I absolutely need to get around NBC's block of my Nexus 7

papasurf

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Glad you got it working girlkat187. I am using Firefox beta and Flash. I too wanted to watch some NBC shows without using Hulu Plus. Paying for commercials interruptions? I already pay for enough commercials with Directv ;)

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't aware I would be pirating anything. I take it the browser is for just that so it will be uninstalled shortly.

Deb - from my GS3

No no no, I was referring to the three posts in this thread and addressing the original posters of those three entries for sharing an application that allowed you to stream the pirated episodes. Using another browser is perfectly within bounds.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well for someone who is a researcher by trade, and who did put the time in especially asking personal friends who own the device, I don't consider that valid or helpful. Maybe there is another thread where that type of comment would be welcome. I shopped for this for a month comparing it to the iPad and the Kindle and not one person or review made mention of this huge gaping problem. Fortunately, I was able to find a workaround, after searching for a month. But thanks for the helpful and constructive feedback!

Just curious, did you ask your friends if NBC worked on the Nexus 7 before you bought it? I know you said you have done research on it but it sounds more like you did research on general hardware/software kind of research. And not to be rude or anything just pointing it out, I don't think a lot of people care about watching stuff on NBC to make a review about it. It's just you who are very attached about it. But since you found a solution it's no longer a problem, and perhaps that's the reason why there's no reviews (if people did review about that "problem") about it. Again, not trying to be rude, just pointing it out.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
NBC will block your browser if it detect such traffic in significant way. Enjoy it while you have it. Rest assured it will be blocked one day, sooner or later. lol

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
No no no, I was referring to the three posts in this thread and addressing the original posters of those three entries for sharing an application that allowed you to stream the pirated episodes. Using another browser is perfectly within bounds.

I have been reading about how the networks are blocking streaming from certain devices (Google TV) that use a generic browser like Chrome.
This seems to be because Google doesn't have a contract to give the networks $ to use a browser on a GTV device to watch a show that is free to watch on a computer using the SAME BROWSER.

Maybe something like this is going on with the N7?

I have tried 3 browsers on the N7 for full episodes on NBC.com.
All of the browsers have flash and are: FireFox, Puffin, and XScope.
On FireFox, I get a message that said streaming to this device is not supported. (not a quote, but it was close to that)
On Puffin, the flash decoding is done on their servers to get around Apple not allowing flash apps. (Google allows them, but Adobe doesn't support them) . It worked, but the voices didn't match the video.
XScope played them perfectly (even the ads before the vid played). Full screen worked and had few dropped frames.

So if the networks are blocking content based on the device like the Asus Cube or N7 and I use a method to view them on those devices, aren't I viewing 'pirated' content?

How would I know if something is 'pirated' due to its: source, streaming method, viewing device ect.?

I do not envy your moderator (censor) job in this respect. You must have a DRM lawyer on speed dial to know so much about what's "within bounds."

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it boils down to the obvious in this case. The apps in question provided direct access to a number of shows that are not freely available on most major networks. Official channels to acquire this content are well known. As far as whether or not using an unsupported browser constitutes piracy, it might. You are at the very least violating the terms and conditions of using the network's services by using an unsupported device but I'm not going to close those threads or delete those posts, because it's absolute insanity that you can't view the same free episodes on mobile that you can on your PC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Glad you got it working girlkat187. I am using Firefox beta and Flash. I too wanted to watch some NBC shows without using Hulu Plus. Paying for commercials interruptions? I already pay for enough commercials with Directv ;)

You are paying for the internet so you are paying for commercials. With Hulu you pay twice. It's like premium movie channels on cable. You pay for the service and the channel both.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I replaced the default stock browser (Chrome) with the AOSP browser as a system app and sideloaded Flash. NBC.com works just fine if I 'Request desktop site'. All sites I have gone to play Flash video really well.

girlkat187

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
A few months later and it seems that NBC has caught on to the Photo. Browser and all I can see is the ads before it crashes.

To me, this seems like unfair trade practices. Why would one device be blocked? It doesn't make sense. If I am using my Nexus at home, I pay for that Internet connection and I should have access to the whole Internet on whatever device I choose as log as the device has the appropriate hardware. How would any of you have felt ten years ago if you bought a new desktop computer, say an HP, and got home to find out that certain websites only work on Dell computers? You would be mad about it, because the brand of hardware shouldn't matter if you are paying for the Internet connection. And in the above example, this is more like if you bought a brand new HP model and found out that certain websites work on all other HP models, along with every other computer besides the one you bought - since NBC supports all other Android devices. This block of the Nexus 7 seems like it should be illegal in some way and I think I might want to make it a project of mine to figure out how. There must be some state with a law banning this type of trade practice as collusion or something. I wonder if a class action suit against the networks on the part of all Nexus owners would fix this problem?

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
A few months later and it seems that NBC has caught on to the Photo. Browser and all I can see is the ads before it crashes.

To me, this seems like unfair trade practices. Why would one device be blocked? It doesn't make sense. If I am using my Nexus at home, I pay for that Internet connection and I should have access to the whole Internet on whatever device I choose as log as the device has the appropriate hardware. How would any of you have felt ten years ago if you bought a new desktop computer, say an HP, and got home to find out that certain websites only work on Dell computers? You would be mad about it, because the brand of hardware shouldn't matter if you are paying for the Internet connection. And in the above example, this is more like if you bought a brand new HP model and found out that certain websites work on all other HP models, along with every other computer besides the one you bought - since NBC supports all other Android devices. This block of the Nexus 7 seems like it should be illegal in some way and I think I might want to make it a project of mine to figure out how. There must be some state with a law banning this type of trade practice as collusion or something. I wonder if a class action suit against the networks on the part of all Nexus owners would fix this problem?

XScope browser is the one you want! I just played a full NBC TV show in full screen with XScope. No other browser has ever worked with NBC full episodes except this one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon