looking for a CAD app that works offline on Nexus 7

bwyates

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know of a CAD app that would work offline on a Nexus 7? I don't own any devices, still have a dumphone, but if I could do basic 2D CAD without an internet connection, I'd buy the Nexus 7 tomorrrow. I've looked at the Google play store, and the descriptions and reviews are vague and inconclusive, so I am looking for someone who has done it. Thanks for sharing

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the description for autocad ws it says things like:

"Work on designs without an internet connection"

and

"Work offline, then easily upload changes when you are back online"

Are you saying you will _never_ be online?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I've used Autodesk's mobile offerings -- Sketchbook and AutoCAD WS in particular -- on and off for about a year now. I used them on a WiFi-only tablet and said tablet was often not connected to WiFi.

AutoCAD WS is free, after all, so I'd suggest installing it and seeing how things go.

bwyates

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies... Yes, I read the descriptions that said "Work on designs without an internet connection"...which is why I wrote "and the descriptions and reviews are vague and inconclusive" in my post. I've also read the reviews that say "Create an autodesk account just to view CAD files? Go f*** yourselves. Uninstalled." , and "And no option for viewing while offline kills any value of this app as I may be out of wifi range when I need to look at a diagram".
So Lumenii,are you saying that drawings can be viewed, edited, created and saved while offline?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies... Yes, I read the descriptions that said "Work on designs without an internet connection"...which is why I wrote "and the descriptions and reviews are vague and inconclusive" in my post. I've also read the reviews that say "Create an autodesk account just to view CAD files? Go f*** yourselves. Uninstalled." , and "And no option for viewing while offline kills any value of this app as I may be out of wifi range when I need to look at a diagram".
So Lumenii,are you saying that drawings can be viewed, edited, created and saved while offline?

I haven't used Autodesk's mobile products since the last week of November, but I know that, in the past, I was able to do so without a data connection. I'm almost completely certain my memory is correct on that. While I recognize that reviews may not be entirely conclusive, Autodesk WS for Android is free.

I suggest you download it and try it out; you can answer your question with personal experience much more conclusively than any of us can with our interpretation of what you've already read.

The AutoCAD WS Mobile site on Autodesk highlights the offline-access feature towards the bottom of the page. I find it hard to believe they would highlight it so prominently on that site and in the Play Store description and completely skip such functionality. I will note, however, that I have long held an Autodesk account and had signed in to the AutoCAD WS application. I cannot recall if that is necessary to view local files, but I know that AutoCAD WS is a cloud-based service.

I haven't had any negative experiences as a result of having an Autodesk account.

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
My only experience is playing with them, but I really don't see how any cad program would good for much of anything beyond viewing on a 7" tablet. I think AutoCAD WS is really made for checking designs and passing notes (interacting) with team members on it. So it would be perfect for a phone or maybe a nexus 7 with 3g...

But if anyone knows of a app that can handle my sketchup drawings, please let us know....

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My only experience is playing with them, but I really don't see how any cad program would good for much of anything beyond viewing on a 7" tablet. I think AutoCAD WS is really made for checking designs and passing notes (interacting) with team members on it. So it would be perfect for a phone or maybe a nexus 7 with 3g...

But if anyone knows of a app that can handle my sketchup drawings, please let us know....

Yeah, honestly this is really the main issue...we're talking about a 7 inch tablet here...you really think you're going to be doing any serious cad with it?

mathelm

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Maybe..... way back when my eyes use to be perfect..... :p

But with the whole finger thing, it would be like trying to paint the mona lisa with finger paint..... :eek:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, honestly this is really the main issue...we're talking about a 7 inch tablet here...you really think you're going to be doing any serious cad with it?

Because CAD files use vector- and floating point-based files, you can zoom in or out very far and still have very clear drawings and objects which can be interacted with. I modified drawings all the time with touch input, and had no problem. Of course it isn't practical to do full-scale modelling and design on them (though a stylus might be very beneficial), but that's not the purpose of the mobile CAD applications. They're intended for 2D drafting and design -- which is what bwyates says the goal is -- and in my experience they work quite well for that purpose, whether it be for referencing the files or for actually working on them.

bwyates

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks so much for the response...just the info I was looking for. I just need something to do "back of the napkin" sketches with because I suck at drawing.

TheStanger

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a drafting business and use WS on occasion and my experience is that it is useful mainly as a viewer and not much more. It is certainly possible to do some editing but it is very impractical and slow and tedious. I have even tried it with a wireless mouse connected via a USB OTG cable and it proved unsuccessful because the right click on the mouse was not recognized. Don't buy a Nexus 7 if your expectation is that you will be using AutoCAD WS to create and modify drawings on it...you will be greatly disappointed and frustrated.

bwyates

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
More first hand reports, thank you very much. I have a welding/fabrication business, and I often get called out to quote a job and would like some way to make a sketch right then instead of taking a bunch of pictures and making a table of measurements. I'm by no means a power cad user, far from it. I'm still using my $40 version of TurboCad deluxe [v14] and it does just fine for me.
On another note, if cad on a 7" screen sucks so bad, why would anyone develop cad apps for a smartphone?

TheStanger

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
For viewing drawings on the fly when you're out in the field. I have been able to provide feedback on emailed drawings after viewing them with my nexus 7. I have also used it to view my drawings which I store on dropbox while I am away from my office.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

vmdcad

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi !
you are true,
If you want more help about it, visit the below link and get your completely solution.
cad services
It will be more easy to contact them and send your problem details to get solution online.

cadTouch

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Try cadTouch for FREE, it was released yesterday!

cadTouch 5, the most productive CAD solution on a touch device ever!

cadTouch works offline and is a true tablet app.

cadTouch 5 is a professional CAD editor and viewer at your fingertips and with this trial, you will get to know and learn it since it's bound with our interactive tutorials, making it really easy to learn using cadTouch in only a few minutes!

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.cadTouch.androidTrial&token=fyYWv0O6

cadTouch - The professional CAD application for iOS and Android

Thank you!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude