Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I absolutely need to get around NBC's block of my Nexus 7

I had no idea when I bought this device that I wouldn't be able to watch my shows on it. Watching my shows was at least 40% of the reason I bought a Nexus and everyone I asked touted how wide open this was going to be and how few restrictions there are on Android products. Now I find that the only TV I really watch is unavailable for free on my Nexus and I'm pissed. I can't return it and I don't want to trade it on Craigslist for an iPad. I want to make it work. I figured out how to install flash and use Firefox to watch some content, but I can't watch the full episodes on the NBC.com site and it's really chapping my hide. Is there some browser app that will trick the site into letting me watch? I downloaded Splashtop but my router is old so watching video is a terrible experience...not even worth doing. I NEED to find a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by girlkat187 View Post
    I had no idea when I bought this device that I wouldn't be able to watch my shows on it. Watching my shows was at least 40% of the reason I bought a Nexus and everyone I asked touted how wide open this was going to be and how few restrictions there are on Android products. Now I find that the only TV I really watch is unavailable for free on my Nexus and I'm pissed. I can't return it and I don't want to trade it on Craigslist for an iPad. I want to make it work. I figured out how to install flash and use Firefox to watch some content, but I can't watch the full episodes on the NBC.com site and it's really chapping my hide. Is there some browser app that will trick the site into letting me watch? I downloaded Splashtop but my router is old so watching video is a terrible experience...not even worth doing. I NEED to find a workaround.
    Why don't you pony up 8 bucks a month for Hulu Plus? Then you'll get more than NBC.
    Thanked by 2:
    Ry likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: I absolutely need to get around NBC's block of my Nexus 7

Long story. But it's not gonna happen. And frankly I'm really miffed that I should have to pay extra for the privilege of watching a show on my Nexus that is available for free on my computer. This is ridiculous and had I known that was going to be the situation, I never would have bought it.

Flash is dead. Get used to it. What needs to happen is NBC and others need to switch to HTML5. Sites that have done this have no issues. I also use Hulu its worth every penny its my 7.99 DVR. Or use a remote desktop app to stream the web from PC to your tablet.
    Nexus 7 16GB JB 4.2.2/Xoom 32GB JB 4.1.2
    comk4ver and WordPainter like this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I could probably post a huge and political explanation outlining all my objections to paying for it, but I won't go there. I'm posting this out of a desire to use the power of Android to fix a problem. This device was described to me by many friends as having awesome capabilities to work around any obstacle that may come my way. So I'm not looking to hear how something so basic as accessing the regular, free-to-all internet just can't be done. I want a solution and I'm pretty confident that one has to exist. Also, it can't be a flash problem since you can work around that. This is a problem created by the TV networks inexplicably excluding one Android device and I feel like everyone who owns a Nexus should be up in arms about it instead of saying, "well, I guess you got me there, NBC, I guess I,all just pay up for this otherwise free content."

I don't get why it isn't working for you. What happens when it fails? Have you tried "boat browser" or the "stock browser"?
    Why wont NBC "let you" watch? What exactly happens when you try to watch?
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Get the Firefox beta browser and you can get flash working, you should be able to watch that way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

It shows me the same "this app is not available on this device"' error. I read that Boat won't solve the problem. Never heard of Stock - I suppose I'll go try it.

Try forcing "View desktop version".
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I got it going with the Photon Browser!! It was one of the first things I tried but I must not have gone through the extra step of enabling flash. I am so happy. Now my Nexus is PERFECT!!
    Thanked by:
    Eduardo06sp likes this.

Okay so I installed the Photon Browser but I can't make it do anything. Can't get to nbc.com to see if I can watch shows. Can't seem to get anywhere. Offers an upgrade to premium but doesn't say how much $. I would like to watch ION television. Have the Direct. TV app but come to find out it's pretty much useless.
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.
    Thanked by:
    cdf3 
    cdf3 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I don't know what to say. Maybe uninstall and then reinstall it. It was free for ,e and I didn't have any problems accessing any sites once I remembered to activate the Flash plugin. It seems funny to me that everyone who has had luck accessing this content was able to do it with a different browser that didn't work for me.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

No offence, and I'm not trying to knock you, but you (like SO many other people I have seen on this forum) appear to have not done an appropriate amount of research. When you buy products, you shouldn't just assume things. Especially when you're buying something fairly expensive like the N7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android 4.2.1 using Tapatalk
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Well for someone who is a researcher by trade, and who did put the time in especially asking personal friends who own the device, I don't consider that valid or helpful. Maybe there is another thread where that type of comment would be welcome. I shopped for this for a month comparing it to the iPad and the Kindle and not one person or review made mention of this huge gaping problem. Fortunately, I was able to find a workaround, after searching for a month. But thanks for the helpful and constructive feedback!
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Please do not discuss how to obtain pirated content on the forums.
    --Chris [cole2kb]
    Thanked by 2:
    Ry and Ntchwaidumela like this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Sorry I should have specified that I'm only looking to access content that is provided over the regular, non-mobile internet' for free by the content owner. NBC offers this content for free to desktop users, iPhone users, iPad users, and Android phone users. It doesn't seem fair to exclude the Nexus 7. This is free content.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    Okay so I installed the Photon Browser but I can't make it do anything. Can't get to nbc.com to see if I can watch shows. Can't seem to get anywhere. Offers an upgrade to premium but doesn't say how much $. I would like to watch ION television. Have the Direct. TV app but come to find out it's pretty much useless.
    Thanks for the info about the Photon Browser. I have this browser installed on my iPad. Never knew they had it for Android. Just installed it on my Nexus 7.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

ROM
    CM7(Nook)

First world problems. Everyone thinks they are a special snowflake who shouldn't have to pay for what they want.
    Ry likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sorry I should have specified that I'm only looking to access content that is provided over the regular, non-mobile internet' for free by the content owner. NBC offers this content for free to desktop users, iPhone users, iPad users, and Android phone users. It doesn't seem fair to exclude the Nexus 7. This is free content.
    That was my fault, actually. I was referring to the three posters who's posts I deleted from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by WordPainter View Post
    First world problems. Everyone thinks they are a special snowflake who shouldn't have to pay for what they want.
    This comment was not necessary.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    --Chris [cole2kb]

I wasn't aware I would be pirating anything. I take it the browser is for just that so it will be uninstalled shortly.

Deb - from my GS3
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Glad you got it working girlkat187. I am using Firefox beta and Flash. I too wanted to watch some NBC shows without using Hulu Plus. Paying for commercials interruptions? I already pay for enough commercials with Directv
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    I wasn't aware I would be pirating anything. I take it the browser is for just that so it will be uninstalled shortly.

Deb - from my GS3
    No no no, I was referring to the three posts in this thread and addressing the original posters of those three entries for sharing an application that allowed you to stream the pirated episodes. Using another browser is perfectly within bounds.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    --Chris [cole2kb]

ROM
    STOCK

Well for someone who is a researcher by trade, and who did put the time in especially asking personal friends who own the device, I don't consider that valid or helpful. Maybe there is another thread where that type of comment would be welcome. I shopped for this for a month comparing it to the iPad and the Kindle and not one person or review made mention of this huge gaping problem. Fortunately, I was able to find a workaround, after searching for a month. But thanks for the helpful and constructive feedback!
    Just curious, did you ask your friends if NBC worked on the Nexus 7 before you bought it? I know you said you have done research on it but it sounds more like you did research on general hardware/software kind of research. And not to be rude or anything just pointing it out, I don't think a lot of people care about watching stuff on NBC to make a review about it. It's just you who are very attached about it. But since you found a solution it's no longer a problem, and perhaps that's the reason why there's no reviews (if people did review about that "problem") about it. Again, not trying to be rude, just pointing it out.

Global Posts
    11,759 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

Let's keep the discussion civil and on-topic. Thanks.

Sent from my SGSIII
    Thanked by 2:

NBC will block your browser if it detect such traffic in significant way. Enjoy it while you have it. Rest assured it will be blocked one day, sooner or later. lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast