Are there any workarounds for the "your device is incompatible" message?

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to install my bank's mobile app but it says unsupported device. This is obviously bull since android is android is android. Works just fine on my piece of crap android phone running 2.2

edit: if I don't get any good answer here, I'll just download it on my phone and transfer the apk files.

Last edited:

Dubg

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
The reason it says the app is not compatible is because of the fact that there is no rear facing camera so it can't take a picture for deposits. I would think you could load the APK, but I don't know what would happen if you tried to use the deposit function if it would force close or what.

I'm sure that there are others that have gotten around this.

My bank's app doesn't seem to care about no camera.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. Your response raises more question than it provides answers.

If what you said is true why wouldn't you it just let me use the front camera? Also... What bank let's you make deposits with a picture? That would be pretty cool snap a picture of the check then throw it away!

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
you can't "force" google play to make an app compatible with the device. Side loading is your only option for getting an app onto the device if play says incompatible. Some apps that are marked as phone only work just fine on tablets, some don't. YMMV.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Lots of banks these days allow you to deposit checks by taking a picture of them. Bank of America does it, and so does Chase, I think. It'd be hard to use the front camera, because you'd still have to look at the screen to make sure you're centering the check correctly when you take the picture.

If you can find the .apk file of an app somewhere, you can always try to install it (with the caution that directly installing .apk files from random websites puts you at risk for malware). This is the case with NextIssue, the clunky magazine reader app, which technically wasn't available for my old Acer A500, but which I was able to install directly as an .apk file. If it really isn't compatible, it'll probably just force close on you.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Also... What bank let's you make deposits with a picture? That would be pretty cool snap a picture of the check then throw it away!

I can't provide a list of banks that do this, but most of the big banks offer mobile deposit using the camera on your phone. My bank is USAA and I have been making deposits with my mobile phone for a few years now. And yes, it is pretty cool.

From your phone I would use something like Astro to make a back-up of your banks app (apk) and then move the back-up app to Dropbox. Then launch Dropbox on your N7 and install the app. The bank app will probably work fine on your N7 as long as you don't attempt to make a mobile deposit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I use Compass and I don't think they have any way to deposit a check like that. They are about a year behind BoA technologically speaking, at least their ATMs that accept cash deposits and having it as instantly available funds were about a year after BoA.

I'll try making an astro backup of the APK from my phone, thanks.

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about that app specifically, but many times, if the Play store says an app is incompatible I try to install the same thing from the Amazon app store. Sometimes it will work when I download it from there.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Two options:
1) Download the app from a different store (make sure it's one you trust)
2) Download the APK on another android device and transfer it over to your tablet

Or you can just wait until it becomes compatible. No need to rush life =D

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
If rooted you could try changing the model on your build prop or a modified market which ignores those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
There is a secure site that will allow you d/l FREE sites. No paid apps are available. And you must remember that just because you can d/l, doesn't mean that it will work.

Over 300,000 free android apps direct downloads

Found a problem with the 1mobile market app. Seems at least sometimes the download button goes straight to the play store. I was unable to sideload PayPal Here because of this. What's the point of a 3rd party App market that links straight to the play store? No I don't want to see your ads for nothing thankyou very much. Also annoying that it keeps nagging me to update Maps 6.14.2 to *drumroll* 6.14.2 Obviously ploy to get me to use their modified Maps app for God knows what nefarious tracking purposes.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
You also have to have auto focus on the camera for mobile deposit. My chase bank app is not compatible with one of my devuces because it lacks focus on the rear camera.