Can't use Google Play credit for the purchase of devices???

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if this has been covered. I searched but didn't see any recent posts on the issue.

Today is my sons Birthday. We had all his relatives give him Google Play cards because he wants a tablet. He has enough credit for the tablet. When we went on-line to buy it we found out that even though the tablet is sold in the Google Play store, you can't use Google Play credit to buy it. I spoke to a representative who told me to look at the back of the card, which I did and they than admitted the restriction is not there. They said to look at the terms online, which we did and they admitted the restriction is also not there. They then rested on the argument that only "eligible" items are allowed and since they don't let you buy the tablet, it is, by definition, ineligible.

They were not very helpful when I called (for what it's worth, I tend to be very polite on the phone so even though I was annoyed I was not acting like a jerk). I spoke to a supervisor who wasn't able to do anything and said he would send an email on my behalf, but he didn't sound very hopeful.

I'm amazed that I can't use Google Play credit to buy an item in the Goggle Play store. Now I'm sitting with over $100 in credit that I don't want.

I have always been a big android supporter. Phones, tablets, etc, but in my opinion this restriction is really unfair and not well spelled out.

As a side note, now I didn't get the tablet on-line and am considering buying it at Gamestop. Any negatives/positive to purchasing there vs online?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Google clearly mentioned that on the google play gift card terms and condition right from the start Gift cards & Google Play balance - Google Play Help

Google Play gift cards cannot be redeemed for Android app subscriptions, magazine subscriptions, or hardware and accessory purchases. Refer to the Google Play Gift Card Terms and Conditions for more details. Content subject to availability by country.

Google Play ? Google

you might want to talk to support to make an exception. sorry to hear this happened.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
As a side note, now I didn't get the tablet on-line and am considering buying it at Gamestop. Any negatives/positive to purchasing there vs online?

I haven't had to use warranty service, but, if you buy it from Google, then Google will take care of any warranty needs (screen lift, etc...). If you buy it anywhere other than from Google, then you need to get warranty work directly from ASUS. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing. :)

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure I agree that it is clearly mentioned. This is in the help section and at first draws a confusing distinction between play cards (what you buy at the store) and play credit (what you turn the card into). Besides the confusion, the bigger (biggest) problem is that the restriction is not mentioned anywhere on the card you buy, or on the terms and conditions page (which the help this page actually also refers you too). The terms and conditions should be on the conditions page.

When I spoke with the Google supervisor, I asked how often this happens and he acknowledged it is a recurring problem. Besides the fact that the restriction makes no sense (why wouldn't you be able to buy an item in the Play Store with Play Store gift cards?), and is not one that someone would anticipate, the main problem remains that iit is not disclosed when you buy the card or even when you redeem it. You first find out you can't use the card when you try to click on the method of payment. Every interaction I've had with Google has been positive. This one really surprised me.

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
if you buy it from Google, then Google will take care of any warranty needs (screen lift, etc...). If you buy it anywhere other than from Google, then you need to get warranty work directly from ASUS

I think that's a good enough reason to buy it directly from Google instead of Gamestop. Right now, I'm just in a holding pattern to see if they will do anything about all this credit.

Matt OLeary

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, except I received $350 in play store gift cards for Christmas, instead of a Nexus 4. I've been waiting patiently, and yesterday when it finally showed available, "Unsupported payment method" for the $350 in google play store credits I now have. The gift cards you purchase at the store cannot be returned, even if they weren't already activated, and the terms on the cards simply says "for use on eligible items in Google Play Store" - how's that for clear? (Also, when's the last time you read gift card terms before purchasing?). So, now after multiple calls to them, I'm told nothing can be done, this is "clearly marked on the website", and I can't get my money back or have it applied to the purchase I made with my credit card for the Nexus 4 (which has already shipped). Maybe Google should get out of the device business if this is how they're going to treat customers.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry some people had a bad experience but one of the first things I noticed when I got the $25 credit for buying a Nexus 7 this Summer was the restriction it can't be used for hardware.

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry some people had a bad experience but one of the first things I noticed when I got the $25 credit for buying a Nexus 7 this Summer was the restriction it can't be used for hardware.

There is a difference between a conditional credit and the purchase of a gift card that doesn't detail the terms and conditions on the card OR the terms and conditions page.

I have now spoke with two "managers" at Google who acknowledged that this is a recurring problem, but that they can't help me. I also received an email that stated "we are working to improve this part of the Google Play store" but offered no solution.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
There is a difference between a conditional credit and the purchase of a gift card that doesn't detail the terms and conditions on the card OR the terms and conditions page. .
I looked at a Google Play card last night.
It says it's good for music. It says it's good for movies. It says it's good for books. It says it's good for apps.
It doesn't say it's good for tablets. It doesn't say it's good for phones. It doesn't say it's good for retail payments via NFC.

I'm sorry some people had a bad experience but the hardware exclusion was one of the first things I noticed when I got the $25 credit.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It says it's good for music. It says it's good for movies. It says it's good for books. It says it's good for apps.
It doesn't say it's good for tablets. It doesn't say it's good for phones. It doesn't say it's good for retail payments via NFC.

I'm sorry some people had a bad experience but the hardware exclusion was one of the first things I noticed when I got the $25 credit.

Is it good for magazines? The Google play app makes a clear distinction between books and magazines. Is the exclusion an over sight or you can't buy magazines?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I would continue to escalate your concern until you find some one who is willing to reimburse you for the amount of the cards.

Is there any chance that the folks who purchased the gift cards may still have the receipts?

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
It says it's good for music. It says it's good for movies. It says it's good for books. It says it's good for apps. .

Actually, it says it's good for "music, movies, books, Android apps and more on Google Play" It really is quite deceptive.
And again, the $25 credit you got must not have been a google play card. You could not have noticed a hardware exception on the play card because it's not listed there.

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I was curious if online was different so I went to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../https://play.google.com/store&token=XU5ALj0H
Clicked on the "Buy Gift Card" link and that took me to Google Play ? Google
Where I see "Google Play gift cards cannot be redeemed for Android app subscriptions, magazine subscriptions, or hardware and accessory purchases."

You are correct. Online is different. You can't buy a Google Play card directly from the Google Play store (you can buy Google Play credit). Instead they let you put in your zip code to find a store that sells the card, or they give you option of being directed to Target or Walmart. This is a page were they do list the exclusion. However, as I stated before, if you walk into Target or Walmart (which my relatives did) there is absolutely no way of knowing that you can't buy the Tablet on Google Play with a Google Play card. Worse, if you aren;t sure and you look at the back of the card you are directed to the "terms and privacy policy" whihc contains the terms and which also does not say hardware is restricted!

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I would continue to escalate your concern until you find some one who is willing to reimburse you for the amount of the cards.

Is there any chance that the folks who purchased the gift cards may still have the receipts?

They do have the receipts, but since we redeemed them onto my account they (understandably) can't help us. We have received another $100 in Play Credit (late present!) that is NOT unredeemed and will return that or sell it on Ebay.

I did escalate the issue and the people I spoke to at Google admitted it is, at the very least, confusing. They are in the process of transferring the $55 credit I redeemed from my account to my sons. This would help alleviate some of the problem in that I don't spend a lot on apps and music and he (being a kid) is much more likely (pretty much guaranteed) to find a better use for the credit.

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Good luck. I don't think you can buy a device with iTunes store gift cards either. Content only.

You are correct. However, you can't buy a device from iTunes at all. You can buy a device from the Play Store, which is why people think you can use the Play Store gift cards on the item in the Play Store.

I'm still waiting for their final approval, but hopefully they will do the right thing. Either way, we are just talking about $100 in credit overall ($50 of which I can always resell if need be) so the world wont come to an end over it. It's just annoying how it played out.

If I could write the final chapter of this problem, I would really like them to add the restriction on the back of the card. That would help prevent this problem from occuring down the line with other people.

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
As an update- Google transferred the credit from my account to my son's account. Not the perfect resolution but at least there was a resolution. He's thrilled and he loves the Nexus 7.

Matt OLeary

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
My resolution for the $350 credit I have in my play account has been one email, a survey on how my call with customer service went. So, I guess I'm stuck with $350 in play store credit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca