what is this gps good for?

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
other than giving directions, can the gps be used in other apps, such as meeting people closeby, showing people where i am at at that moment, etc?

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have banking apps that will tell you the nearest branch location without needing to ask your current location. It will use the gps by default.

Weather apps will use to give you conditions at your current location.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Hoppy063

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It's used for all sorts of things the main thing is your location so apps can tell where you are e.g. Local tells you where loads of things are close by, IMDB will show local cinema's and so on. Very useful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
All these apps can also use your WiFi location. Though that isn't as accurate as GPS, it's close enough. And unless you have a 3G Nexus 7, you'll need to be hooked up to a WiFi signal for most of these apps to work anyway. And if you're using WiFi, then you're more likely inside than outside. And if you're inside, the GPS won't work, so you're stuck using WiFi for location anyway. In the end, though these other reasons for GPS use are valid, for a WiFi-only N7 they're a bit impractical under most circumstances. Yes, if you don't have WiFi available but still want to use GPS, you could tether the N7 to your phone. But if you have a phone capable of that, wouldn't you use the app on your phone instead?

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
so other than giving directions, what else is this gps in nexus good for?

lots of folks use the GPS logging apps to show where they have been and plan where they are going on walkabouts --- and GPS is global in reach while WiFi only works locally - close to a router source kinda device and not too many of those in the boonies....

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
what mjkerney wrote is kind of true, i have a real gps, it seems that it takes a long time to get a gps signal when i am inside. i have not tried it inside of many buildings, so i don't know if it is true for all gps.

so if that is true, does the gps in the nexus 7 get better signals inside buildings?

notdodgy

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I have used mine as a full satnav in the car, and on foot.
There are some satnav apps that do not need WiFi to work, even the standard maps app lets you download for offline use.
I have also successfully used mine tethered to a phone over WiFi.

I have heard that some people have built mounts in their cars, so they use it as satnav and for in car entertainment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae