Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Levolent com
  • 1 Post By Diknak
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By Levolent com
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default New owner, couple nitpicks about the Jellybean

It keeps putting an icon on the top bar, and when I drag it down it says "select keyboard layout". Well no matter how many times I tell it English and select the layout it still stays there. Tried a few google terms but didn't see anyone with this issue...

Also, is there a way to close programs by default? When I hit the multitask (furthest right) button, I get a list of active processes basically its the multitasking manager or so it seems. Then I hit "force stop" and it appears to work, but they don't disappear from the list and seem to continually run in the background. If I WANT to multitask I can use the home button or multitask button to open new programs, but want to keep the BACK button as force stop/close that actually works.
    TomsAndroid likes this.

Default Re: New owner, couple nitpicks about the Jellybean

I may not be correct on this, but it sounds like you're referring to the notification that allows you to select your input methods? If so, in my experience it only appears while a keyboard is in the foreground (i.e. while you're typing) in order to let you change to alternate keyboards or to let you change settings for the currently active keyboard. Is this what you're referring to?

As for closing programs, you should keep in mind that Android performs intelligent memory management on all running applications, whether they be foreground or background processes. You should not need to force close any applications unless you are experiencing problems with said applications. Using the Recent Apps list (the multitasking view brought up with that furthest right button) to swipe applications away to the left or right will, when appropriate, stop that application. It will not, however, stop background processes or other events/threads related to that application which are intended to continue running. The Recent Apps view provides a means of informing the system that you're done with an application. You can test this with some applications; opening them from the homescreen using the Recent Apps list will return to the application exactly as you left it, while swiping it away and re-opening it from the launcher will result in a fresh instance of the application.

Many custom ROMs provide the option to turn a long-press of the back button into a force close of the application in the foreground. Perhaps this is more along the lines of what you're looking for?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
    It keeps putting an icon on the top bar, and when I drag it down it says "select keyboard layout". Well no matter how many times I tell it English and select the layout it still stays there. Tried a few google terms but didn't see anyone with this issue...

Also, is there a way to close programs by default? When I hit the multitask (furthest right) button, I get a list of active processes basically its the multitasking manager or so it seems. Then I hit "force stop" and it appears to work, but they don't disappear from the list and seem to continually run in the background. If I WANT to multitask I can use the home button or multitask button to open new programs, but want to keep the BACK button as force stop/close that actually works.
    There ARE a couple of things you can do about unwanted background processes and other battery leeching, poorly behaved apps. First and foremost is to uninstall the worst offenders and select apps with an ACTUAL CLOSE/QUIT button that you can use to cease it's operation when you are truly done with it.

Second, you can disable unused incuded google apps like 'Currents" by clicking the apps > all apps > Currents > Disable but some apps are needed for normal operation of your tab so take care.

Third, you can use an app task killer.like PowerTask Manager that will smash long idle open apps with one button push when you want to. While I agree that it can be useful to let the OS take care of memory management, there is no point in keeping apps open that you don't intend to use in the near future. Your intelligence likely beats that of a OS program most of the time since you can plan ahead and the OS can not.

About your keyboard thing - take a look at the recent TIP by mathelm with screen shots on selecting alternate keyboards to see there is alot more to the included keyboards than simply selecting a language. You may find something there that will help.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ml#post2555166
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
    When I hit the multitask (furthest right) button, I get a list of active processes basically its the multitasking manager or so it seems.
    No, you get a list of "recent" apps. They may or may not still be resident in memory...

Do not think of open apps like they are in Windows.

When an app loses focus, it is no longer consuming CPU cycles (unless there is a service running like downloading something or playing music, etc). To see what I mean, go to a webpage that has an embedded video, and start the video. Now hit the home key. You will notice that the audio stops. This is because Android is not true multitasking like you have in Windows. When an app loses focus, it no longer has permission from Android to operate; it essentially gets frozen in time.

In Windows, having nearly full memory is a bad thing. In Android, having nearly full memory is a good thing. You are not losing anything if apps are loaded into RAM because, while they may be consuming your RAM, they are not consuming your clock cycles (battery life). If you are running an app that needs more memory, like a game, Android will remove apps from memory for you.

Starting in Android 2.2, users no longer need to manage memory and kill apps. You should only be killing apps if they are misbehaving.

In fact, if you use an automatic task killer, you may actually REDUCE your battery life. Android will automatically load apps into the background, even if you don't open them again after killing them. Try it for yourself. Get a killer and kill everything. Then keep the device on and maybe surf the web or something. 30 minutes later, check the app list and you will see apps that you haven't even opened since you killed everything. This is because Android is trying to fill the memory to make the device more responsive.
    Ry likes this.

Diknak, sorry, but too much bull and not enuf fact and that last sentence is a complete crock. Android isn't trying to fill memory to make the device more responsive. Rather it is loading crapware to serve advertising, perform background data syncing and a host of other unnecessary and 'unauthorized' cpu and battery leeching operations that frequently interfere with optimal operation of foreground operations which is why your N7 is unresponsive at times. It is no wonder that so many complain about poor performance when so many poorly behaved apps pig up the CPU and i/o with operations that the user does not initiate nor would allow if they knew they were going to start, especially when you consider, as Diknik correctly points out, Android handles multitasking so poorly.

Furthermore, leaving apps open that you will never use in the foreseeable future simply consumes the-CPU-cycles-needed-to-'UNLOAD'-them at some future point instead of when you are done with them and therefore saves absolutely NOTHING in battery or CPU usage. Six of one and half a dozen of the other are equal no matter how much you bleat about how amazing the intelligent mem mgr of Android is. Like any other artificial intelligence operation (an oxymoron in any case since an ANT has more intelligence than the most sophisticated AI in existence), the operation is only as good as the logic matrix woven into the code by the fallible human and the limitations of the code and hardware.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Keyboard notification finally went away (mysteriously and on its own) but there are two others now that won't go away. I can't figure out how to dismiss these without disabling notifications for the apps entirely which I don't want to do. I read online that swiping to the left or right should dismiss them, but all this does is spring it to the side a bit then pop right back.

I think this article from a couple of years back from our very own Jerry Hildebrand is worth a read in regards to memory management and task killers. Although it's a little old, I think it's still very much relevant:

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    Ry likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I think this article from a couple of years back from our very own Jerry Hildebrand is worth a read in regards to memory management and task killers. Although it's a little old, I think it's still very much relevant:

RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    Thanks but I've kind of moved on from that portion of this topic because I hadn't realized it is simply a list of recent apps and not necessarily even running.

I do however still need help with the other portion of the OP.
    Keyboard notification finally went away (mysteriously and on its own) but there are two others now that won't go away. I can't figure out how to dismiss these without disabling notifications for the apps entirely which I don't want to do. I read online that swiping to the left or right should dismiss them, but all this does is spring it to the side a bit then pop right back.

Sorry, the link I posted was more related to the posts by Diknak and bigtroutz.

As to your concern, can you tell us what the two other notifications are that won't go away? What are they notifying you about?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Sorry, the link I posted was more related to the posts by Diknak and bigtroutz.

As to your concern, can you tell us what the two other notifications are that won't go away? What are they notifying you about?
    They are for Skype and Utorrent. Just says Skype Online, and Utorrent Running. Now I have another, for Steam. Just says Steam Online. These are definitely annoying... if I want to run a program I'll use the multitask key or run it from the home page shortcut. The only thing I need in the notification area is HackerKeyboard for those times when the keyboard disappears and you want to force it up.

Check the settings for all of those apps. Apps will often give you the option to show or hide their presence in the notification bar (which is not the same as turning off notifications).
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

[SOLVED]

Thanks, they both had strange names and not the same as each other but thanks to your advice I looked a little harder.
    B. Diddy likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Ok not solved apparently. After installing Swiftkey 3 trial and using my blutooth keyboard I still get a bunch of different keyboard notifications. I don't know why but these are very annoying to me so if someone could help me get rid of them I would be grateful! If I need to change my keyboard input I can go to settings or heck this kb app I think even puts a button for that on the keyboard, so these notification spams are TOTALLY unecessary. If I don't want to use the blutooth kb I can just turn off blutooth or hit the off switch on the kb itself. I want the notification area 100% clean except for important, action required now type stuff!

To be clear are you talking about the keyboard icon in the status bar when you have a keyboard open? As mentioned before I think that is necessary so you can change keyboards in the middle of typing if necessary.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    To be clear are you talking about the keyboard icon in the status bar when you have a keyboard open? As mentioned before I think that is necessary so you can change keyboards in the middle of typing if necessary.
    What if I only use one keyboard and have no plans of switching?

You didn't answer my question but if that is what you're talking about I'm pretty sure you can't get rid of it.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    You didn't answer my question but if that is what you're talking about I'm pretty sure you can't get rid of it.
    Yes that's the one still there. At first there were 2, 1 saying to select a layout but I fixed that by unchecking all the layouts except one.