Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MJKearney
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default are there any alternatives of nexus 7 out there?

i found one that is called ainol, it has two cameras, hdmi input, etc. but i am not sure if the pic quality will be good, if it will last for a long time, etc.

what is so unique about this nexus 7 that others don't have?

i still haven't decided which one that i want to buy.

thanks.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS/Cyanogenmod

Default Re: are there any alternatives of nexus 7 out there?

Hey Im new to the Nexus 7 Forums but honestly what you are getting with this tablet is more Software-centric and will keep you on the latest Android Versions for at least the Next 2 years, While looking up this ainol tablet it just seems like a typical Chinese copy, it really comes down to "You get what you pay for" as far as Support from Google and The Android Community from Forums (Like this one), be it on the Software side or Hardware. Hope any of that helps clear things up a little.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Im new to the Nexus 7 Forums but honestly what you are getting with this tablet is more Software-centric and will keep you on the latest Android Versions for at least the Next 2 years, While looking up this ainol tablet it just seems like a typical Chinese copy, it really comes down to "You get what you pay for" as far as Support from Google and The Android Community from Forums (Like this one), be it on the Software side or Hardware. Hope any of that helps clear things up a little.
    Thanked by:

There are no alternatives to the Nexus 7. Just buy it and you will understand.

I jest (a little, at least), but the N7 still provides the best bang for the buck, even seven months after its introduction. Yes, there are better or equal tablets out there with more ports and cameras, but not at the Nexus 7 price point, at least not today. By this summer, I'm sure things will have shifted a little bit, and waiting a few months might be your best alternative.

Stay away from the no name, less than $200 tablets, regardless of specs. And spend a little more for a known name with specs that are important to you. Therefore, if a decent rear camera is important to you, skip the N7 (for now - maybe a summer update will have it), and look for a tablet from a known manufacturer that offers this. It will cost more than the Nexus 7, but you'll be getting something of good quality that has the specs you want.
    Thanked by 2:
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

oh, yes, i am just wondering if i should wait for a while to see what google can offer for the next version, etc. now i think that i will wait a few more months.

those things always get cheaper and cheaper.

I'm not sure about the Nexus 7. I've been reading about all the hardware issues and I'm really thinking about getting a more durable tablet, like the Nook HD or Kindle Fire HD.

ROM
    Stock Android 4.4 KitKat

Asus FonePad? It is basically a Nexus 7 underneath and made by the same people (Asus) only it has an Intel chip and the ability to make phone calls over 3G.

Priced (very reasonably) at 179 I think it's a good buy! Ships with 16GB and a micro SD card slot (unlike the nexus) and has android 4.1 jelly bean out of the box.

http://uk.asus.com/Tablet/Fonepad/ASUS_Fonepad/

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/asus...-179-50010897/

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 5 16GB Black, 27" Late-2013 maxed-out iMac, iPad 2 32GB WiFi + 3G & Various iPhones from 3GS-5
    Apple and Android Fan

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

I have a Kindle Fire, Xoom, Asus Transformer Prime, and a Nexus - the Nexus is outstanding an my favorite.

Keep in mind that if you read a lot of online forums, you will always get a skewed picture of how many problems a device might have, because it's the people who are having problems that are going to be more likely to post about problems. People who own flawlessly performing N7s will be less likely to go to a forum to say, "Hey, my N7 is running great!" While it's true that there are some issues that repeatedly crop up in these forums, it's difficult to say what the prevalence of those issues is. Considering the volume of N7s sold worldwide, and the continued high praise for the device overall, I'd venture to say that these problems are not too common.

As for alternatives to the N7, I absolutely agree with MJKearney that you should avoid no-name or what-the-heck-is-that-name tablets straight from China--avoid them like the plague. They're usually cheaply built, heavy, have poor support, and often don't have access to Google Play. The main decent N7 alternatives that I'm aware of right now are:

1. Acer A100 and A110: The A100 is Tegra2, while the A110 is Tegra3. On paper, these tablets seem pretty good, but I have an A100, and the major drawbacks are really bad screen viewing angles and terrible battery life. From what I've read about the A110, those problems persist, although maybe not quite as bad. These tablets are also relatively thick and heavy.

2. Asus MeMO pad: About $50 cheaper, but significantly underpowered with a lackluster screen. Just spend $50 more for an N7 to get a vastly superior device.

3. Galaxy Tab 2: Costco is currently selling these at a pretty good price (around $180), but they have a Tegra2 processor, as opposed to the N7's Tegra3. I'm also not a big fan of Samsung's Touchwiz interface--it always seems somewhat laggy on any device besides their super top-of-the-line devices like the S4 or the Note II.

4. Lenovo A2107: Don't bother. It's stuck on ICS, unlikely to get Jellybean. Pretty slow processor as well.

5. Toshiba Excite: I'm not sure if the 7.7" Excite has been discontinued, but you can still find them on Amazon and occasionally on various deal sites like DailySteals.com. It's Tegra3, so nicely powered, and has Jellybean. The main problem with Toshiba tablets is that they're such a small player in the market that I would worry about future support.
    MJKearney likes this.

I'm not a fan of the waiting game, there is always something new coming along so you can wait forever

There is a learning curve with any new device, I've had my Nexus 7 since December and am still finding new things to do with it
    At the computer workshops I belong to apart from computers people bring in there a fair few tablets fifty fity iPads and Nexus 7 with a couple of Samsung's
    In Japan the Nexus 7 is outselling the iPad due to being an excellent tablet and a highly competitve price

My advice is to stop flapping about and get into the fun, I love my Nexus 7 and have had a lot of fun with it including demoing it to others which has encourage many friends to get one

Do it, get into the game, it really is good fun !