How to use make Google Nexus 7 as a wi-fi hotspot?

matrix388

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hello everybody,

I just purchased a Google Nexus 7 32GB unlocked 3G from Google Play and the Carrier in my country provided me with a free tethering services. However, there is no option in the settings for using tethering and wi-fi hotspot feature. I tried some tethering apps from Google Play and no one of them worked with me. So is there any way to use this feature without rooting it?

And here's a snapshot of the settings section in my nexus:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7xrs7uswz5v2d4/Screenshot_2013-01-31-13-32-17.png

Last edited:

iMacro

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
listen,
as far as i know you can't without rooting your device because the OS won't allow the app to tether. I have been through the same situation you are in. You have to root. Rooting is so easy with toolkit. Rooting will give you amazing things and won't harm your device, and you can always unroot any time you want. Here are some of the things you can do when you root:
1- make your nexus 7 a wifi hotspot.
2- run whatsapp messenger.
3- take video shots of your screen.
4- feel more free to use game emulators on your device, like sony ps1 etc....
5- installing roms, interfaces and widgets.
i can write forever to tell you the advantages of rooting, but to be brief: " when you allow apps makers to access your system files, endless features will be between your hands".
You will find some apps that can make your nexus 7 a wifi hotspot on google play without rooting, this is not true and don't waste your time testing them.
Note: you may be able to use some of the above features without rooting, but it is faster and easier to save your time and effort by rooting your nexus 7.
thank you.
Abdussalam.

Hoppy063

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I use Open Garden, it uses blue tooth to connect devices and now my non rooted N7 works on 3g when connected to my mobile. Can be installed on laptops, phones and tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I use Open Garden, it uses blue tooth to connect devices and now my non rooted N7 works on 3g when connected to my mobile. Can be installed on laptops, phones and tablets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I think you missed the fact that his N7 has mobile data and wants to share the N7's 3g with other devices that I bet don't have bluetooth.

The new Jellybean 4.2.1 does not have tethering in any settings menu.

iMacro

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
when you root, just flash a zip file called jop4od or jop40c from your bootloader and then you will find the tether option under settings.
open garden app is very limited:
both devices have to have bluetooth.
both devices have to have open garden app already installed (please note that till now 12/2/2013 IOS in not suuported)
Hope this help
Thank you

Zoran Sladoljev

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
when you root, just flash a zip file called jop4od or jop40c from your bootloader and then you will find the tether option under settings.
open garden app is very limited:
both devices have to have bluetooth.
both devices have to have open garden app already installed (please note that till now 12/2/2013 IOS in not suuported)
Hope this help
Thank you

Hello, would some of the zip files work with JB 4.2.2 JDQ39? Is it too much work to make a zip for that build too?
Thank you very much in advance

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon