100% Frustration trying to play Ultraviolet Digital Copy movies on Nexus 7

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, redeemed a code at Flixster, selected "Download", which it did, as a .MP4 file, tried playing it with the stock video player, get "cannot play this file", tried with Moboplayer, same result, tried with MX Player, same result. Tried another film, does the same thing. What gives? How on Earth can you watch a legal movie on this device? Can someone help?

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok, redeemed a code at Flixster, selected "Download", which it did, as a .MP4 file, tried playing it with the stock video player, get "cannot play this file", tried with Moboplayer, same result, tried with MX Player, same result. Tried another film, does the same thing. What gives? How on Earth can you watch a legal movie on this device? Can someone help?

if you have larceny in your heart or merely want to get even, take your dvd and RIP IT. Then encode a compressed backup of the movie you PAID FOR to be played wherever you like.

Best Free DVD Ripper

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Will this rip Blu-Ray Discs? Reason I ask is that these are all Blu-Ray's and I do have a Blu-Ray drive for my PC, but I've never done any ripping of movies before (don't laugh), only done music.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Will this rip Blu-Ray Discs? Reason I ask is that these are all Blu-Ray's and I do have a Blu-Ray drive for my PC, but I've never done any ripping of movies before (don't laugh), only done music.

Yes, within certain limitations because BR disks have newer and more convoluted copy protection that must be broken to be ripped so newer more capable software must be used sometimes. You will need to do some homework to understand the steps required and the software to use, but you should find everything you need at that linked location and the additional links there and in the comments.

Keep in mind that breaking copy protection is like spitting on the sidewalk or jaywalking, perhaps against certain laws in certain jurisdictions but the case law is sparse, so do your homework and make up your mind on how to deal with that.

As usual, run anti-virus checks on anything you download before installing if the source seems flaky but Gizmos always tests anything they recommend.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Correct. Having registered as a customer with Flixster, and registered your purchase, Instal the Flixster app

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....android&feature=search_result&token=RFPccH0h.

and your purchased movie will be listed in the My Movies tab. I believe you have streaming online or downloading for offline options. Click on the movie icon then "Watch Now".

I had a bit of a rigmarole getting to that point, what with registering at this that and the other, but now I see how it works, it's OK. The movie I bought was The Bourne Legacy, so I had the set. In addition to the blu-ray, it had a digital copy redeemable via iTunes on my PC, and the UV copy watchable on my N7.

A UV copy in itself wouldn't tilt the purchase decision. I'd need to want the physical anyway, but if it's there, fine. It means all my *watch* options are catered for, without ripping anything.

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it says "Download" though so I was thinking the file could be downloaded to my Nexus, from Flixster, and viewed on my device. How silly of me to think the movie studios would do something that is simple and just "works" for the customer. No wonder so many people pirate stuff.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that was very silly of you ;)

Like sex, the first time is the worst. Once you've got their convoluted process in place, new purchases should just show up in the app and you're good to go :cool:

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They are showing up, that's not the issue, and I can stream 'em, but I want them to be downloaded so when my wife and I are travelling, we don't have to rely on wonky and slow Wi-Fi. I got the 32gb N7 specifically for putting a lot of movies on it, so I wouldn't have to stream.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
They are showing up, that's not the issue, and I can stream 'em, but I want them to be downloaded so when my wife and I are travelling, we don't have to rely on wonky and slow Wi-Fi. I got the 32gb N7 specifically for putting a lot of movies on it, so I wouldn't have to stream.

Again, a quick trip to the link I already provided will help. The first FAQ in that link is "how do I stream or download movies to my device" I'll even provide the direct link.

Flixster | How do I stream and download UltraViolet...

Sure you have to use the flixter app but the process actually seems fairly simple once you take a minute to look at it.

I don't live in the US so I don't get this, but I'd kill to have UV in Canada.

jblank

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sir, I appreciate your help, but if you read my first post, that is what I did. I clicked on that "download" and it does in fact download to my Nexus, but nothing will play the file, not even through the app itself. Tried it on my Galaxy S3 and the same thing happened.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Sir, I appreciate your help, but if you read my first post, that is what I did. I clicked on that "download" and it does in fact download to my Nexus, but nothing will play the file, not even through the app itself. Tried it on my Galaxy S3 and the same thing happened.
have you tried playing from the Flixster app? dont use MX,Mobo or any other player. its DRM protected and wont play on other players.

that's why i don't buy UV movies.

open flixter, go to movie section and click play. to test if its truly playing from downloaded copy. disconnect the wifi

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what the issue is. I downloaded the file (823Mb), it appears in the app as a downloaded movie I own, and plays fine within it, both on my N7 and on my phone. It doesn't play in MX Player.

I'd never buy a standalone UV copy. But if I'm buying a physical BD anyway, and it includes digital and UV versions, that's fine. Means I can watch on all my screens without messing around ripping.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Rip Bluray with AnyDVD HD, compress down to 720p with Handbrake, playback with MX Player.

Never worry about DRM again.

-Suntan

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The UV version plays natively on the N7. I think the digital workaround pre-dates UV release on Android. The digital version views in iTunes via PC or Mac.

Minkey1

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
One last time. Nothing needs ripping. Unless you're wanting to share the file.

PS: Edit in the interests of full disclosure - I don't have a bd drive on my PC, so can't rip blu-rays anyway.

I do have a DVD drive, and have ripped some of my collection to .mp4 for viewing on my N7 via MX Player.

But if, back in the day, those DVD's had come with a UV copy, I wouldn't have needed to.

But I understand the point that once ripped and un-DRM'd, the files will then copy to any platform and play without issue in a suitable media player.

Last edited:

mike31082

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
This problem isn't limited to the Nexus. I have an HTC EVO LTE and have the same problem playing UV movies through Flixster. The movie starts to load and around the 50% mark the player times out and says there was an error playing the movie. I notice the problem is persistent with almost all movies and started around the the time The Dark Knight Rises was released. It is a truly horrible marking ploy to give consumers a UV copy of a movie that obviously doesn't work.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
there isn't any big deal about ripping and then encoding. takes less than 30 minutes per movie generally and you all have wasted at least that much time farting around in this thread, LOL.

jblank, think of it as expanding your life-skill set. it is more than valuable to learn how to do this if you truly want to have backups of your movies to play on the road. Once you know how, and it ISN'T that hard, it's trivial to stick the BR in the drive (assuming you have a BR drive on your computer) start the process and go do something else while it pokes along. Then you can make the file play in whatever quality level you like and use any damn player you like.

If you like that idea but don't have the time to spend dicking around with it, go ahead and buy one of the commercial all in one products (20 - 50+ bux) and press the EASY button. However, I like having all the control and the knowing how. YMMV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge