Google Play Music Settings

groberts0

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I posted before about available memory for music on the N7 and, to cut a long story short, have restricted my music to 6GB using the Device Only setting. I presumed that having done this and as long as I didn't change the choice of music, once downloaded onto the device that was it.

Having recently installed the excellent My Data Manager app I can now see that each day I boot up the N7 a whole load of data is still being downloaded to Google Play Music, far exceeding that of other apps. I presume I need to tun something off to stop this occurring - any advice please?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I posted before about available memory for music on the N7 and, to cut a long story short, have restricted my music to 6GB using the Device Only setting. I presumed that having done this and as long as I didn't change the choice of music, once downloaded onto the device that was it.

Having recently installed the excellent My Data Manager app I can now see that each day I boot up the N7 a whole load of data is still being downloaded to Google Play Music, far exceeding that of other apps. I presume I need to tun something off to stop this occurring - any advice please?

open music app-->menu--->settings-->uncheck Automatically cache

groberts0

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks DavdEB Smith that looks promising, have unchecked & will see how it goes & report back. Didn't realize all those syncing options were hidden in there - will try to remember that in the future.

groberts0

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately having unchecked the Google Play Music (GPM) under Settings has not cleared the problem, which is so extreme I am thinking of disabling Google Play Music, which would be very disappointing. Despite unchecking both the above and running under Device Only, it's seems like each time I go onto WiFi GPM downloads the chosen music every time. I must be missing something obvious but can't figure out what. Help please?

groberts0

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
As I am not getting anywhere here & urgently need to resolve the issue, I thought I would restate the problem:

• I have Google Play Music (GPM) set to Device Only but when I go onto WiFi GPM is using most of the bandwidth and lots of MB presumably downloading something e.g. if left alone after going online GPM will have used say +600MB of memory, which (a) should not be necessary and (b) I cannot afford to continue to let run. I suspect it keeps re-loading the music as the top right info swipe tab says either it "can't download music right now" when offline or that it is downloading, despite the same music already being on the N7.
  • I have turned off the caching and automatic sync within GPM but still the above continues.
  • My main goal is to stop this happening - how / what have I overlooked?

Alternatively and, perhaps as an intermediate solution, can / should I either Disable GPM or what happens if I use Force Stop, would this cause any other problems? Failing all this, is there another / better music app I could use?

Last edited:

JayJ-1974

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you restricted background data?

Use the Data usage option in settings, scroll to find GPM and tap to open. At the bottom you'll see a check box to restrict background days.

EDIT- Having reread your posts I see you want to stop this when connecting to Wi-Fi and the above options are for mobile data. Sorry.

This doesn't seem right though, I use GPM in both my Nexus 4 & 7 and it shouldn't download music every time you enter a Wi-Fi area...
Have you tried clearing data and starting again because something isn't right here?

Sent from my 16GB Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish