Questions re Asus Google Nexus 7 from prospective newby

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm planning on buying the Asus Google Nexus 7 tablet - probably the version with 3g SIM card slot..
It will be my first tablet, so I've read loads online and have a few questions please.

1) Can I load a microsoft excel spreadsheet onto it, edit it and save it.
That's a ".xls" file, rather than a google drive ".gsheet" which I assume is fully compatible.

2) Is it easy and fluid to use the inbuilt (screen) keyboard for entering in data to either web page forms or the above spreadsheets?

It must be tedious to
i) enter data on the keyboard
ii) tap back onto the web page to navigate to the next field
iii) retrieve keyboard to enter next field
iv) back to step i) ...etc
or is it much easier in practice?

3) Keyboard in landscape mode

I generally dislike small keyboards especially the non-qwerty hit 'a' 3 times for letter 'c'.
So, 7 inches in landscape mode will be a reasonable sized qwerty keyboard.
A review I read implied v4.2 software is required for the keyboard to be used in landscape mode.
Is this true?

4) Copying files to/from nexus and pc.
If I have understood theads here correct, for the nexus 7 unmodified (not rooted) a USB memory stick may be used via a OSG cable for nexus to 'read' data, but not to 'write' to it.
So nexus can't edit files on USB or copy other files to it?
However, via the OSG/USB cable, files can be copied both ways between PC and Nexus, without the nexus having to be routed.

Is above correct and is there a way to connect ADSL cable for
i) quicker file copying from windows network
ii) ability to use nexus (via adsl router) when wifi hot spot is not available

5) A full size keyboard with USB can be connected and used via a OSG cable convertor. Correct?

6) I gather it can be used as a GPS, showing location on a map, but can not give navigational instructions without being in a wifi area and/or using 3g network. In other words, if you plan on walking through a forest, can you download the area map before travel, then use it for:
i) identifying current position
ii) receiving instructions on which way to travel.
I'm guessing it will do i) without any web connection, but not ii)

6) Apart from Argos, are you aware of any other reputable retailers (shop or online) that has the 3g version?
I'm in the UK (Bedfordshire).

TIA

Dave

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dave

I don't have all the answers but will answer some questions while you wait for someone smarter to come along. :D

1) I don't think MS has ported their Office suite to Android but the free KingSoft works OK, given a 7" tablet is not a 17" laptop computer.

2) It depends. I don't mind it for emails and such, but I wouldn't want to write a research paper on it. Or do complex spreadsheets for that matter.

3) I got the pushed update months ago, but think the on-screen keyboard worked in landscape from the start. The typing experience for me is somewhere between a small net book and a smart phone but YMMV.

4) In practice I find it's easiest to transfer files through Google docs, Dropbox, or email attachments. I do have an OTG adapter and it works fine pulling files from a USB stick, but yes it's read-only by default.

0) Embrace the cloud. :D :D

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
1. yes, using office suite apps. many free and paid available in playstore.
2. with swype keyboard in stock android 4.2 its even faster and easier for me. the predictions are 99.99% accurate

4. without root you can read from USB and copy from USB to Nexus 7. writing and copying a file to USB wont work
with root there is not write/copying restrictions. everything works
i) any file manager can do that
5. Yes.

6. yes, you are right about all the points you mentioned in point 6. these restrictions are only for google maps
there are GPS apps in playstore which dont have this restrictions and work like normal GPS.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
1) Can I load a microsoft excel spreadsheet onto it, edit it and save it.

Yes, there are a number of "MS Office" equivalent apps with good reviews and a large installed user base. Kingsoft Office is the one I use

2) Is it easy and fluid to use the inbuilt (screen) keyboard for entering in data to either web page forms or the above spreadsheets?

I use a full size USB keyboard and mouse without any issues. You will need an OTG adapter and a (powered) hub and can also simultaneously use a flash drive for external storage. I also have a keyboard case I can use while on the road but I prefer my 'docking station' setup

3) Keyboard in landscape mode Is this true?

No. The built in keyboard has always worked in landscape or portrait in previous jelly bean versions since I purchased my N7 in October

4) Copying files to/from nexus and pc.

there are more ways to xfer files back and forth between a N7 and desktop than you can shake a stick at
plug usb cable that comes with the N7 works fine and is probably the fastest method of transfer other than microUSB to Ethernet Adapter but that requires a $15 purchase for the adapter.
you can also use WiFi with a wide range of app like AirDroid, Media Servers etc or via USB flash drive with sneakernet
USB flash memory:
unrooted = read only on N7 and all data is piped thru Nexus Media Importer -- works ONLY with media files
rooted = read write as normal and can store/run some apps from the external storage

5) see number 2

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank-you for your comprehensive replies Unicorn Rancher, Still1 and Bigtroutz.

Unicorn Rancher and Bigtroutz:
Is Kingsoft used here as an interface to the xls docs or are you saying the spreadsheets would need to be copied over to a Kingsoft version of a spreadsheet?
I like excel (as .xls) and would wish to keep this.

Still1, please can you clarify:
Other software available to which can read/write to xls without having to convert the .xls s/s to another format.Yes?

A few follow up questions please:
Can it be 'rooted' at a later date without too much hassle?
(e.g. having to re-do profile settings and re-download apps)
Or does to pay to go through this headache immediately after purchase?

I called the google store yesterday to pose pre-purchase questions.
Despite the UK number, a girl with an U.S. accent answered and with her obvious lack of knowledge of even the basics and the time lag between question and reply I had to end the call without getting any useful response.

I wouldn't want to order the tablet from them as their customer service dept is useless and I wouldn't have any confidence in being able to return it to them in case of failure etc.

Since yesterday the last 3g version has gone from my local argos and nearest in stock is 60 miles away.
'Three' sell them on contract, but wish to buy one.

RETAILER?:
Does anyone else know of reputable retailers of the 3g version, or am in for a longish drive?

TIA

Dave.
Typed with use of pocket size 24" monitor.*
*Just need the special trousers with extra large pockets. ;-)

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank-you for your comprehensive replies Unicorn Rancher, Still1 and Bigtroutz.

Unicorn Rancher and Bigtroutz:
Is Kingsoft used here as an interface to the xls docs or are you saying the spreadsheets would need to be copied over to a Kingsoft version of a spreadsheet?
I like excel (as .xls) and would wish to keep this.

Other software available to which can read/write to xls without having to convert the .xls s/s to another format.Yes?

I am not sure what you are asking but you can read, edit and save standard Excel xls spreadsheets, Word Docs, etc or create compatible ones just as you would in Excel and Word without any need to convert. All you need to do is transfer the files so Kingsoft can see them. Kingsoft has a pretty full featured file management system as well, so it can shift files around, rename, etc as you like.

xls and doc files are fine and work fine to or from Kingtsoft and Office. Use one on your desktop and the other on your ANdroid, but they work pretty much the same and with the same files without conversion required.

programming being what it is and herding cats is not easy but i would expect sophisticated macro functions to have issues between the two but for basic spreadsheet or document editing, the applications are interchangable.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Other software available to which can read/write to xls without having to convert the .xls s/s to another format.Yes? YES

I called the google store yesterday to pose pre-purchase questions.
Despite the UK number, a girl with an U.S. accent answered and with her obvious lack of knowledge of even the basics and the time lag between question and reply I had to end the call without getting any useful response. When you can get answer here in AC why care support

A few follow up questions please:
Can it be 'rooted' at a later date without too much hassle?
(e.g. having to re-do profile settings and re-download apps)
Or does to pay to go through this headache immediately after purchase?

if you unlock the bootloader as soon as you get the device you can root it later with no hassle.
thats what i did when i got my Nexus 4 and Nexus 10. i unlocked the bootloader for both device. I rooted it later after using it for 2 weeks.
but if you dont unlock bootloader you have to do some extra work later and it is painful.

Last edited:

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank-you Bigtroutz for your swift reply. Fully understood.
I wasted alot of time yesterday between a google spread sheet and excel version of same document (e.g. builtin functions work different - or not at all) so wish to avoid this headache if possible.
'Herding cats' isn't something I've heard of before but sounds fun.

Best wishes.
Dave.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank-you Bigtroutz for your swift reply. Fully understood.
I wasted alot of time yesterday between a google spread sheet and excel version of same document (e.g. builtin functions work different - or not at all) so wish to avoid this headache if possible.
'Herding cats' isn't something I've heard of before but sounds fun.

Best wishes.
Dave.

herding_cats_mousepad.jpg

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just to be clear on one thing though, I'd never rely on the nexus 7 as a heavy document creation machine. It does fine in a pinch, and light creation/edition will be fine. But I'd never want to crunch a ton of numbers in a big spreadsheet on it or write a research paper entirely on it, even with a separate hardware keyboard.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear on one thing though, I'd never rely on the nexus 7 as a heavy document creation machine. It does fine in a pinch, and light creation/edition will be fine. But I'd never want to crunch a ton of numbers in a big spreadsheet on it or write a research paper entirely on it, even with a separate hardware keyboard.
+1 I really like my Nexus 7 but I wouldn't want it to be a laptop replacement, much less as desktop replacement.

It is, however, great for watching the EDS "Cat Herding" commercial. :D :D EDS, an HP Company 'Cat Herders' - YouTube

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank-you Wunderbar and Unicorn rancher - comments noted on not for intensive use.
In my case it would be more of a stop gap when away from home/office.

When every last one of the cats are herded into town, I hate to think what happens next. :-(

Diknak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Your questions were answered well, but I just wanted to mention/reinforce a couple of things.

1) As mentioned, there are paid and free apps to modify Office documents. The general rule is if you want to read documents, they are free, but if you want to edit them, they cost $.

2) Embrace the cloud. Your many questions on file transfer hurts my head; you are making it way more complicated than it needs to be. Checkout dropbox and enjoy the simplification. Download it for your desktop and tablet and you are set.

3) Tablets are amazing at consuming content but not at creating content. This goes for web forms, excel sheets, etc. You won't have the convenience of TAB and SHIFT+TAB to navigate between fields. It takes longer to ALT+TAB between apps. It takes longer to copy content on a page onto the clipboard. If you are dealing with a drop down, you can't hit a letter to jump in the list. So yes, it is not nearly as easy to complete a web form as it is on a computer.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You won't have the convenience of TAB and SHIFT+TAB to navigate between fields. It takes longer to ALT+TAB between apps.

Huh? you can easily enable an internal keyboard with TAB and SHIFT keys or connect a standard windows keyboard and mouse with an OTG adapter and perhaps a hub. The rest of that crap debatable - or did you not mean what you say about that leaving apps open so that you may switch between them with recently used app key and amazing intelligent memory management Android OS ?

The N7 is generally much faster at doing it's chores than the human directing it. You may be the fastest automaton on the planet but I generally spend more time drooling, staring off into space and scratching my ass then actually generating input over long periods.

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Your questions were answered well, but I just wanted to mention/reinforce a couple of things.

1) As mentioned, there are paid and free apps to modify Office documents. The general rule is if you want to read documents, they are free, but if you want to edit them, they cost $.

2) Embrace the cloud. Your many questions on file transfer hurts my head; you are making it way more complicated than it needs to be. Checkout dropbox and enjoy the simplification. Download it for your desktop and tablet and you are set.

3) Tablets are amazing at consuming content but not at creating content. This goes for web forms, excel sheets, etc. You won't have the convenience of TAB and SHIFT+TAB to navigate between fields. It takes longer to ALT+TAB between apps. It takes longer to copy content on a page onto the clipboard. If you are dealing with a drop down, you can't hit a letter to jump in the list. So yes, it is not nearly as easy to complete a web form as it is on a computer.
Thank-you fo your feedback Diknak.
1) I will bear in mind but I am generally averse to paying for software more than once (having paid to use it on pc), but don't doubt what you say is true - so noted.
2) I have dropbox already as a place for sharing files with third parties. I prefer to have one consildated place for files with other places (laptop,USB stick etc) having copies or subsets. I'd rather copy from A to B on my desk, quickly with a piece of wire, rather than bounce of internet, which may also incur dditional charges from broadband supplier.
But horses for courses, I know the cloud has advantages for others.
3) Thank-you. I suspected this, but keyboards are light and I have a few spare. Solution may be the N10 etc for ease of use, but that means it's a bit big for the jacket pocket.
With cameras I find in practice my 'compact' is better than my higher quality SLR and lenses, for the simple fact the compact is likely to slip into the pocket rather than have a rucksac. Ditto with Nexus/tablets./laptops etc.

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It seems the 3G model is in short supply.
Today I had to drive for 1 hour to one of the last argos stores that have them.
I was told the 30 day return doesn't apply on this (but read on a web review that that is a good reason for buying this from argos).
If it doesn't work though.. that's another matter and I assume that's what the reviewer meant.
After returning home with it.. full of excitement, I find that although my laptop will connect wirelessly to a neighboring wi-fi connection (I don't have wifi myself), my N7 doesn't seem to want to. In short, I think that although the laptop is happy with the signal strength, the Nexus isn't.
Without this I can't procede to use it for anything, not even a settings screen,(as mentioned on thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...rum/191717-cant-activate-without-wi-fi-2.html

I tried a USB connection, thinking it would recognise the network for updating itself etc, but although pc recognised the hardware, it doesn't enable me to complete set-up.

So, I've ordered myself a wireless transmitter (takes 5 days to arrive) and guess I'll have to drive somewhere from my rural location in the interim to get a connection so I can get it going.
Set up may work from the 3g sim.. but as I've only just bought it I haven't got a SIM yet.

I've ordered an OSG USB cable and pack of 3 screen protectors from Amazon.

Dave R Smith

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
After trying several wifi hotspots today, then calling google it seems my brand new 1 day old N7 is knackered.
It wouldn't respond to the 'factory reset' 3 button press, so I've now returned it to a local argos - but there is no SIM version to replace it in any store it seems, so (after refund) went to Currys for a non SIM version...currently charging.