Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bronnyl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Contacts Won't Sync With Email or Gmail apps

Hi Everyone,
    Hope someone can help me - I'm a relative newbie having just bought my Nexus 7 a month ago.

My problem is that while I have imported my Google contacts successfully into the People app, I can't get it to sync with either the Email or Gmail apps. So when composing an email, when I type in a few letters of a recipient's name, nothing comes up. In the People app when I touch the email address, I only get a 'copy to clipboard' option.

Any help would be appreciated - I think I've got all the settings right....

Thanks
    Bron

Default Re: Google Contacts Won't Sync With Email or Gmail apps

settings-google-[ur email]-uncheck and check contacts. make sure to have internet first

open people app. reboot. open gmail. press refresh and try again
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for that - didn't work though, unfortunately.
    Just thinking - could this be because I have my ISP account in the Email app as well as my Gmail account?

Bron

Quote Originally Posted by Bronnyl View Post
    Thanks for that - didn't work though, unfortunately.
    Just thinking - could this be because I have my ISP account in the Email app as well as my Gmail account?

Bron
    gmail app uses gmail contacts!! Your ISP email uses the contacts it has! people app(although it is synced with Google contacts) has nothing to do with gmail/ISP email contacts.
    not showing contact is just weird. doesn't work that way.
    Thanked by:

In the People app, check to see what account your contacts are linked with. In order for them to sync with Gmail, they need to be Google contacts. Select any contact and edit it. It should say at the top of the screen if it's a Google contact or not.

If your contacts aren't associated with your Google account, I suggest reimporting your contacts into your Gmail account using the web version on your desktop. Then your contacts will sync with your phone, and hopefully your phone will recognize then when you start typing them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yep they are associated with my Google account. I'll try reimporting them.
    Thanks for your help.

also, go here and see if you can see all your contacts here(to verify)
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Yes they are all there.
    Reloaded them and it's still not working - looks like i might have to add them manually every time I email - that or just not use the tablet for composing new emails
    Thanks for help anyway, everyone.

It ought to work. Have you tried rebooting your device?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Yes, a couple of times....just notice that someone else had the same issue, she posted the question to a Google forum. Don't think she found a solution though.

Go to Settings/Accounts-Google, then tap on your Google account, and see if "Contacts" is checked for syncing. On another forum, someone mentioned that Gmail wouldn't give contact suggestions until he made sure Contacts were syncing.

Someone else in another thread had a similar problem. what they did to fix it was export all the contacts out of gmail, delete the contacts, then re-import the contacts into gmail. Everything started working after that.

Good idea, but instead of exporting the contacts, it's easier to try this, if all of your contacts are stored in your Google account:

1. Go to Settings/Apps/All, select Contacts Storage.

2. Clear data.

3. Go to Settings/Accounts-Google, tap your Google account, then tap Contacts to resync your contacts from your Google account.

4. Your Contacts should now be restored. Try again to see if the recipient field populates when you start typing.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Hello all, sorry I haven't been back - my tablet was stolen in a house invasion two months ago. I've now got my replacement....
    I really hoped this would work on this new one - but it doesn't. Still have the same problem with syncing contacts to either Email or Gmail.
    I've tried all your suggestions - thanks for that.
    I'll just keep experimenting I guess - I must be doing something wrong. Thanks for all your help.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Right - have worked out what it is. The fields didn't map properly when I exported them from Thunderbird (I have a Mac) into Google and then tried to sync with the Nexus email programs. I've tried to rename the fields on the vcf file but no go, so it's manual modification I have to do. But at least I know what it is now and can get it working. Thanks again.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.