Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Default Nexus 7 Screen powers off randomly

I have a Google nexus 7 (now on 4.2.2) that randomly turns off the screen. Not in a specific app, have done factory reset and still having this issue? is anyone else?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post. I searched and didn't see anyone else with this listed.

Default Re: Nexus 7 Screen powers off randomly

Does it power down and require a full restart or just it goes into sleep mode?

Turn auto-brightness off. If that doesn't work, change the screen timeout.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

In noticed the same issue with mine. Just received it Wednesday and running 4.2.2. l will go to turn It on and it has shut down. Battery had never been below 70%. I just noticed today that if I bump or shake it, even gently, it will shut down. I think it's going back to newegg Monday

Ya my wife's Nexus 7 is doing the exact same thing. I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the most recent os update

Sent mine back and got a replacement locally and have been problem free for a week now. I guess mine was just a lemon.

I think I may be having this problem, the screen keeps going off then when I go to turn it back on and swipe to unlock the screen it won't do this.

Is this the problem you are having?!

Only had it a few month too.

Thanks

Question Re: Nexus 7 Screen powers off randomly

Yes, My Nexus 7 does exactly the same thing. the screen shuts down unexpectedly and then pressing the power button and swiping to unlock doesn't have any effect. I have set my Automatic brightness setting to the lowest level available but can't find any way to disable it completely. the automatic sleep setting is at 30 minutes but this doesn't help the problem. On another forum, someone suggested that the connection between the battery and the charging port was the problem and that touching the machine near the charging port caused this unexpected shutdown. I do notice the the machine seem to go down when I'm holding it in portrait mode. Does anyone have any suggestions or work-arounds? Thanks.

have you tried popping off the back panel to see if the battery connection is loose?
    Thanked by:

I solved my problem. I had one of those cases with the sleep/wake magnets in, when I folded the front flap\cover around the back too hold in one hand... the magnets against the back would put it to sleep/wake. But didn't seem to be all areas which would part explain the randomness.

Hope this helps.
    Thanked by:

This Fixed it!! It was the case. I folded the cover back & the magnet was putting it to sleep.. It almost met its End.... Works great now, Just hold the cover out to the side..

It seems to be working for me well. I took off the flap and it has not turned off for over an hour. I put it on, fold it, and I get the random power off. Thanks for taking the time to share this

I had this problem constantly. I even took a new device back and exchanged it for another one, but the problem persisted. When I removed it from the keyboard case I kept it in, the problem completely disappeared, and I have had no problems since. I use a different case with no keyboard attachment, and my device works perfectly.

Thumbs up Re: Nexus 7 Screen powers off randomly

Another thanks from me--my wife kept pestering me with this issue at bedtime..a fifteen second AC search and problem solved:-) some times it is so simple yet frustrating.

Was experiencing the random shut off to lock screen.. Read and tried all the solutions. None worked. Then my 14 yr old nephew told me to try it outside of the case that had magnets. W O R K I N G just fine now. Tried n7 back in case again and problem returned. Simple fix

It might have something to do with the sofeware updates that made the n7 more sensitive to magnets. Ordering a simple tpu case (exactly the same one on my n4 phone) now

Quote Originally Posted by sheldontoronto View Post

It might have something to do with the sofeware updates that made the n7 more sensitive to magnets.
    Not likely. Some "smart" cases just aren't very...

I'm gonna remove it from my case and I hope that works cause I was was about to send it back to amazon for the second time. (Fingers are crossed) what other case should I get with out the magnet?

For what it's worth, I have the Roocase Ultra-Slim case which has the smart cover feature, and I've never had a problem with the magnet putting the screen to sleep when the cover is folded back. So if you're looking for a well-designed case for your Nexus 7 1st gen, look no further!

We have N 7's . One is 16GB one, the other is 32GB with 3G. Both of them do this random shutdown of the screen. They are on android 4.3, but were doing the same on 4.22. It does not matter what app you are running. When the screen shuts down, you can get it back sometimes by tilting the tablet back and forth (Gyro action). It is quite intermittent, sometimes it only occurs once a week. When it happens, it tends to want to keep doing it (blank the screen) until you re-boot it. My guess is this is either a BIOS or Android OS problem. Anybody else got some useful tips?
    Screen time out is set for max, I will try it with auto brithness off and see. Walt K
    ......We also have the shutdown cases, will try and keep the magnetic side clear and see how that goes.
    Last edited by Walter Kaeding; 09-08-2013 at 03:58 AM.

Have a 1st gen 32gb Nexus 7, it was exhibiting this behavior, it started out f the blue 2 days ago, and was getting really annoying. I tried the case fix, nope. Tried the auto brightness fix, nope. I was reading about it in the dark with the auto brightness off and it did it twice and I noticed, the screen would dim a precise amount and then go black. This was just how the sleep function behaved. I went and looked, no sleep interval was set, set it for 1 minute, it had been an hour, all is well.

Tldr: try setting a sleep time interval.

I got my wife a Nexus 7 for this Christmas and that morning after finishing the start up procedures, it went down and rebooted. It didn't do that too many times but soon enough over the past week, its been shutting down randomly and in some cases several times in a row while trying to access apps, and no particular app. I didn't buy her a case, so all the other comments listed here seem to be case/ magnet related. But that is not the case. It does seem to happen while its being held but not all of the time. I'm tempted to bring it back, but not sure if that will really take care of the problem. It is the 4.3.3 jelly bean OS system. What other options are there to consider. And what do the techs at Google, who develop the software for this have to say about it and what corrections need to be done to it. I'm not a person to go into the guts of a system to do any corrections, but I don't mind giving something a fair try if its something that will help .here.

Quote Originally Posted by faustus01 View Post
    I got my wife a Nexus 7 for this Christmas and that morning after finishing the start up procedures, it went down and rebooted. It didn't do that too many times but soon enough over the past week, its been shutting down randomly and in some cases several times in a row while trying to access apps, and no particular app. I didn't buy her a case, so all the other comments listed here seem to be case/ magnet related. But that is not the case. It does seem to happen while its being held but not all of the time. I'm tempted to bring it back, but not sure if that will really take care of the problem. It is the 4.3.3 jelly bean OS system. What other options are there to consider. And what do the techs at Google, who develop the software for this have to say about it and what corrections need to be done to it. I'm not a person to go into the guts of a system to do any corrections, but I don't mind giving something a fair try if its something that will help .here.
    Welcome to Android Central! It can be hard to pinpoint the cause of these random reboots. One of the first things you could try is a system cache partition wipe, which clears out temporary system data, and might help things run a little better if there was some bad or conflicting data left over from a previous OS version. You won't lose any personal data or settings: [GUIDE] Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013) Cache Partition Wipe

Another troubleshooting method would be to boot the tablet into Safe Mode--this prevents any 3rd party apps from running, so if the random reboots stop, then it could be due to an app you installed. If the random reboots continue, then it is more likely a problem with the system and/or hardware. Instructions here: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

I had this problem and it wasn't the case. I sent it back via RMA. I've had it back over a month now and no more issues. However, I now turn it off (complete shutdown) over night once a week. I read on one forum that the charge indication may not be correct if constantly left on. So you may think the charge is okay but in reality the device is out of juice. My device would say I had plenty of battery life but the unit would suddenly shutdown. I'm not sure if the factory repair (appears that they reloaded the OS but not 100% sure) completely fixed the unit and turning the device off periodically is a waste. But it's not big deal to turn off, so I'm sticking with that plan for now.
    BTW, I did open the unit before sending the unit in for repair and the battery connector was secure. In fact, it had a strip of black tape to keep the connection tight.

Thank you all for this thread.The cover magnetic auto shut off lid was the problem. I was even able to repeat the problem by setting the lid to the position where the unwanted shut off appears. If I keep the lid in different position the screen works as it should and the intensional screen shut off is away! Thinking I was about to make a complain to the store. clad I didn`t.

Problem solved!

I was absolutely going out of my mind with this issue, particularly with a few games. I had purchased a rather cheap case on Amazon prior to purchasing the device, and, sure enough, upon taking it out of the case I haven't seen the problem again. Guess you get what you pay for!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast