Nexus 7 Screen powers off randomly

jyoungjr

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Google nexus 7 (now on 4.2.2) that randomly turns off the screen. Not in a specific app, have done factory reset and still having this issue? is anyone else?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I searched and didn't see anyone else with this listed.

jlewsader

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
In noticed the same issue with mine. Just received it Wednesday and running 4.2.2. l will go to turn It on and it has shut down. Battery had never been below 70%. I just noticed today that if I bump or shake it, even gently, it will shut down. I think it's going back to newegg Monday

jlangstaff90

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I think I may be having this problem, the screen keeps going off then when I go to turn it back on and swipe to unlock the screen it won't do this.

Is this the problem you are having?!

Only had it a few month too.

Thanks

DogNo1

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, My Nexus 7 does exactly the same thing. the screen shuts down unexpectedly and then pressing the power button and swiping to unlock doesn't have any effect. I have set my Automatic brightness setting to the lowest level available but can't find any way to disable it completely. the automatic sleep setting is at 30 minutes but this doesn't help the problem. On another forum, someone suggested that the connection between the battery and the charging port was the problem and that touching the machine near the charging port caused this unexpected shutdown. I do notice the the machine seem to go down when I'm holding it in portrait mode. Does anyone have any suggestions or work-arounds? Thanks.

Fiftypence

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I solved my problem. I had one of those cases with the sleep/wake magnets in, when I folded the front flap\cover around the back too hold in one hand... the magnets against the back would put it to sleep/wake. But didn't seem to be all areas which would part explain the randomness. :p

Hope this helps.

tugboatx

May 23, 2013
Visit site
This Fixed it!! It was the case. I folded the cover back & the magnet was putting it to sleep.. It almost met its End.... Works great now, Just hold the cover out to the side..

Claudio Arriola

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems to be working for me well. I took off the flap and it has not turned off for over an hour. I put it on, fold it, and I get the random power off. Thanks for taking the time to share this

libraryqueen

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem constantly. I even took a new device back and exchanged it for another one, but the problem persisted. When I removed it from the keyboard case I kept it in, the problem completely disappeared, and I have had no problems since. I use a different case with no keyboard attachment, and my device works perfectly.

sastanley

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Another thanks from me--my wife kept pestering me with this issue at bedtime..a fifteen second AC search and problem solved:) :cool: some times it is so simple yet frustrating.

sheldontoronto

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Was experiencing the random shut off to lock screen.. Read and tried all the solutions. None worked. Then my 14 yr old nephew told me to try it outside of the case that had magnets. W O R K I N G just fine now. Tried n7 back in case again and problem returned. Simple fix
:-$

It might have something to do with the sofeware updates that made the n7 more sensitive to magnets. Ordering a simple tpu case (exactly the same one on my n4 phone) now

chillzmonolo

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm gonna remove it from my case and I hope that works cause I was was about to send it back to amazon for the second time. (Fingers are crossed) what other case should I get with out the magnet?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, I have the Roocase Ultra-Slim case which has the smart cover feature, and I've never had a problem with the magnet putting the screen to sleep when the cover is folded back. So if you're looking for a well-designed case for your Nexus 7 1st gen, look no further!

Walter Kaeding

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
We have N 7's . One is 16GB one, the other is 32GB with 3G. Both of them do this random shutdown of the screen. They are on android 4.3, but were doing the same on 4.22. It does not matter what app you are running. When the screen shuts down, you can get it back sometimes by tilting the tablet back and forth (Gyro action). It is quite intermittent, sometimes it only occurs once a week. When it happens, it tends to want to keep doing it (blank the screen) until you re-boot it. My guess is this is either a BIOS or Android OS problem. Anybody else got some useful tips?
Screen time out is set for max, I will try it with auto brithness off and see. Walt K
......We also have the shutdown cases, will try and keep the magnetic side clear and see how that goes.

Last edited:

Geoff Kuhfeldt

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Have a 1st gen 32gb Nexus 7, it was exhibiting this behavior, it started out f the blue 2 days ago, and was getting really annoying. I tried the case fix, nope. Tried the auto brightness fix, nope. I was reading about it in the dark with the auto brightness off and it did it twice and I noticed, the screen would dim a precise amount and then go black. This was just how the sleep function behaved. I went and looked, no sleep interval was set, set it for 1 minute, it had been an hour, all is well.

Tldr: try setting a sleep time interval.