Got A New Screen/Digitizer, now case magnet does not induce sleep.

mdmesser001

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Dropped my Nexus 7 around Christmas 2012. Sent it to Asus for a new screen/digitizer because I didn't want to spend 250 to 300 for a new 32 GB (16 GB were sold out), and paid $160 for the repair. Got it back, it was wiped (like a brand new device, but same serial number) but when I signed into my Google account, it reloaded and restored all my apps. I had to set up all the shortcuts/wallpaper again, but all seemed to be fine.

Then I discovered that the magnet in my case does not activate sleep mode anymore. Not a huge deal, since I have set it to go to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity, but I can't find any setting that mentions the magnetic sensor. The more I research, the more it looks like that's not a documented or supported function - just something that 3rd party vendors have discovered and have put to use in various cases.

Anyone know more about the magnet sensor? Can anyone point me toward a setting to change that might reactivate it? I don't want to take it apart to see if they neglected connecting a set of wires, but I am starting to think that might be the reason...

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but I don't have and couldn't find (either) an answer to your problem. But I thought you might find some of this interesting. Most of those I've read think that control of the sensor is built into the kernel, so no easy software fix ( this from people over at the XDA forum who want to turn the function off). People are saying that it's not being advertised because apple had it first....

From testing it's location with a weak magnet, I think the magnetic field sensor is the little (25101, circled in white) IC situated right between the Tegra 3 CPU and one of the RAM IC's. The magnet also seems to work better (farther away) from the bottom side.

I couldn't fine any info on the specific "25101" IC. But unless there's something on the back of the LCD, this has to be it. I even researched the Tegra 3 CPU (because of it's location) to see if Nvidia had built in a function like this.

This is the bottom side of the motherboard (facing the rear of the N7).

421755_4732529043685_1003310076_n.jpg

Nothing on the top side (Opposite first pic, up side facing the screen).

73781_4732528883681_1204279261_n.jpg

fyi, this is what the first pic looks like with the heat sync/shield still on.

555174_4732704768078_2026229219_n.jpg