Google Nexus 7 16gig or 32gig?

xautumno

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to decide on whether or not to buy a 16gig or 32 gig Nexus 7.

I am rarely going to put movies on it & I am not going to be using it for music. I will be using it for minor photo editing, on site photo viewing (bc of the IPS screen), and internet at home instead of my laptop, which I only use for my photography business.

I will also probably upload a few games for my stepsons & 6 month old baby to use under my supervision.

I will be getting a case to protect it.

My 3 questions are this...

16 or 32?
Screen protector or no?
Protection plan or no?

I am relatively careful with all my techie gear. Never cracked a screen or dropped in a toilet, so I'm split on the extra 50-100$ for a protection plan, depending on where I decide to purchase.

HELP!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
some games can take some storage.

but since you dont use it for movies or music i would say 16Gb but later if you want to get the 32.

screen protector -- YES

protection play - probably not. its only 199. not worth it

bc2k

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I am rarely going to put movies on it & I am not going to be using it for music. I will be using it for minor photo editing, on site photo viewing (bc of the IPS screen), and internet at home instead of my laptop, which I only use for my photography business.

I will also probably upload a few games for my stepsons & 6 month old baby to use under my supervision.

16 or 32?
Screen protector or no?
Protection plan or no?

I am relatively careful with all my techie gear. Never cracked a screen or dropped in a toilet, so I'm split on the extra 50-100$ for a protection plan, depending on where I decide to purchase.

HELP!

If the extra 50 dollars isn't a deal breaker you might want the 32. Even if you don't fill it up it's good to have the room. As for a protection plan, I got a 32 from Walmart. Their extended warranty cost $28, which seemed like a good deal to me.

I'm using a case with a fold over cover, so I don't think I need a screen protector. Screen is covered during transport and I don't see any likely scratch type problems simply using it, so - yeah. :)

crimsonsky

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd tend to agree with going with the 32 if the extra $50 isn't an issue. Because even if you think you won't need the space, the extra space cushion could be handy. I have the 16 because the 32 didn't exist when I bought mine in August, but if it had I'd have opted for the larger capacity.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

16 or 32?

For the kind of usage you are talking about, 16 will be fine. You can supplement your memory needs with flash drive/OTG cable/Nexus Media Importer app combination. OTG cable cost me $1.

Screen protector or no?

No. The glass on this tablet is really hard. I have been using this nonstop for six months, mostly without a case and no screen protector, and there is not a single scratch in the display. I really love how the bare glass looks and feels. I can't imagine covering that up.

Protection plan or no?

It really depends on your philosophy towards these kinds of insurance products. If you broke the thing could you afford to replace it? If you had to wait a few months before you could come up with the money, how big of a hardship would it be to go without a tablet? Do you think your probability of having to make a claim is higher or lower than average?

I ask myself these questions every time I am confronted with a choice about insurance. It is why I say yes to health insurance, pick high deductibles with car insurance, and pass on extended coverage plans for appliances and electronics.

blakes278

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

16 or 32?
Screen protector or no?
Protection plan or no?

HELP!

I think u should go with the 32GB Nexus 7, becuase the extra space could really come in handy one day. the screen protection most likely wont be needed as the Nexus 7 has scratch resistant glass and is very hard. I would go with the protection plan because it would cost more to replace it and to just be on the safe side.:D

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I've always regretted buying devices with 16GB when I could've paid a bit more for double that storage space. So I'm advising 32GB. OTG helps but convenience of another 16GB inbuilt outweighs it for me.

Don't bother with a screen protector personally. If you buy a case, chance is it'll have a front cover.

Additional cover is an individual choice really as it largely depends on where you'll take it and what you'll do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
2009-02-13-rorschach.jpg

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
+1

hey Dizzo1992 I have been trying to make out what your Avatar pix is --- looks like a muskox buried up to his horns in sand wearing sheepskin earmuffs !! I bet I got that wrong tho ....

Lol! Close :p it's a picture of my xbox 360 gaming headset my astro a40 and my gears of War 3 controller rocking the halo controller now :D

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

Android 42

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a 16 gb Nexus. I have many apps and 1 movie on it. The total space bar is not even halfway filled up! The 16 works great for me and will be good for you too, if you don't plan on using much media. In addition, I don't have a protection plan but I do have an awesome warranty on it from a ompany called Square Trade. For just $50 only, the plan covers accidental breakage and all other things that could go wrong. I think that is he best investment in a warranty. See what you think!

Dizzo1992

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Grrr idk if I want the 32 gig or not I mean it's only $50 more but I have a 16 gb galaxy s3 and haven't used it up yet but it's nice to have the extra space...

The amazing galaxy s3 :D

dave1nyc

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Get the 32G if you can spend the $50. I got 32G only because I wanted the ATT cell version and there was no choice.

I thought it was a waste because I *knew* I'd never want to put movies or music on it. I was wrong on both counts, but didn't realize it until I had it. As for streaming, the cached stuff can be larger than you'd expect. For instance, as I've ordered a couple of hundred CD's from amazon over the years, and they are now making that available on their cloud player as mp3's, I find that I have a huge music library " in the cloud". But those mp3's get downloaded for playing.

And to my incredible surprise, I like to take movies, convert them to the smaller format and watch them. Never thought I would.

Were I to do it again, and if they offered a 64G for $50 more than the 32G, I'd go for that.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Were I to do it again, and if they offered a 64G for $50 more than the 32G, I'd go for that.

You are a prime candidate for the excessive storage use syndrome. I recommend several of each of these to avoid withdrawal symptoms:

microUSB readers Amazon.com: elago Mobile Nano II USB 2.0 microSDHC Flash Memory Card Reader (Black): Electronics
microUSB flash cards Amazon.com: Kingston Digital 32 GB microSDHC Flash Memory Card SDC4/32GB: Electronics
compact storage for microUSB flash memory Amazon.com: DiMeCard micro8 microSD Memory Card Holder (Ultra thin credit card size holder, writable label): Computers & Accessories
OTG adapter to plug into N7 Amazon.com: Buying Choices: USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin Male Adapter

software to allow massive storage :
rooted - stickmount https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...mNoYWluZmlyZS5zdGlja21vdW50Il0&token=d3xAFnPi.
unrooted - NMI https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...importer&feature=search_result&token=gWlHiohJ..

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance