1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default MHL via root?

hello, i am new here (you may know me from WPcentral though) but im getting a nexus 7 wednesday and i read that via root you can enable usb OTG, has anyone tried using a MHL cable when rooted? i really want to be able to mirror my screen to my google tv, otherwise ill just stick to dlna for streaming videos. thanks!

Default Re: MHL via root?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Balkema View Post
    hello, i am new here (you may know me from WPcentral though) but im getting a nexus 7 wednesday and i read that via root you can enable usb OTG, has anyone tried using a MHL cable when rooted? i really want to be able to mirror my screen to my google tv, otherwise ill just stick to dlna for streaming videos. thanks!
    my understanding is that mhl can not be enabled on Nexus 7 and no HDMI out is possible period. The hardware does not support it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutz View Post
    my understanding is that mhl can not be enabled on Nexus 7 and no HDMI out is possible period. The hardware does not support it.
    oh thanks! i thought maybe it was software that was meant not to support it and that maybe there was a software tweak to enable mhl out

nope, i don't know the particulars but apparently the chips to handle the i/o are not present. this is also indicated by the 4 pins in the pogo output vs 6 pins for Asus tablets with HDMI out available.

Hi - This is Krista from the MHL team. Yes - you need to have an MHL chip in the phone as well as the software required. If you would like to keep up to date with which phones do have MHL take a look on our website () or follow us on Facebook or Twitter under @MeetMHL. Have a great weekend.