Maps app starts on its own at random times

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I dont even have location services enabled at the moment so I dont know what the google Maps app's deal is. I would just disable it but I like to use it occasionally and having to reenable it each time would get annoying.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I dont even have location services enabled at the moment so I dont know what the google Maps app's deal is. I would just disable it but I like to use it occasionally and having to reenable it each time would get annoying.

Google maps are uses across Android. so if you open an app with some maps/location capture feature on it they will use maps. so it will run again.
since its used across apps it is build as a service which will start running again even if you close it.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
it's there so google apps can serve location specific advertising, even if your particular app set does not use a map or GPS.

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
There weren't any other apps running at the time except my browser. I also turned off location access, how does that not disable location specific advertising? How can I disable this? Without disabling maps?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that the Maps app actually opened up on your screen, or you just noticed it in the Settings/Running Apps list?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Levolent com

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying that the Maps app actually opened up on your screen, or you just noticed it in the Settings/Running Apps list?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

The latter. It's also one of the few programs that actually show there like they're supposed to. I can go through each app in the All list and find a couple dozen more. Have to do that every reboot, fun stuff. Maps is the only one that seems to pop back on its own every 30-60minutes

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is related to the whole issue of how Android memory management works. The Maps process keeps restarting because it's usually a frequently used app, and Android tries to keep its RAM filled with frequently used apps so that they can start at a moment's notice. If it isn't in resident memory when you want to start it up, it'll do so much more sluggishly, and you'll wonder why your system is so laggy.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay