Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By carracerz14
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Memory Leak?

    Ive 6 processes running totalling about 100mb. Why does it say 777mb being used?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    The number you are looking at does not include cached processes.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    The number you are looking at does not include cached processes.
    My cached processes only total about 150 more so it shoild be 250 total not 777.
  4. #4  
    carracerz14's Avatar

    Posts
    1,390 Posts
    ROM
    Arctic HD

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Reboot.

    Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    I think the balance is from system processes that don't get listed, in order to protect you from accidentally closing a crucial process.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    Reboot.

    Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    BUT BUT...I spent 15 minutes going through the All list force stopping dozens of things that arent accurately reported in the Running list! I am never going to reboot again.. Hah!
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Android for N7 is full of this kind of drek....google wrote the OS for google, not you, so what would you expect ?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Now we're up to 891 used after killing a process that was 150. Even put your car in reverse and it lurches forward???
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    You'll just drive yourself nuts doing this. If your system isn't being bogged down, don't focus on this issue, because you're just at odds with how Android works. In general, the OS will try to keep most of the RAM occupied, so closing processes will just prompt the OS either to restart the same process (if it's used a lot) or start another commonly used process, in an attempt to be ready for your next function.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    You'll just drive yourself nuts doing this. If your system isn't being bogged down, don't focus on this issue, because you're just at odds with how Android works. In general, the OS will try to keep most of the RAM occupied, so closing processes will just prompt the OS either to restart the same process (if it's used a lot) or start another commonly used process, in an attempt to be ready for your next function.
    Yea I guess so. And about closing a crucial process I think I did that already. I disabled the clock and the upper right wouldn't move forward in time until I rebooted. Even windows will continue to keep an inaccurate clock if you disconnect from the internet...
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Quote Originally Posted by Levolent com View Post
    Yea I guess so. And about closing a crucial process I think I did that already. I disabled the clock and the upper right wouldn't move forward in time until I rebooted. Even windows will continue to keep an inaccurate clock if you disconnect from the internet...
    Yes, the clock in Windows will continue if you disconnect from the internet, but so will the clock in Android. Now, if you were to disable the clock in Windows (not sure if that's possible, but for argument's sake) just as you're doing in Android, then I'm sure it would glitch as well!
  12. #12  
    carracerz14's Avatar

    Posts
    1,390 Posts
    ROM
    Arctic HD

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Stop force closing things. The more free ram you have the worse. Android is nothing like Windows because in android free ram is just wasted ram, so it is written to keep as much ram occupied as possible.

    You shouldn't notice your system get bogged down, but if you ever do a simple reboot to refresh the ram will solve it.

    Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
    Thanked by:
    mr_nobody likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Yes, the clock in Windows will continue if you disconnect from the internet, but so will the clock in Android. Now, if you were to disable the clock in Windows (not sure if that's possible, but for argument's sake) just as you're doing in Android, then I'm sure it would glitch as well!
    PC time is based on a CMOS time crystal clock hardware circuit (that at one time also controlled the CPU speed. We used to overclock early pcs by substituting a higher clocked crystal.) The clock runs (and keeps time) as long as you have a battery in the slot on the motherboard.

    In addition, you can synchronize your network clocks with W32Time service.
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Quote Originally Posted by Levolent com View Post
    BUT BUT...I spent 15 minutes going through the All list force stopping dozens of things that arent accurately reported in the Running list! I am never going to reboot again.. Hah!
    dont kill any process or force close it. unused memory is wasted memory.
    they are cached to make the nexus 7 faster, killing it will use more battery and CPU and will be slower.

    read this
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    unless you know more than android predicts and are certain to be finished with an app until next shutdown...this is not hard to do since often crap that reloads has nothing to do with what you want and more to do with what google and other app writers want...
  16. #16  
    carracerz14's Avatar

    Posts
    1,390 Posts
    ROM
    Arctic HD

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Cached processes don't use any battery or cpu so why bother closing them? You are just wasting your ram.

    Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    yeh, so ?

    what about the uncached processes ? In any case, closing an app does not generally clear memory but instead simply drops the mapped register pointers. If Android loads something into RAM, it uses CPU cycles and battery - if it writes the cache into storage it uses CPU cycles and battery....I don't understand what is to be gained ...this logic is just so much BS.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Yes, but if the app is loaded into RAM and stays there waiting to be used, without anyone trying to constantly close it, shouldn't that on balance conserve CPU usage and battery? Besides, I thought that the idea of keeping apps in RAM wasn't so much to save battery or CPU cycles, but rather to allow the app to start up quickly and efficiently.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Memory Leak?

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Yes, but if the app is loaded into RAM and stays there waiting to be used, without anyone trying to constantly close it, shouldn't that on balance conserve CPU usage and battery? Besides, I thought that the idea of keeping apps in RAM wasn't so much to save battery or CPU cycles, but rather to allow the app to start up quickly and efficiently.
    yes, i understand all that even if I disagree with certain aspects of those 'facts'. My point was that my intelligence about future use of a particular app is vastly superior to that of Android's since I generally know when I am done using an app for the foreseeable future. The second half of my point was that it is more efficient to close those apps you are done with so that they DON'T bother to load into cache since they will NOT be used.

    The overall point is that in theory, this Android behavior is laudable, but in reality humans often know better than the "machines" and should take advantage of that fact. In any case, people telling me what is best for me and my hardware is the worst sort of advocacy and not necessarily factually based.

    It's like global thermageddon, where the opinions masquerading as fact far outweigh and distort the actual reality.

Similar Threads

  1. HTC Mail Memory Leak/Bug ("Phone Storage Getting Low")
    By indianajonze in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 354
    Last Post: 07-26-2012, 02:20 AM
  2. Memory leak and bad battery life
    By BoostedGT in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 07:01 PM
  3. Memory leak anyone else?
    By bryonp in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 09:53 PM
  4. memory leak
    By rhcmhc#ac in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2010, 07:33 PM
  5. why is there so much memory leak
    By Rickbubello in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 08:46 AM

Posting Permissions

B