Using the N7 as a near-full GPS..?

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Are there any limitations in the N7 GPS capabilities that would not make it nearly as good as your average stand-alone GPS unit, given the right app (TBD)?

A road trip is coming up, never bothered with a GPS before, and now that shiny new N7 is in my lap... Not looking for anything fancy BTW, semi-accurate maps, POI, gas/lodging should do.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but Google maps wont work properly without internet(it works with offline maps but has many limitations).
you have to have alternate option with turn by turn navigation without internet.

i believe there are few apps which will do what you need in market.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
search out the GPS MAP threads here and read up on others experience and input, but my take is that the N7 can do the job even if it is not a smoove as a dedicated Garmin type. Note that a couple of the apps DO allow off-line (no WiFi) navigation to do the job but others require continuous WiFi connection for complete function with interactive directions given.

there are at least 3 or 4 relatively recent good threads here if I recall.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have one vehicle with a built in GPS and three others with Garmins. There's no way that my N7 could ever take the place of any one of them. It can be used (I tried it) but really doesn't hold a candle to even an inexpensive Garmin. Those can be had pretty cheaply on eBay so I'd advise going that route.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it works just as well as stand alone GPS devices.

I use Sygic, which cost $12 or something and I get map updates twice a year for free forever. It is 100% offline, so you don't need a net connection and you don't need to cache maps or anything like that. In the US, you can download specific states, so I have 2 states downloaded and it takes up 500mb. It has POIs and everything included, so you don't need a net connection after you download the maps. Just download what you need before your roadtrip and you will be set.

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Google maps works perfectly offline if you navigate and zoom to relevant map areas online and save them for later offline use. That's a lot more handy than solutions that force you to download the map of a whole country. But if you do need to navigate across a whole country, then I recommend OSM based solutions like navfree.

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Google maps has its purpose, but it is very impractical to be forced to get your directions when you are online before you ever hit the road. Detours, accidents/traffic, change in location, unexpected travel, etc. There are so many situations in which requiring the online connection would be a pain in the ass. Google maps also doesn't cache the POIs in the map area that you cache, so it serves a very very limited purpose.

Both navfree and Sygic do not require you to download the whole country . . . just specific states.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Google maps has its purpose, but it is very impractical to be forced to get your directions when you are online before you ever hit the road. Detours, accidents/traffic, change in location, unexpected travel, etc. There are so many situations in which requiring the online connection would be a pain in the ass. Google maps also doesn't cache the POIs in the map area that you cache, so it serves a very very limited purpose.

Both navfree and Sygic do not require you to download the whole country . . . just specific states.

Agree with this. Google navigation is a nice idea and probably fine on a phone but if you have to deviate from the prescribed route it behaves less than gracefully.

That being said, navfree (which I like) does make you download the whole country _if you live in Canada_. It was about 500mb I think. However, once you install the maps for all the provinces, you can go in with a file manager and delete what you don't need.

rap1

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I use CoPilot Live Premium on my smaller Archos 43 tablet. I haven't transferred it over to my Nexus 7 yet but probably will. (You can only use it on one device at a time). There is a free version too now but not totally sure what the differences are. Google maps only works if you already know where you are going exactly and not taking detours. I used CoPilot on vacation to find a detour when there a backup on interstate and then later to find my cousins place out in the country that I hadn't planned on going too.

-BA-

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I have one vehicle with a built in GPS and three others with Garmins. There's no way that my N7 could ever take the place of any one of them. It can be used (I tried it) but really doesn't hold a candle to even an inexpensive Garmin. Those can be had pretty cheaply on eBay so I'd advise going that route.

Sorry but have to completely disagree. I now have my N7 mounted in my car with a Brodit Active mount and it works perfectly as my GPS and significantly better than a smaller screen as you only need glance at it. Frees up my phone to be a phone and no need for a dedicated GPS which is just a waste of money.

IMAG0322_zps2865d440.jpg

Last edited:

sampoodle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That being said, navfree (which I like) does make you download the whole country _if you live in Canada_. It was about 500mb I think..

Thanks, mr_nobody, just installed Navfree-USA, like it (only short test).
US state maps appear to be 60-90 MB each, so I could get the East coast on board, and then add/delete/swap as needed

Sygic, now seems to be 7-day trial only, before full upgrade, a bit short....

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Sorry but have to completely disagree. I now have my N7 mounted in my car with a Brodit Active mount and it works perfectly as my GPS and significantly better than a smaller screen as you only need glance at it. Frees up my phone to be a phone and no need for a dedicated GPS which is just a waste of money.

yeah, yeah - but does it show where the bodies are buried, have all the latest UFO alerts or answer questions of galactic importance like who sells the best burger ???

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/_BA_/IMAG0322_zps2865d440.jpg

Love your setup man. I'm definitely getting that kit. What offline app map do you use? It seems pretty bizarre that they included gps in a wifi only device. Does anyone know why? Hold the conspiracy theories please I already thought of a couple myself. ^^

-BA-

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Love your setup man. I'm definitely getting that kit. What offline app map do you use? It seems pretty bizarre that they included gps in a wifi only device. Does anyone know why? Hold the conspiracy theories please I already thought of a couple myself. ^^

I am using CoPilot Live Premium. Works perfectly for my needs. I know the dash might look a little cluttered but it really doesn't look too bad (will take a wider view picture). I now spend a lot of time driving long distance and this has been a perfect addition. Can't believe the iPad Mini doesn't have full GPS (although I don't really know what assisted GPS is to be fair) but at nearly half the price, I absolutely love my N7.

Updated with a pic showing a wider view of the dash.

DSC07261.jpg

Last edited:

-BA-

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Why is it bizarre? With an offline nav app, it works flawlessly. I don't see your point...

I think he means because it is quite uncommon for GPS to be included in non-cellular devices. Considering the wifi-only iPad mini has no GPS at all, I think it is a bargain to see it in the N7. Having read up on A-GPS, it seems that it is an improved GPS that locks onto the satellites quicker, so I was wrong about it being inferior (just absent from the mini wifi).

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Are there any limitations in the N7 GPS capabilities that would not make it nearly as good as your average stand-alone GPS unit, given the right app (TBD)?
IMO the biggest limitation is GLARE, when using the N7 in daylight it is very hard to read the screen compared to my Garmin 2460, at night I usually reach for the N7 and on long daytime trips I prefer my 5" Garmin

Sent from planet earth