4.2.2 Update

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I also had no problems with 4.2.1. I updated my stock rom, rooted N7 using cwm recovery and the update file I downloaded from another site. With Supersu and Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, I kept root and cwm recovery through the process. 4.2.2 is running great.

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
God that annoys me too!! Still no OTA update for me yet in Texas. Will try again when I get home tonight.

I haven't experienced it until now because I went from 4.1 to 4.2.2. Looks like I'll have to find a happy medium for my brightness now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

emul8ter25

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Could not agree with you more. I recently did the same thing.

I'm waiting for confirmation that this doesn't totally suck with lag and freezing before updating. I finally got fed up with 4.2.1's absolute suckitude and reverted to 4.1.2 not 10 days ago after suffering 3 months and I'd rather have the responsive tablet I bought than the broken mess Google made it into with their half-arsed update.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I haven't experienced it until now because I went from 4.1 to 4.2.2. Looks like I'll have to find a happy medium for my brightness now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The problem is that the light sensor is over-sensitive and a bit erratic (almost certainly a software problem since it worked fine before 4.2). I use an app called "custom auto brightness" which allows you to change the brightness at different sensor levels. With a little experimentation, I learned where the erratic behavior happened (mostly under 10 lux or lumens or whatever measure they use) and "flattened the curve" so sensor values within that range all resolve to the same brightness.

It's a tad brighter than I like in absolute darkness and a skosh dimmer than I'd like sitting next to a 25W light, but that flicker was driving me bat-guano crazy.

It's a bug, not a serious one since aftermarket brightness apps exist and of course you can always go manual on the brightness, but a bug nonetheless.

stirling

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
So far I've noticed 3 things. The pull down menus don't bounced closed by themselves anymore, Currents doesn't kill the speed of the tablet, and the biggie is, auto brightness isn't flickery like it was in 4.2.1.

ThreeChordMonte

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got the update myself with the 16gb WiFi only Nexus 7. Seems smoother. Trying they auto brightness now.

Seems that auto brightness is better in bright rooms. I will have to try in low light later tonight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Just got the 4.2.2 Immediately followed by an update for Google Now which includes a widget. And it's true that the Notification and Settings shades now stay put - small but welcome change.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums