I absolutely need to get around NBC's block of my Nexus 7

girlkat187

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I had no idea when I bought this device that I wouldn't be able to watch my shows on it. Watching my shows was at least 40% of the reason I bought a Nexus and everyone I asked touted how wide open this was going to be and how few restrictions there are on Android products. Now I find that the only TV I really watch is unavailable for free on my Nexus and I'm pissed. I can't return it and I don't want to trade it on Craigslist for an iPad. I want to make it work. I figured out how to install flash and use Firefox to watch some content, but I can't watch the full episodes on the NBC.com site and it's really chapping my hide. Is there some browser app that will trick the site into letting me watch? I downloaded Splashtop but my router is old so watching video is a terrible experience...not even worth doing. I NEED to find a workaround.

Dirtman16

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I had no idea when I bought this device that I wouldn't be able to watch my shows on it. Watching my shows was at least 40% of the reason I bought a Nexus and everyone I asked touted how wide open this was going to be and how few restrictions there are on Android products. Now I find that the only TV I really watch is unavailable for free on my Nexus and I'm pissed. I can't return it and I don't want to trade it on Craigslist for an iPad. I want to make it work. I figured out how to install flash and use Firefox to watch some content, but I can't watch the full episodes on the NBC.com site and it's really chapping my hide. Is there some browser app that will trick the site into letting me watch? I downloaded Splashtop but my router is old so watching video is a terrible experience...not even worth doing. I NEED to find a workaround.

Why don't you pony up 8 bucks a month for Hulu Plus? Then you'll get more than NBC.

girlkat187

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Long story. But it's not gonna happen. And frankly I'm really miffed that I should have to pay extra for the privilege of watching a show on my Nexus that is available for free on my computer. This is ridiculous and had I known that was going to be the situation, I never would have bought it.

HisSvt76

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Flash is dead. Get used to it. What needs to happen is NBC and others need to switch to HTML5. Sites that have done this have no issues. I also use Hulu its worth every penny its my 7.99 DVR. Or use a remote desktop app to stream the web from PC to your tablet.

girlkat187

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I could probably post a huge and political explanation outlining all my objections to paying for it, but I won't go there. I'm posting this out of a desire to use the power of Android to fix a problem. This device was described to me by many friends as having awesome capabilities to work around any obstacle that may come my way. So I'm not looking to hear how something so basic as accessing the regular, free-to-all internet just can't be done. I want a solution and I'm pretty confident that one has to exist. Also, it can't be a flash problem since you can work around that. This is a problem created by the TV networks inexplicably excluding one Android device and I feel like everyone who owns a Nexus should be up in arms about it instead of saying, "well, I guess you got me there, NBC, I guess I,all just pay up for this otherwise free content."

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why it isn't working for you. What happens when it fails? Have you tried "boat browser" or the "stock browser"?
Why wont NBC "let you" watch? What exactly happens when you try to watch?

StevePerkel

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Get the Firefox beta browser and you can get flash working, you should be able to watch that way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

girlkat187

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
It shows me the same "this app is not available on this device"' error. I read that Boat won't solve the problem. Never heard of Stock - I suppose I'll go try it.

girlkat187

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I got it going with the Photon Browser!! It was one of the first things I tried but I must not have gone through the extra step of enabling flash. I am so happy. Now my Nexus is PERFECT!!

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I installed the Photon Browser but I can't make it do anything. Can't get to nbc.com to see if I can watch shows. Can't seem to get anywhere. Offers an upgrade to premium but doesn't say how much $. I would like to watch ION television. Have the Direct. TV app but come to find out it's pretty much useless.

girlkat187

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what to say. Maybe uninstall and then reinstall it. It was free for ,e and I didn't have any problems accessing any sites once I remembered to activate the Flash plugin. It seems funny to me that everyone who has had luck accessing this content was able to do it with a different browser that didn't work for me.

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
No offence, and I'm not trying to knock you, but you (like SO many other people I have seen on this forum) appear to have not done an appropriate amount of research. When you buy products, you shouldn't just assume things. Especially when you're buying something fairly expensive like the N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.1 using Tapatalk

girlkat187

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Well for someone who is a researcher by trade, and who did put the time in especially asking personal friends who own the device, I don't consider that valid or helpful. Maybe there is another thread where that type of comment would be welcome. I shopped for this for a month comparing it to the iPad and the Kindle and not one person or review made mention of this huge gaping problem. Fortunately, I was able to find a workaround, after searching for a month. But thanks for the helpful and constructive feedback!

girlkat187

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I should have specified that I'm only looking to access content that is provided over the regular, non-mobile internet' for free by the content owner. NBC offers this content for free to desktop users, iPhone users, iPad users, and Android phone users. It doesn't seem fair to exclude the Nexus 7. This is free content.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I installed the Photon Browser but I can't make it do anything. Can't get to nbc.com to see if I can watch shows. Can't seem to get anywhere. Offers an upgrade to premium but doesn't say how much $. I would like to watch ION television. Have the Direct. TV app but come to find out it's pretty much useless.

Thanks for the info about the Photon Browser. I have this browser installed on my iPad. Never knew they had it for Android. Just installed it on my Nexus 7.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I should have specified that I'm only looking to access content that is provided over the regular, non-mobile internet' for free by the content owner. NBC offers this content for free to desktop users, iPhone users, iPad users, and Android phone users. It doesn't seem fair to exclude the Nexus 7. This is free content.

That was my fault, actually. I was referring to the three posters who's posts I deleted from this thread.

First world problems. Everyone thinks they are a special snowflake who shouldn't have to pay for what they want.

This comment was not necessary.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't aware I would be pirating anything. I take it the browser is for just that so it will be uninstalled shortly.

Deb - from my GS3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21