PC Backup before jail break?

Neato Burrito

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I'm a newbie, so bear with me here.

I want to jailbreak my Nexus 7, but don't want to lose all of my stuff. Is there a way for me to download all of my memory to my PC, then jailbreak it, and put all of my memory back on?

Thanks
-Burrito

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I'm a newbie, so bear with me here.

I want to jailbreak my Nexus 7, but don't want to lose all of my stuff. Is there a way for me to download all of my memory to my PC, then jailbreak it, and put all of my memory back on?

Thanks
-Burrito

use carbon to backup https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&token=-1A1O-TT

copy backup to pc

use this to root http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...er-factory-restore-root-any-nexus-device.html

xzb6np

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Oddly, I went to the play store to get carbon and it says its not available for my device:'(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Oddly, I went to the play store to get carbon and it says its not available for my device:'(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

you must be using motorola devices then.
Note: Carbon is NOT available to Motorola devices. This is because Motorola phones have a bug that break Android's backup mechanism. Until this is fixed by Motorola, Carbon will not work on those Androids.

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I just used Carbon to backup all the app data on my N7. Basically install Carbon on pc, Carbon on Android, then you gotta install the google adb drivers (I had to, at least). To do that, open carbon for pc, at the bottom of the little window you'll see a clickable link that says "you may need to install drivers". Click that, then on the webpage it opens download the "Google drivers for Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10". The linked youtube video will show you how to install them (except you install from the .zip file downloaded on that page, not from the Android SDK as the video says). You must extract the zip file, the .inf driver file is inside. Then you fire up carbon on PC and the nexus, plug it in, and you should be ready to go.

Make sure you copy all the backed up data from the "carbon" folder on your nexus to your hard drive before you unlock it. You wouldn't want to back everything up and then end up wiping that backup. The you can just copy over any other folders you want to save like DCIM, Downloads, Movies, Music, etc. All those can be copied right back over once you unlock. The "carbon" folder needs to be copied back over, and then restored by opening carbon and choosing to restore your data.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae