it back on after turning it off?!
There must be 1,000`s going out with this fault, plus the ones going out with the other known faults, I hoping 3rd time lucky but wouldn't be shocked if it that turned out to be faulty too, wouldn't be so bad if you could copy the entire contents of the nexus 7 when connected to a pc, but appears to not be the case, so for the 2nd time I will lose data that isn't included when doing backups.
Anyway, that's my experience of the nexus 7 so far, its a great piece of kit and has a lot going for it,if only you could be confident you could turn it on after turning it off!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie