Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nexus 7 second as cell phone?

Ok I have seen this thread on here previously, but it did not seem to answer my question. Maybe because I have not used Google Voice or ever own a tablet. So here is my question/dilema.

I would like to A) get rid of verizon, it sucks.
    I would like to purchase a tablet
    But I would like the to know if there is tablet that can double as a phone. Specifically, I can recieve and make phone calls and I can recieve and send text messages. I would like to be able to do this without always having to find some WiFi to connect to and I AM willing to pay a data fee to have this done. I would like to not be stuck in a contract also.

I really rather not carry around a phone and tablet. If I can get a device that works as both, it would help me tremendously organize.

Also, is a Nexus 7 a good tablet for work? Holding files answering emails etc.

Thanks in advance
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Nexus 7 second as cell phone?

Any ideas? I'm really surprised this isn't a clear answer on the web or that tablets aren't already coming to the market as both phone and tablet in one. You would think this was simple and very marketable.

please help!
    Keyboard Warrior

Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you don't mind having no MMS, use Google Voice. To make calls with your Google Voice number, use Talkatone or GrooVe IP. I prefer GrooVe IP but it costs $5, whereas Talkatone is free.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

What is mms?

And how does google voice work? Is it like any other cellular device or do I need to be connected to WiFi?

Google voice is a subject all by itself. Here's the way I use it. I ported my old (17 year old) number to GV which cost $20 to do, but you can create a new number if you like for free (can even spell your name out if it's available). I then started using a cheap straight talk phone and had GV forward all calls to it (all this is free btw). GV handles everything plus sends me a transcript of any voice mail via text message and/or email....

After I got my Nexus 7 3g, I started using Talkatone, which works perfectly for phone and text. I havn't used the straight talk phone sense sometime back in December. I have not tried the 3g yet myself, but have read that it works fine with this setup....

Having said all that, the Nexus 7 is not a phone. If you use your phone a lot, you will not be happy with this setup. But whatever you do, nexus 7 or not, you should take advantage of google voice. It's a way to keep your number forever, and all the other free features make it just about the best thing since sliced bread...

Google voice is a voip service (like skype, but different) works over Wifi or 3G but if you're going to use a N7 as a full time phone you should have 3G on the tablet.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by mathelm View Post
    Google voice is a subject all by itself. Here's the way I use it. I ported my old (17 year old) number to GV which cost $20 to do, but you can create a new number if you like for free (can even spell your name out if it's available). I then started using a cheap straight talk phone and had GV forward all calls to it (all this is free btw). GV handles everything plus sends me a transcript of any voice mail via text message and/or email....

After I got my Nexus 7 3g, I started using Talkatone, which works perfectly for phone and text. I havn't used the straight talk phone sense sometime back in December. I have not tried the 3g yet myself, but have read that it works fine with this setup....

Having said all that, the Nexus 7 is not a phone. If you use your phone a lot, you will not be happy with this setup. But whatever you do, nexus 7 or not, you should take advantage of google voice. It's a way to keep your number forever, and all the other free features make it just about the best thing since sliced bread...
    Thanks great information. I will look into the Google Voice more. When you say I wont be happy as the Nexus as my phone, could you be more specific?

I was thinking of getting a basic phone next to the Nexus, but eventually hope that the Nexus could transition to my full time phone (was going to adapt a blue tooth headset along with it). But if the Nexus along with GV can all forward the calls from a basic phone I have not sure I like that idea.

If that is the case I might just put money into building a desktop instead and get a basic phone. I really rather not drop 500 on an SG3 if I could build a decent desktop at the same price and the SG3 screen isnt good to show hold presentations for work along with using it recreationally.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

The N7 is set-up to use 3G correct? Would I need to sign up for a 2-year contract or could I still do month to month using a tablet?

Appreciate all the help guys!

No reason to get into a contract if you bring your own device.

Quote Originally Posted by LeastServant View Post
    The N7 is set-up to use 3G correct? Would I need to sign up for a 2-year contract or could I still do month to month using a tablet?

Appreciate all the help guys!
    Just make sure you order the correct model of the N7. There are 3 on the market, only one is 3G capable. The aptly named 32GB Nexus 7 WiFi + Mobile Data

I utilize Groove IP for business and I use Google Voice in tandem.

Example: You call my business phone number and it rings my tablet first (when on Wifi) then my phone. It's like a warning that my phone is about to ring. If I cannot answer my phone (it's in another room, etc.) I can answer my tablet and help the customer. Also, if you contact me on my personal number it rings for a bit then forwards over to my tablet if I miss it.

It has been very helpful to me to be able to hook headphones up to my tablet and conduct business while on the "phone" there, instead of trying to speakerphone a client and utilize my phone browser.

I have had no issues with MMS being received to my Google Voice number. It comes as a text which I cannot view but also goes to my email address, where I am able to view it.

I've been looking for a simple answer to this and I find all very confusing, so I will re phrase the original question:
    Can I Stick the current sim card from my phone into this tablet and turn it to a cell phone?
    yes/no
    if yes, can you explain how?

To evacuate potential noise answers:
    1) I'm not planning to use any headset, Yes I will stick that thing into my ear to talk
    2) I do have a big pocket
    3) I want to toss my old phone to the garbage, so no redirect apps etc.

thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by pvpvpv View Post
    I've been looking for a simple answer to this and I find all very confusing, so I will re phrase the original question:
    Can I Stick the current sim card from my phone into this tablet and turn it to a cell phone?
    yes/no
    if yes, can you explain how?

To evacuate potential noise answers:
    1) I'm not planning to use any headset, Yes I will stick that thing into my ear to talk
    2) I do have a big pocket
    3) I want to toss my old phone to the garbage, so no redirect apps etc.

thanks in advance!
    NO - it does not have any cell phone hardware. You can get data via a cellphone account though - but that is still not the same as cellphone service. Consider it this way: Data = wifi = 3g/4g

It does not have a cell phone ear speaker - it does have a tablet speaker that you might be able to hear jsut fine as a speakerphone.

I think the biggest issue is that you will be relying on VOIP apps to handle phone calls. It will not be as reliable as regular cellphone hardware and it might eat a whole lot of battery waiting for calls. You can expect call drops and connectivity issues at various times.

That said, I only have used laptops and desktops with google voice as a pure phone replacement and it works great in that format - in fact better than cellphone service. But here, I get the benefit of cable internet and ultra fast dependable speeds upload and download, which is important for VOIP phone calls.

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    NO - it does not have any cell phone hardware. You can get data via a cellphone account though - but that is still not the same as cellphone service. Consider it this way: Data = wifi = 3g/4g

It does not have a cell phone ear speaker - it does have a tablet speaker that you might be able to hear jsut fine as a speakerphone.

I think the biggest issue is that you will be relying on VOIP apps to handle phone calls. It will not be as reliable as regular cellphone hardware and it might eat a whole lot of battery waiting for calls. You can expect call drops and connectivity issues at various times.

That said, I only have used laptops and desktops with google voice as a pure phone replacement and it works great in that format - in fact better than cellphone service. But here, I get the benefit of cable internet and ultra fast dependable speeds upload and download, which is important for VOIP phone calls.
    I made a call on my Nexus 7 through my WiFi a few days ago and was not impressed. The audio lagged and she had trouble on her end as well. It just wasn't a good call.

I used Groove IP. I used the built in speaker and mic. Maybe if I had a headset ready for the call it would have been better.

ROM
    Stock until 4.0.4 hits

Quote Originally Posted by LeastServant View Post
    What is mms?
    And how does google voice work? Is it like any other cellular device or do I need to be connected to WiFi?
    Others have addressed you google voice question...

SMS = Short Message Service = text only message
    MMS = Multimedia Message Service = picture, audio or video messages

I am currently using my 7 as a phone through a combination of Google voice and talkatone and, at least for my purposes, love it. Since I have access to wifi at work and home, I get by with the 14.99 data plan through AT&T. If I am not within range of wifi, I'm good for about 200 minutes of talk time. Sms uses virtually no data, so when I'm on the go, I can send an infinite amount of texts through 3g. There is one caveat - with such little data on my plan, I use android firewall to control which apps can access cellular data to control unwanted consumption of data.

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts

In Canada, there's a service / app called Fongo that works for free. They'll even set you up with a 'real' telephone number in the area code of your choice.

Free Mobile Phone Service

I recently read of a similar service for all of North America, but I can't recall - off the top of my head - its name - or even if it's available for Android.

it's called Google Voice....

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mat Helm View Post
    it's called Google Voice....
    Ah.

I've used Talkatone (via an iPhone) to access the Talk via Gmail > Chat (now called Google Voice and my calls show up in it's call history), but calls always showed a California area code to the receiver when doing this. I'm gathering there are are options (all free?), but I'm less convinced about having Google tied to all of my phone accounts, for example.

I rather like the idea of the stand-alone Fongo service instead.

i have a galaxy tab 7 plus AKA: galaxy p6200 it does everything. factory unlock i have used Sim cards from USA, MEXICO, and Argentina So far so good.