Nexus 7 will not update OS

Ron Daley

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to Android products.

My Google Nexus 7 will not update. It's currently running 4.1.1, build JRO03S. I have tried to get the 4.1.2 and have tried stopping the Google Services Framework, etc. The update dowloads, the unit asks to restart and install. Upon restarting, I get the droid and progress bar. The progress bar stops after about a quarter. The droid "falls over" and I get the red esclamation point sign. Any ideas or suggestions? And I'm not looking to do anything that would void a warranty.

anon(161369)

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Are you rooted? If you were then it could be an issue with gapps not being installed properly, that has been an issue I've see with so many phones and won't be resolved until you either reset the device or return to complete stock which I would recommend whenever you update any OS version :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hope I'm following etiquette to piggy back a question.
The Nexus 7 is a planned new (first tablet) purchase.
Reviews say:
'The Nexus 7 has been updated since release with Android 4.2'
but adverts (in UK) typically show earlier (e.g. android 4.1 jelly bean).
Questions
1) Is it easy to download update and apply it (....usually... in light of above problem).
2) Is it done as a download first - bearing in mind if connection to internet lost then would be reliant on rollback being eddective.
3) Does update to OS retain preferences/user data or 'delete user data' in process.
4) I would wsh for retailer (or supply chain) to do the update prior to sale.
To avoid above hassle if possible, can anyone reccomend a retailer that has them already updated and at competitive price (I'm likly going for 3 model).
5) I read on one review the update is required for landscape mode keyboard to work. Is this true?

..oh. I don't (yet) know what rooted means.

TIA
Dave

Ron Daley

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you rooted? If you were then it could be an issue with gapps not being installed properly, that has been an issue I've see with so many phones and won't be resolved until you either reset the device or return to complete stock which I would recommend whenever you update any OS version :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

No, I am not rooted. Wouldn't that void warranties? I tend to play be the rules, but not having 4.1.2 and a rotating home screen is bugging me. :)
I bit the bullet and did a factory restore and tried to run the update first, but did not get anywhere.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hope I'm following etiquette to piggy back a question.
The Nexus 7 is a planned new (first tablet) purchase.
Reviews say:
'The Nexus 7 has been updated since release with Android 4.2'
but adverts (in UK) typically show earlier (e.g. android 4.1 jelly bean).
Questions
1) Is it easy to download update and apply it (....usually... in light of above problem).
2) Is it done as a download first - bearing in mind if connection to internet lost then would be reliant on rollback being eddective.
3) Does update to OS retain preferences/user data or 'delete user data' in process.
4) I would wsh for retailer (or supply chain) to do the update prior to sale.
To avoid above hassle if possible, can anyone reccomend a retailer that has them already updated and at competitive price (I'm likly going for 3 model).
5) I read on one review the update is required for landscape mode keyboard to work. Is this true?

..oh. I don't (yet) know what rooted means.

It's typically very easy to do so; the functionality is built into Android. You will either see a notification that a system update is available, or will have to manually go into the Settings menu and check for updates. The system will download the update and then prompt you to install, you can do it right then or do it later. If you lose your internet connection during the download, it will probably have you re-start the download but I'm not entirely sure. There should be no negative consequences of dropping the download halfway through. The OTA updates will not remove any of your data or reset your preferences.

If you purchase a Nexus 7, you will turn it on, set it up, and connect to Wi-Fi. The tablet will then check for updates automatically (it does so at activation), and you can then download the update and the tablet will simply reboot. It's very easy. :)

Also, about rooting, read this!

Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you happen to have a Google I/O N7? Devices given out at Google I/O are special builds that tend not to play well with updates.

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank-you for taking the trouble to reply Lumenii.
I hoped that would be the case, but you can never assume. If everything was perfect forums likely wouldn't exist. ;-)
Thank-you forthe 'rooted' link.
As a newby to tablets and smartphones I'm currently overwhelmed in bringing myself up to speed in reading about its bread and butter use, without considering what's beyond..
If I understand correct, I can 'root' at a later date, if I find I need to.

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hope I'm not stealing you're light Ron, question was context relevant so thought it best not to annoy responders with yet another thread on same subject.
I wish I could be constructive for your own issue. All I can think of from 'PC land' is:
i) Is there reasonable free space on the drive, for it to create a copy of the O/S etc. IIRC I read that the 32 gig model has 27 ish gig of usable space, implying 5 gig for O/S, so mayve 5gig plus jugglinng space is needed to perform the update...ot that could be complate B*l*x as a newby, but worth checking how much free space you have.
ii) If it's not funtioning as it should, I get the impression it's newish, so you could contact the retailer.

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Dave, you really should start your own thread instead of hijacking Ron's. Your questions have little to do with failed updates and are more new user questions about rooting and upgrading.

Ron Daley

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Purchased from Gamestop (BuyMyTronics).
I've contacted Asus and Google. One said to do a factory reset, which I did under protest. One says my serial number has not come up for updates yet. But wasn't the Nexus 7 supposed to get Jelly Bean 4.2? I'm just trying to get 4.1.2...

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Purchased from Gamestop (BuyMyTronics).
I've contacted Asus and Google. One said to do a factory reset, which I did under protest. One says my serial number has not come up for updates yet. But wasn't the Nexus 7 supposed to get Jelly Bean 4.2? I'm just trying to get 4.1.2...
Thank-you for pointer where you bought it.
I'm not familiar with BuyMyTronics, but it looks like pre-owned gear. Is yours new? Even if it's a shop demo, it may be hacked/booted etc and perhaps the reason for sale?
I've yet to buy mine, so don't understand why you are going for incremental update rather than the latest. Maybe the latest will over-ride the problem?
Please check with others first though that I'm not suggesting a dumb move.
As suggested by Wordpainter I've now started my own thread. This forum needs some more sub-forums, so was trying to minimze it's fragmentation.

tom1000

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Ron,
I have the same issue as you ... i have tried everything. Factory reset and even sideloading. I bought mine from officemax end of November and every 3 or 4 days it say there is a new update for 4.1.2 and i try ti install. It reboots and starts to install but fails to a green robot with red triangle and exclamation point. I have done this about 20 times

Im wondering if it has anything to do with the stock build JRO03S ... most are JRO03C

any help thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar